ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Damaging My Engine

Ive just picked someone up and I was ripping my car, doing 60mph in 2nd and somebody commented I was damaging my engine doing this?
I didnt let it hit restrictor. I always rev high in gears, how else am I to pick up speed?! Any comments?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

It does wear it out quicker cos everything is moving quicker but if your not keeping it for a lifeteime dont worry! Just make sure you service it reguarly

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

As long as the engine is warmed up, then there shouldnt be a problem.

The problems occur when the engine is ragged before its warmed up and tghe oil is circulating properly.

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 28 July 2004

The problems occur when the engine is ragged before its warmed up and tghe oil is circulating properly.
How long do you think it takes for my 1.2 to warm up? Should I just go by the temp needle, coz this raises withint a few minutes??

Quote: Originally posted by GeeUK on 28 July 2004

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 28 July 2004

How long do you think it takes for my 1.2 to warm up? Should I just go by the temp needle, coz this raises withint a few minutes??
Thats water temp not oil temp, as mentioned 10-15mins should warm it up.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

Yeah, aslong as the engine aint cold, because that would mean that thick lumps of cold oil is trying to go round the engine to lubricate it- and thick oil cant, so you just get metal upon metal!

The more modern your car, the quicker it should warm up. Id say 10-15min is more than enought to get the oil warmed.

Btw, has anyone ever had the oil temp above halfway? I havent, even when i did High wycombe to cardiff in 88minutes (140miles!)

Quote: Originally posted by EvilJohn on 28 July 2004

It does wear it out quicker cos everything is moving quicker but if your not keeping it for a lifeteime dont worry! Just make sure you service it reguarly
Exactly, people worry about damaging engines but if its a newish car and your only going to have it a few years there should be no probs... main thing is to make sure it is warm first like everyone says, about 10-15mins.

I bounce mine off the rev limiter on a regular basis!! :) lol

As someone else mentioned, 60mph seems very high - Im suprised the rev limiter hasnt already come in on a 1.2.

The quicker an engine is made to turn the more stress and friction it will be subjected to. Its no big deal to hit the rev limiter - its there to try to prevent damage to the engine, but I wouldnt be hitting it on a regular basis - there is no need. If you want the best acceleration you should be changing gear well before the rev limiter comes in.

I would guess for a 1.2 gear change about 50mph would be about right

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 28 July 2004

10-15 minutes normal driving should warm it up nicely

By this time youve already arrived to where you were going? I thought once the temp gauge shows half way it was warmed up, which only takes about 3 minutes.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

seriously is gonna wear out the engine parts big time. Over time it will wreck the motor. remember its not a sports car its a 1.2. I take it your quite young?

I dont wanna sound overbearing but you will f*ck it up in time.

Get some big sounds/rims and go crusing.

I dont see why revving it will do any more significant damage than not.. probably wear better and run better in the long run. .as long as you let it warm up etc..

300bhp MR2 Turbo

The rev limiter is there to stop you doing serious damage in its early days.

Mine reduces boost until the engine is sufficiently hot enough. I heard that new Clios have reduced RPMs in lower gears or something?

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 19 August 2004

The rev limiter is there to stop you doing serious damage in its early days.

Mine reduces boost until the engine is sufficiently hot enough. I heard that new Clios have reduced RPMs in lower gears or something?
They have something like that..

172s have a lower limit until its warm, too, I think.

TDI tyre shreader

Yep 172s have an early limit plus the shift light comes on very early when the car is cold

Since starting the engine wears it and running it at all wears it and not using it wears it I wouldnt wory to much.

If you want you can get a new engine for next to nothing.

Freds got 60K on his 1.2 and I dont think he treats it lightly and no problems (apart from not enough power but he is fixing that)

No reason not to do 60 in second the rev limiter designed to protect the engine and the engine has been tested so no problems will occur in the warently perious. Its not like your driving everywhere like that.

The 1.2 doesnt have a rev limiter like the 172 has though as far as I know but Ill check.

Laguna 2, Westfield

The limiters are right in the red zone, they just dont put the red on the rev counter.

The engine will have a max constant engine speed, and max intermittant speed, the limiter cuts in after these speeds. Keep hitting it and youll do some nice damage;)

Quote: Originally posted by MarkRS on 20 August 2004

The limiters are right in the red zone, they just dont put the red on the rev counter.
The rev couter red arch are the samea s used for other modesl my dci has the same gages there no particault meansing for them being red at 6k or whatever.

The rev limiters there to protect the engine so it should be fine although you will get more wear its almost irrelivent with the milage were likly to do being the custodion of the car and the amount we drive at hig revs is so small it can be neglected IMO.

Quote: Originally posted by GeeUK on 19 August 2004

Well, Im going to enjoy my car!
Not for long if you thrash it like that........why rev so high through the gears, you really do not gain that much acceleration and DO waste a lot of fuel. :cry:

Quote: Originally posted by Red Clio 52 on 20 August 2004

Not for long if you thrash it like that........why rev so high through the gears, you really do not gain that much acceleration and DO waste a lot of fuel. :cry:
You think so? So when do you recommend chaging in to 3rd gear if Im having a little street race?
If im racing i rag the car in every gear just before it hits the limiter than gear up?
Im not a race driver, so any pointers would be great.

Quote: Originally posted by GeeUK on 20 August 2004

You think so? So when do you recommend chaging in to 3rd gear if Im having a little street race?
If im racing i rag the car in every gear just before it hits the limiter than gear up?
Save the speed and racing for the track days.........not for street racing, or you will end up posting about a bigger dent than the one you posted about last night and this time it will be down to you.:cry:

(Of course its your car and your license.. so I suppose its up to you............ but do you really want the grief that an accident will bring??)

BMW M3 - For Sale!

i can get 60mph in first gear in my auto1.4!!

but thats only cos i hold the pedal down to the floor preventing it from changing! yeh i no its damaging my engine big time and thats why ive only done it twice! ;)

Laguna 2, Westfield

You should change gear where the max power is reached, prob about 5.5k - 6k i imagine in yours(1.2 16v), any higher and you are just slowing down, cant you hear the poor thing screaming for you to change;) - and it takes about 10 miles for the oil to be properly warm, even longer on a really cold morning.

Louises Williams doesnt get a pasting until the oil is at 80degrees on the oil gauge, takes 15 miles sometimes.

[Edited by MarkRS on 20 August 2004 at 9:33pm]

Save the speed and racing for the track days.........not for street racing, or you will end up posting about a bigger dent than the one you posted about last night and this time it will be down to you.:cry:

(Of course its your car and your license.. so I suppose its up to you............ but do you really want the grief that an accident will bring??)
Well I dont street tace as such, but just driving up my road home(its a long road) I can hit 60mph in 2nd. Dont worry im not some max power reading boy racer. Last thing I want to do it kill myself or others, or damage my car!
Anyway, loads of people race, look in driving tales, lol!
Oh and by the way, wats a chav??

Oh and by the way, wats a chav??
I should set a webcam up looking out of my bedroom window you cannot miss them there everywhere round here:(

U should change out of 2nd at about 20-25mph. Thats normal.

If your racing, thats different, maybe 30-35mph. but that would be on a race track wouldnt it.

Quote: Originally posted by Phil 99 on 20 August 2004

U should change out of 2nd at about 20-25mph. Thats normal.

If your racing, thats different, maybe 30-35mph. but that would be on a race track wouldnt it.
Ofcourse.

Mr2 Roadster

Take it to the limiter. The limiter is there to stop you damaging your engine.
Dont be girls, drive your cars to the limits!