ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dark Souls 2

Fiesta ST-3
Well, it's definitely just as hard!! Still haven't even had a big boss fight get and I've been on it since about 12. s**t!

Fiesta ST-3
So, my thoughts after most of the day on the game (hopefully there's no spoilers, I've tried to be brief)

Overall, it's brilliant. If you liked the first one, it's more of the same.

I started off with a warrior, and it's f**king tough going... Really is! You're not very powerful and fairly slow to attack with the bigger weapons. Some of the guys you're up against are pretty god damn quick. About 5 hours or so in (servers are down so I can't summon) and I'm still yet to defeat the first boss. It's solid, properly.

So, I thought I'd try mix it up and have a go as a sorcerer - something I never tried in the original. What a complete contrast! 25 minutes in I'm further now than 5 hours on the other guy. That's helped massively by knowing where to go and stuff, but there is no getting around it... It's definitely over powered compared to the classic smash and grab approach. I'm gonna carry on with this until the servers are back up and I can summon some dudes to help with the other guy... But it's much more rewarding as the warrior.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
That's interesting, as many of te walkthroughs and previews said the Mage class is nowhere near as effective as it was on Dark Souls.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
So, my thoughts after most of the day on the game (hopefully there's no spoilers, I've tried to be brief)

Overall, it's brilliant. If you liked the first one, it's more of the same.

I started off with a warrior, and it's f**king tough going... Really is! You're not very powerful and fairly slow to attack with the bigger weapons. Some of the guys you're up against are pretty god damn quick. About 5 hours or so in (servers are down so I can't summon) and I'm still yet to defeat the first boss. It's solid, properly.

So, I thought I'd try mix it up and have a go as a sorcerer - something I never tried in the original. What a complete contrast! 25 minutes in I'm further now than 5 hours on the other guy. That's helped massively by knowing where to go and stuff, but there is no getting around it... It's definitely over powered compared to the classic smash and grab approach. I'm gonna carry on with this until the servers are back up and I can summon some dudes to help with the other guy... But it's much more rewarding as the warrior.

Pretty much my thoughts as well:D

Playing as a Warrior at the sec ( same as Dark Souls ) but I will mix it up a bit as I level up ( which ive not actually found how to do yet..) for now gonna stick it out with my trusty sword and shield:p

The map is Hugh and found myself getting lost at times but sort of know my way round now, think I am almost at the 1st boss and have just received my Summon stone :D although again same as you the servers are down and have been all day but apparently should be turned on at 23:00 tonight:cool:

Overall very happy with it so far :D

Fiesta ST-3
That's interesting, as many of te walkthroughs and previews said the Mage class is nowhere near as effective as it was on Dark Souls.

I can't compare mate as I never tried it on the original, only ever stuck to running in and whacking s**t.

Are you getting it?

Stuck in four house or so last night (eyes re now like piss holes in the snow..... no work today, back int he saddle once i've come around)

I can't make up my mind if i like the new graphics engine, or not or the movement of my character. The fighting system seems a lot more weighty and real ...... i very must doubt they'll be anywhere near the amount of cheap backstabs going on in PvP (which to me is a good thing)

One thing i don't like is the run, circle button and L3 for jump ..... horrible! All in it great, i'm pumping points into END/STR at the mo

Scirocco GT 210
Currently waiting for this to turn up in the post.

Dark Souls is easily my favourite game of the last generation, put far too much time into it, however I did get extremely good at it. I reckon my over-confidence will get me killed repeatedly in DS2 though.

I'm going for a DEX buld (starting class Bandit) for my first playthrough.

I'll be surprised if sorcery is overpowered in this version too though, it was massively overpowered in the first Dark Souls. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Bitterly disappointed with the new graphics (engine) the vistas in the background are lovely, but the majority of the in game visuals and character animation are right out of PS2 ..... graphically it is defo a step back for me. It's 2014 theres just no need for your character to run like he's s**t himself. It's like, where they have spent some time it looks fantastic, but the majority looks like they either rushed it or didn't care.

The amour and weapons look poor and the combat sounds are a bit naff .... theres no difference between the sound of striking a enemy, a wall and blocking a strike with your shield.

and don't get me started on The Last Giant!

Obviously the general play style i love and that still similar to the past game. i'm on SL33 at the mo and still hardly found a decent weapon/shield or armour!!!

Gameplay 10
Graphics 6

Audi TT 225 Quattro
Bitterly disappointed with the new graphics (engine) the vistas in the background are lovely, but the majority of the in game visuals and character animation are right out of PS2 ..... graphically it is defo a step back for me. It's 2014 theres just no need for your character to run like he's s**t himself. It's like, where they have spent some time it looks fantastic, but the majority looks like they either rushed it or didn't care.

