ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange Brigade

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Coming up to around 10 hours into this so far - approximately with a 50/50 split between online and single player mode.

https://strangebrigade.com/en

I think the easiest way to describe this a merger between the likes of Left 4 Dead 2, with an Indiana Jones background and setting. Essentially you're part of a four-person team that takes on waves of mummies, zombies, fanatics, etc whilst trying to stop and evil witch and in turn, collect loot and various coinage.

It looks very good indeed and plays smoothly to boot - but it's not that compelling as a single player game. The puzzles initially are stupidly easy - literally shoot a light above a pit and voila - the pit gets covered up - that sort of thing. The enemies are few and far between at the start as well and unless you're completely hopeless at 3rd-person shooting games, you should have no trouble here either. In fact to date, I've only died once - at that's at the saved game point that I'm currently at. There's a Steam achievement you can get from dying 50 times and in this game I can actually see that being a massive chore to get. It does appear to be really quite difficult to die!

Aside from the campaign mode, there are the usual Horde and Timed modes. In single player again, these are a bit weak as everything is shuffling or lumbering towards you in the absence of other team members. This isn't like Left 4 Dead where the AI picks up and controls the vacant player slots - it's just you and you alone. Some enemies (especially against the clock) are frustrating to take on yourself. One large Minotaur-type enemy has three points to shoot at, before you can kill him - one of which is on the back of his neck. As the enemies invariably face you at all times, it's a bit tricky to roll past this enemy and shoot him from behind.

The one aspect of the game that I really don't like however, is with the sprinting function. Usually you can either sprint forever in a game, or more like have a stamina meter that get's drained as you run. In Strange Brigade, they have this weird sprint 'build-up' - where you walk for a while, almost trot and then start to sprint. It takes a good few seconds to get to sprinting, but once there, you can continue like a treasure hunting Mo Farah - seemingly never to tire or require a stop. Yet, if you change your weapon or clip the scenery - you're back to a walking pace. When you're surrounded and require quick and dexterous moves - this lack of instant running is a proper PITA. Why Rebellion didn't simply utilise the same sprint/stamina combo from Sniper Elite 4, I'll never know. Speaking of which, the occasional radio that you come across uses the very same sound effect from SE4. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Strange Brigade does work well overall though and the background setting of caves, jungle and tombs never fails to impress. When engaged with the enemy, the stand-your-ground versus fleeing mentality are always at the back of your mind. Do you shoot the enemy at distance that's nearly dead and will explode from a headshot - severely damaging several other enemies nearby? Or the other skeleton that's almost upon you who currently has full health?

All of the weapons so far are really satisfying to use and the grenades require some logic to make the most out of. Frag grenades are generally good against most enemies, but the incendiary one is particularly useful against mummies and zombies. It is a lot less effective against hollow skeletons though, which does make sense.

Currently, I would swing between 6 or 7 out of 10 for it - more so towards 7 if you could guarantee an online session - especially with a few mates. If you mix and match your arsenal with SMGs, shotguns and rifles - there are few games out there that feel as dramatic when you're fending off a lumbering horde, coming down the corridor at you. Certainly one to pickup if you see it in the sale.

Anyway, a couple of screenshots I've taken while playing it....

B891FF99E4F949D00DDEECCF09524B5FB474E47D.jpg

8F95278A70915C9BF66940845F68E130E18B1A16.jpg

3122E2336E3DD3EFBE663A80E162CEB99EC4F649.jpg

BE92FAE9511027B15BC245151A687202BD09F04B.jpg

F6B40526631C30F0E86F1569754814BAF8380F29.jpg

C33B772D081C2B789053AAF1C686E815EEA2A502.jpg

F6B5A87131E6FDCEBA90D629A285016F4E42F6D8.jpg

60899C04E202E9B60BA6BF7C54EB6F8F7A7CAAE2.jpg

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Great write-up mate. I might try and pick this one up... ?

I haven't had chance to fire it up and play it other than initially dipping my toe in. Hopefully I'll be able to get a dozen or so hours on it in before Christmas.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Andy! It's annoying reading it back to myself when I see loads of typos though! :p

Managed to get past the saved game point last night. Spotted a few hidden map secrets that I hadn't noticed before either. I guess it would take quite a bit of work to find every single one on all of the maps.