ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

damper recommendations

looking to fit some new dampers to my car, have just stuck some sportlines on her and was wondering if anyone recommended anything, links would be great cheers.

Not a poxy Renault
If your car has cup packs then there are no aftermarket shock options anyway

cheers pal, will look into it, do you happen to know anywhere that sell billstein? Am i going down the right road or am i way off course, i want to improve the handling of the car for when i do a couple of track days this year (never done them before). I have changed the springs, wanted to change the dampers, while doing that i was going to change the wishbones for ones with poly bushes, add a strut brace and solid top mounts. this was my plan anyway, a good start or am i wrong?

RS RIP
well i would have gone for springs AND shocks at the same time...

i think when doing the shocks , you will not have to do the wishbone thing (bushes etc. ) because OEM is FINE ! When worn i would MAYBE change them for harder stuff..

So.. just shocks to be found ! And front strut brace has been discussed on here ; no use because of the short distance to the bulkhead , meaning front is already stiff enough. Back end maybe worth it yes !

so money saved on two items will get you some good shocks ! ;)

** edit ; solid top mounts are on my want-list too ** (search on them though because some of them seem to loose/gain camber because of wear+tear )

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i changed mine on my 172 @ 5yrs and 35k miles for brand new 172 cup dampers all round, new bottom arms with bushes and changed the ARB bushes and track rod ends. probably cost a tiny bit more than a set of aftermarket dampers but made a massive difference.

they were designed to handle well as standard, and they do! so why change it! i wouldnt change it for anything other than a set of H&R's or better!

RS RIP
^^ damn straight !

You made the right decision ; can'nt fault the OEM Cup suspension , really. When i changed to H&R i noticed how good the OEM cup suspension really is. Almost no difference . At high speed cornering/curves the H&R wins, far less body roll.

One point ; Cup suspension is for a weight of 1060 kg ; did you loose woght on your Full Fat ?

Not many people think like you do ; nice one !

so Stava , this may be an option. OEM can only be beaten by expensive H&R / AST pricetag products

RS RIP
^^ damn straight !

You made the right decision ; can'nt fault the OEM Cup suspension , really. When i changed to H&R i noticed how good the OEM cup suspension really is. Almost no difference . At high speed cornering/curves the H&R wins, far less body roll.

One point ; Cup suspension is for a weight of 1060 kg ; did you loose woght on your Full Fat ?

Not many people think like you do ; nice one !

so Stava , this may be an option. OEM can only be beaten by expensive H&R / AST pricetag products

"Woght " being weight ofcourse ;)

hardness does bother me to be fair, i dont use my car that much during the week, just for weekend blats and runs to the shops. since i have changed the springs for stiffer ones the car seems 'springy' like the dampers are not stiff enough for the springs and im getting too much recoil after going over a bump. hope this makes sense.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

ive done some basic stripping, spare wheel, toolkit, isofix bar, sound deadning here and there but nothing majour, all bits that are hidden so the car looks fairly standard! but to be honest i cant see it affecting it to much. also keeping in mind the wheels save a bit of weight on the cup and this is unsprung weight so wouldnt affect it.

it is running eibach sportline springs and i find this a great combo! and its been well worth the money, was a bit scared about spending the money i could spend on a good set of "aftermarket" dampers on genuine renault stuff but VERY pleased i did!

rs182
Does anybody know what the difference is between 182FF dampers and the 172Cup dampers?

I have sportlines installed and I'm interested which of these two I should buy for my FF182 ?

On my ff172 i had some 172cup dampers with prolines on them, and they were superb!

But will this be the same on the ff182?

(sorry for my bad English, I'm from the Netherlands ;) )

Thanks!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
The dampers on the Cup Pack 182 have differnet bolt spacing, so the 172 shocks wont fit

rs182
I know the bolt spacing of the 182cup shocks is different, but i want to know if the 172cup shocks will improve the 182ff.

Do the 172cup dampers fit on the ff182 (as the spacing is the same) and will the difference be the same as when i did this on my ff172.
Are the ff182 shocks better than the 172cup shocks?

I read a topic about these shocks on the french forum, and they said the ff182 shocks are better than the ff172 shocks.

Knowing the difference on my ff172 i'm curious how this will be on the 182.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
The 172 cup dampers will fit on a 182 i think but not a 182FF

Also stop saying 172FF, it doesn't exist and as proven by your posts your now causing confusion between a 182 (none cup packed) and a 182FF (cup packed) By calling non cupped 182s 182 FFs

rs182
i'm sorry! You are right!

I'm talking about a 182 without cup packs etc.

I only want to know if the 172cup dampers will make any difference to my 182.

(sorry for my confusing post, but in the netherlands we have just 3or 4 with the cup pack. The 172cup is called 172 RAGNOTTI but is never been sold in holland)

Thanks for your reply

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Also sorry for coming over bit strong lol, i'm one of the FF police.

From what i can make out 172, 172 cup and 182 (non cupped) are all the same fitment

182 cup and 182FF (cup packed) are the same.