The amour and weapons look poor and the combat sounds are a bit naff .... theres no difference between the sound of striking a enemy, a wall and blocking a strike with your shield.

and don't get me started on The Last Giant!

Obviously the general play style i love and that still similar to the past game. i'm on SL33 at the mo and still hardly found a decent weapon/shield or armour!!!

Gameplay 10
Graphics 6

Yeah I noticed the Graphics aren't the best and doesn't seemed to have moved on much since Dark Souls BUT I put this down to A. The PS3 being 8/9+ years old so I wasn't expecting a massive jump tbh and B. Since I got a PS4 most games on PS3 just look s**t in comparison ( look pretty soft etc ) C. DSII has probably been optimized for a PC so will look stunning on them I imagine.

I will say though that once you actually get into the game and enjoy it you quickly forget about the Graphics...

I got a few weapons and shields as dlc with the black armour edition but they seem to be pretty basis stuff, noting special.

The Servers were turned on @ 23:00 yesterday and was very busy, got summoned quite a few times and then wasted my 5 human effigy so I was able to summon people to help with the 1st boss which took me 5 tries working out what to do... I was desperate not to lose the 15000 souls I had earned and luckily managed to batter him in the end.

Worked out how to level up and am on 18 at the sec but still have a nice amount of souls to level up with.. Need some decent armour badly.

Fiesta ST-3
I'm SL 51 at the mo. Really loving it, not finding any of the problems that you've described bugging me. I'm already too immersed in the game to care I think!

Audi TT 225 Quattro
SL60 , killed around 20 bosses in co-op and am absolutely loving it at the minute, really is a brilliant game and reminds me why I love the series so much. I am seriously addicted to playing online to the point it is getting in the way of the main quest, constantly putting down summon sign and getting answered within 30 seconds as it's so busy:D I think they have done a fantastic job with the lighting effects as well for what it is running on:) Main quest wise I have just got to the 4th boss which is The Dragonrider but was a easy fight with the 2 random players I brought along:eek:

Fiesta ST-3
Yeah I'm flying through it as well now - the problems I had early on were that I joined a certain covenant which increases the difficulty of the game. What an absolute moron!!!

SL60 , killed around 20 bosses in co-op and am absolutely loving it at the minute, really is a brilliant game and reminds me why I love the series so much. I am seriously addicted to playing online to the point it is getting in the way of the main quest, constantly putting down summon sign and getting answered within 30 seconds as it's so busy:D I think they have done a fantastic job with the lighting effects as well for what it is running on:) Main quest wise I have just got to the 4th boss which is The Dragonrider but was a easy fight with the 2 random players I brought along:eek:

Not done much online/co-op, done a little. I got invaded twice, but saw them off pretty sharpish. I've just got to The Bastille (but been there earlier from a different way. Some how i did the RAT level and got quite into that level haha. I've not really started upgrading my gear as of yet. Just a sword really, i've been pumping it all into upgrading me, so i can wear and use to heavy swag! :p

Turned it off for the night now (i'm not gonna touch it again tonight haha..... maybe early hours of the morning though :sleepy: ) currently on SL65

Fiesta ST-3
Had another good stint last night, defeated the lost sinner or whatever his name is as well as a few others (gargoyles and stuff)

It's very similar to the first one in that it gives you no bloody idea of where to go and at what stage!! It's what makes the series quite brilliantly unique!

I got invaded a few times, but managed to see them all off!

Around SL 75 just now. Properly loving it!!

Audi TT 225 Quattro
I'm around the same place you are , I have just finished Sinners Rise and am now doing Belfry luna ( Gargoyle Boss etc ). I spent Hours on this yesterday and I am now on SL100 after even more boss kills in Co-op:evil:... I am finding it pretty easy going at the sec as I normally bring a few players along to help with bosses etc, can be a bit confusing at times with where to go next as some of the areas have multiple entrances and there seems to be no set way to do them but I think I am doing it the right way:S Not had too many invasions yet but did lose one when I was invaded by a Gray spirit as the b*****d was mixed in with some enemies and over powered me:mad: Couple of Red invaders were seen off swiftly:approve:. Overall I am over the moon with the game and seriously enjoying it, deserves all the brilliant reviews it Is getting.... I am trying to think of a reason not to put it on right now and the only one i can think of is "Praise the Sun!":clown:

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I've only just begun really. Started again 3 times too but not after much work. Just beaten the Heide White Knight sitting by the tree (took 30 mins) and got his sword but I'm now thinking starting as Cleric class wasn't a wise move - even though I made him look like God. He's decent and has health spells but his stats aren't what I'm aiming towards.

