ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CV Boot advice and rocker cover gasket problem

Clio 172 Phase 2
Hey everyone

Just done a service on my Clio, and found a few other bits that could do with some attention. The OSF inner CV boot has a rather large cut/split in it, but looks quite recent, as most of the grease is still inside. I was just thinking about the best way to go about it though. For quickness, and more than likely as I will be doing it on the drive, I was thinking over getting 2 stretchy boots, so I would have to take the drive shaft out, but I know those stretchy ones aren’t always of best quality, but has anyone had much success with them? I'd just prefer to not have to remove the drive shaft, as it can get a bit messy on stones lol.

My other worry was when doing the spark plugs, cylinder 1 and 2 had quite a bit of oil sitting around the top of the spark plug. I tried to clean as much out as possible before removing the plugs, but a bit did go down inside the cylinders. After I'd finished, I took the car for a quick test run, and in 2nd and 3rd it was quite lumpy to start off with, and hesitated a bit, along with some white smoke, but after 300 feet or so, it was nice a smooth again. I can only assume it was 'burning' the old oil off? I’m someone could clarify that for me that would be great. To stop it from happening again, I guess the rocker cover seal needs replacing? Or does anyone else know of anywhere the oil can come from, to end up sitting around the spark plugs? If it is the rocker cover, does anyone know how much of a job it is to replace, as its looks like the OS engine mount will have to come off, along with a fair few other items.

Thanks for everyone's time

Gaz

Clio 172 Phase 2
Timing belt off job and it takes a while to do

Thanks for your reply, I thought it would be looking at it. As that’s the case I think I'll leave it until the cambelt is due next year, and have the whole lot done. It doesn't seem to of altered the performance at all, so hopefully it will be ok till then.