ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CV boot clip failed.... again!

CV boot clips - PITA things!

• Total voters

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
For the third time in its life, the off-side front CV boot has let go its grease. Is it more common for this side to fail, or not?

Hmmmm. I wonder...... Poll added!

D.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I found mine had worn away its little groove where the clip seats... this could be your prob.?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Never had an issue on any of my cars - probably buggered myself up now!

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Cable tie been on mine for 12,000 miles now, all is well plus it lasted longer than the usual cv boot clips. Jubilee clips would be too strong I would have thought and too rough for the cv boot, wouldnt it cause a slit when your turning etc?

Clio 172 cup
Jubilee clips dont work on cv boots, tighten it too much and it warps the boot, also the screw part of the clip sometimes fouls on the bolt that holds the lower ball joint on the wishbone

a thirsty one
Jubilee for me now on both sides and work brilliant. Just watch when tightening and make sure the tightener is out the way.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You mights aswell put a condom on it as it's about as useful as a cable tie!

Bought my 182 new , drove it home , first thing i did was put a 10mm cable tie round each CV joint boot clip because of the common problem that they do snap eventually . That was 5 years ago , cable tie and clips still intact :rasp:

Arctic Blue 182 FF
I have always used cable ties whatever the car,didnt know my 182 offside one was leaking till it failed the MOT the tester is a mate of mine and he put cable tie on it to pass it

Giulietta 940
In actual fact, I think mine failed my MOT because of it, but I still have no idea what it is.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
In actual fact, I think mine failed my MOT because of it, but I still have no idea what it is.

I'll post up a pic when I redo mine! It's a simple job to sort out - just a little messy more than anything.

The first 'clue' I've had on both occassions that the clip has gone is a slight vibration through the steering wheel - not really at town speeds - but definitely on the motorway. It feels like the wheel is slightly out of balance. That's due to the fact the grease splats out on the inner rim of the alloy and obviously acting as a 'weight' during the rotation of the wheel.

More worryingly, is the fact that the brake disc is sat in that space between the CV area and the inner edge of the alloy. Grease of any description is never a good situation where brake discs are concerned!

D.

Last edited:
  Giulietta 940
I'll post up a pic when I redo mine! It's a simple job to sort out - just a little messy more than anything.

The first 'clue' I've had on both occassions that the clip has gone is a slight vibration through the steering wheel - not really at town speeds - but definitely on the motorway. It feels like the wheel is slightly out of balance. That's due to the fact the grease splats out on the inner rim of the alloy and obviously acting as a 'weight' during the rotation of the wheel.

More worryingly, is the fact that the brake disc is sat in that space between the CV area and the inner edge of the alloy. Grease of any description is never a good situation!

D.

Cool, thanks. The dude at the garage said the CV boot clip was spilling grease everywhere, and that someone before had repaired it with a cable tie. Not that I noticed anything was wrong...

ITB'd MK1
Jubilee clips dont work on cv boots, tighten it too much and it warps the boot, also the screw part of the clip sometimes fouls on the bolt that holds the lower ball joint on the wishbone

i'm actually starting to get quite annoyed by your constant bad advice to people. Be as much of a pikey as you want, but dont make other people mess up their cars too.

Decent jubilee clip is absolutely fine. You catogorically CANNOT use a cable tie on 172/182 CV boots due to the fact they are plastic and not rubber. A cable tie will do nothing.
I personally use good quality CV boot clips that you crimp with a special tool, the cheap clips you get with CV boots are not a lot of good as they dont tighten properly

Both mine went - and both went on my laguna too
The renault ones are shite

When my drivers one went on the clio I bought 2 big jubilee clips - put one on drivers side then thought I better check passenger side
It looked ok - tapped it with a screwdriver and it just sprung off - nearly took my eye out lol.
Utter shite - jubilee clips everyday - they've been on there over a year on both cars - perfect

Clio 182 Trophy
My drivers side CV clip let go a few weeks back, grease went everywhere. I went to Renault for more grease and a CV boot clip but they give me jubilee clips, 90p each. They seem to be more up to the job than the standard clips.

clio 182
genuine peugeot 306 hdi cv boot clips fit perfectly and are very good quality, you do need a special set of pliers though. comes as a pack of 5 but i had a few in my toolbox.

172 exclusive
originals still going strong 85k miles later its all down to cleanlyness make sure theres no grease on joint or boot lip if there is it will slip and fall off at some stage

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
Just failed my MOT for the o/s one one my 182. Thanks for the info in here, off to get a jubilee clip and some grease now.

Black 182 FF
What size jubiless clips are needed and where to get them from?

Mines failed it's MOT on both sides, think it's only got tie wraps on though.

RS2'd Trophy
This actually happened to me today! Must be a common fault, I used a stainless steel cv clip which must be similar to the one Danny has described, however after speaking to james @ stone automotive a jubilee clip is definitely the way to go!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
What size jubiless clips are needed and where to get them from?

Mines failed it's MOT on both sides, think it's only got tie wraps on though.
70mm-90mm is just about right. I got some from B&Q when mine needed changing.

This actually happened to me today! Must be a common fault, I used a stainless steel cv clip which must be similar to the one Danny has described, however after speaking to james @ stone automotive a jubilee clip is definitely the way to go!

Yup - both mine fell off and failed MOT.
Cleaned the joint out - repacked it with loads of grease and stuck a stainless steel jubilee clip on mine - it's been like that for 2 years, nurburgring trip, endless track days and it's fine :D