Might have to start over...

FFS.

Fiesta ST-3
That's annoying, although once you've done some areas a couple of times you get the knack.

I've got a couple of guys, started with a warrior, then fancied a go as a sorcerer - got him to level 55 then went back to the warrior and he's 85.

Just been wandering through the gutter - it's like f**king blightown again!!!!

Fiesta ST-3
I didn't, but I knew I should've! Balls. I went for the effigy.

Yeah the warrior is fun once you get a half decent weapon/shield and armour set.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I'm really stumped at what class to start over as. The Cleric is great as the mace is a fantastic starting weapon but I broke it last night and there's no way I'm continuing with no decent weapon. I've got the Heide Sword and Fire Longsword but don't have the dexterity to use either. Pfft.

Choosing between Sorcerer, Cleric and Warrior.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
I'm really stumped at what class to start over as. The Cleric is great as the mace is a fantastic starting weapon but I broke it last night and there's no way I'm continuing with no decent weapon. I've got the Heide Sword and Fire Longsword but don't have the dexterity to use either. Pfft.

Choosing between Sorcerer, Cleric and Warrior.

Warrior with sword as main and bow as backup for range is perfect:p

The weapon degradation is an absolute joke in this game, lost count of the amount of times I have seen " b*****d Sword +5 at Risk! " then 2 seconds later "Broken":mad: I don't remember it being this bad in DS1:S It doesn't help that you have to travel back to the blacksmith in Majula to repair the things when broken everytime.. I don't like to fill up the slots with swords either as its extra weight.

I got some good Armour just after the 2nd boss in Forest of fallen giants , its the Drangleic set which is Mail/Gauntlet/Leggings and Sword which I am still using now and it hasn't been upgraded yet...

Warrior with sword as main and bow as backup for range is perfect:p

The weapon degradation is an absolute joke in this game, lost count of the amount of times I have seen " b*****d Sword +5 at Risk! " then 2 seconds later "Broken":mad: I don't remember it being this bad in DS1:S It doesn't help that you have to travel back to the blacksmith in Majula to repair the things when broken everytime.. I don't like to fill up the slots with swords either as its extra weight.

I got some good Armour just after the 2nd boss in Forest of fallen giants , its the Drangleic set which is Mail/Gauntlet/Leggings and Sword which I am still using now and it hasn't been upgraded yet...

HAHA i'm on the Drangleic armour set (most people i see knocking about seem to be) still not upgraded it yet, i have 3 Twinkling but want to save them at the mo, to see what else crops up and (straight up) b*****d Sword +5 ... large titanite shards are hard to find at the moment.

i'm only on SL95 ...... just in front of the gargoyle door is the PERFECT place for an (grey) invader ambush - they're coming through thick and fast there..... shame most are not carrying many sOuLs.....still fun watching them spawn and you're stood there wearing a smile!!! hahaha

Farming large titanite shards/chunks in Black Glutch is a pain in the arse. Your poison protection is pitiful, i had the Poisonbite Ring, best poison resit gear i had and eating the anti poison fruit.... you still get fully HP draining poisoned in 2 spits from them statues!!!

That said, my b*****d sword is now on +7 and i have a few large shards spare to see what else comes along.

The anti re-spawning enemies is NOT GOOD for farming gear though

You've missed the point mate - farming mean clearing an area for enemies for their drops, then reset it again at a bonfire and do it all again.

Now enemies only spawn so many times (not sure on exact number yet) and they won't return until NG+ OR by burning a bonfire aesthetic which brings the enemies back, BUT at NQ+ levels of toughness

Last edited:
  UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
You've missed the point mate - farming mean clearing an area for enemies for their drops, then reset it again at a bonfire and do it all again.

Now enemies only spawn so many times (not sure on exact number yet) and they won't return until NG+ OR by burning a bonfire aesthetic which brings the enemies back, BUT at NQ+ levels of toughness

Yes, I know what farming is LOL. What I meant was - and I didn't word it correctly - when you hit a certain amount of deaths, the game mechanic makes it easier for you by removing certain enemies. So they won't respawn when you die say, 50 times. Farming in DeS and DkS rewarded very well, but it appears they've now restricted the player but only when, ironically, they die enough times.

Lighting a torch or bonfire in a nearby area to certain enemies prevents them from respawning, too. The light scares them off.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I started again last night and must have spent 3 hours trying to kill the 3 hippo cylops in Betwixt. First one near the Witches' house and the 2 down by the coast next to the coffin.

My. God. That was frustrating. First one (before tutorial area) drops a Stone Ring and 1k souls. The other two drop 1k souls and apparently one of the witches gives you a ladel spoon, which may or may not be decent later on. I however, didn't get anything off them as a reward (other than the souls). So, during the tutorial area I managed to amass 5400 souls. Pretty impressive. I then died and lost them all trying to retrieve them again. Fuming was not the word.

So tonight I start again.

I started again last night and must have spent 3 hours trying to kill the 3 hippo cylops in Betwixt. First one near the Witches' house and the 2 down by the coast next to the coffin.

My. God. That was frustrating. First one (before tutorial area) drops a Stone Ring and 1k souls. The other two drop 1k souls and apparently one of the witches gives you a ladel spoon, which may or may not be decent later on. I however, didn't get anything off them as a reward (other than the souls). So, during the tutorial area I managed to amass 5400 souls. Pretty impressive. I then died and lost them all trying to retrieve them again. Fuming was not the word.

So tonight I start again.

take a ride in the coffin if you fancy a sex change Scutch :rasp:

i did and i was GUTTED i thought i did my MAN wrong hahaha

How we're all doing?

Been doing quite a bit of farming, got loads of large shards and a fair few chunks - currently on SL110 and with a Claymore+10 (mixed in this game) base damage is a nice 290 with which scales in C for stregh so as it stands a nice little 66 extra - so a cool 356 all in. i love the Claymore - the straight long piercing attack is a godsend for tight spots and for PvP

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I started again as a Warrior class and will be going for a STR/FAI build, with INT for sorcery.

So, pretty much need to up all my stats :clown:

Fiesta ST-3
Currently around SL95 - currently on Iron Keep.

I'm using the fire drangleic sword +1 mainly, but also have a lightning great sword +7 (hits for around 5-600 damage) and my trusty fire zweihander + 5 which is what I used mainly on ds1.

Doing a lot of helping out with bosses at the mo rather than pressing on for a bit - I'm a Sunbro so farming the sunlight medals :D

Audi TT 225 Quattro
On SL127 at the second and am doing Iron Keep as well....

Had some real bad RAGE moments with this game... I feel ashamed about the terrible words that are coming out of my mouth:cry:

For some reason I have had a hard time on this level and have probably died around 50 times trying to get all the stuff laying around:dead: I then managed to get all the bits in the 1st half of the level , killed the mid boss and saved at the bonfire then went back to the boss room to be met by The Pursuer again and get my arse handed to me... not being one to give up went back another 20+ times and finally killed him to gain Ring of Blades +1:D

I am very low on Human effigies so am trying to save them for when really stuck! Not done to much co-op last few days as I wanted to get a bit further in the Main Quest...

Joined Heirs of the Sun Covenant and am at +3 with that, handy for co-op as gives some movement in summon level allowance.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Question;

Will I regret starting over as Sorcerer class? I like to use swords and big f*ck off weapons, but I'm swaying towards ranged attacks and I'm wondering if there'll be an issue if I plough my stats into Magic, Faith, Strength, Dexterity, Endurance and Adaptability? You know, like a jack of all trades?

Magic and Faith in one hand (alt), and awesome weapon in another.

What's the problem with having a guy who is SL900? I'm exaggerating, but if you understand me, a lot of folk seem to cap themselves around the SL120 mark. Why is this? You could surely create an all conquering stat 99 rated immortal?

Question;

Will I regret starting over as Sorcerer class? I like to use swords and big f*ck off weapons, but I'm swaying towards ranged attacks and I'm wondering if there'll be an issue if I plough my stats into Magic, Faith, Strength, Dexterity, Endurance and Adaptability? You know, like a jack of all trades?

Magic and Faith in one hand (alt), and awesome weapon in another.

What's the problem with having a guy who is SL900? I'm exaggerating, but if you understand me, a lot of folk seem to cap themselves around the SL120 mark. Why is this? You could surely create an all conquering stat 99 rated immortal?

I think the term for that is a 'quality build' thats what i will become eventually. There's no problem with that at all. Most people just 'build' so they will be good in PvP - for me PvE is the main attraction with the added bonus of great PvP. I'm just pretty much leveling up until the soft caps (or extra if i need it for my own weapons/gear. TBH i've not even touched magic and faith yet - too many points need to go into them to make them worth while (unless you're just pumping all into magic/faith and only wear robes and a basic light sword attack)

Have you got the 'soul vessel' yet? (not tried it myself, but seriously thinking about it) you can use it to reallocate your points (not your souls) to pretty much change your character at the Witches house.

There's so much to pump your points into/upgrade gear, that i'm just gonna crack on as iam and not waste stuff experimenting until NG+ really