ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Custom 182 top dash with gauge pod (road/track car) what do you think

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Hi all 1st off not sure if this is the place to put it so if not can mod place it in the right section thanks.

So here we go after fitting a oil cooler to my car i want to keep a eye on things such as oil pressure and oil temp, I've already ordered my dials 52mm raceteck with stepper motor's still waiting for them to arrive.
With my previous car project (golf gttdi) i fitted a boost gauge into the door air vent and it looked awesome so wanted to do something a little different to the Clio rather than a pillar pods.
This is still in progress so will update often.
Here is the standard dash before.
36a11794.gif

This is a *2 gauge pod (52mm) *i bought of eBay for £7 so got to work and trimmed it to fit the recess.
a5ffa4b4.gif

f0c42a49.gif

After removing the flocking with a dremel i set to work and filled it with fibreglass and sanded down to a smooth finish.
490c7b7b.gif

154f32f8.gif

After fitting it i didn't like the look of how it was tilted back (side shot above) so i then used more fibreglass and shaped a visor similar to the dash clocks so it now will block the sun from glare.
264112dc.gif

12c15b14.gif

c933c7a5.gif

This is all i've got to at the moment but once i tidied it up it will then be sent to be flocked and glued back into the dash so what do you think?

Thanks

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Just think it looks a bit grubby pal, as you as you like it!

I never used the recess when i was using the car every day so pointless being there,
It's something that's different compared to the usual a pillar pods which i can't stand as it looks chav IMO

Fair play for making that up, sharpant you could just reflock the dash and it would look like the rest of the dash anyways.

I'd of personally tried to make the face more towards to the driver for ease of sight when on track but as said good job!

Can you hoover flocked dashes? or are they a bit fragile under any "suction".

Think the pods look quite nice, nice work on it... agree with it facing the driver more but still i think the outcome could look great.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Cheers all thanks for the comments.
As said in the thread post it will be flocked after it's all tidied up, with regards to facing it towards the driver more i would have cut more out of the centre dash so wouldn't have much to play with fibreglass unfortunately so making it weak :(.

However where it's placed the passenger can keep a eye on it if needed :).

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Really like this looks cool. What the switches for either side of the hazards?

I was going to use them as a window switches but wired them up and didn't work :(.
After some research i'd have to re wire the hole thing so left it lol.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Another couple of hours spent 2day shaping it and finishing it off, all that's need to do is fill the tiny pits with stopper to smoth it off.
8cbe0e9f.gif

49abef94.gif

150b0477.gif

98d47796.gif

8fb2fdb3.gif

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I had a parcel this morning and it was my custom centre gauge back from been flocked only charged me £20 bargain imo.
here is a few pics got to wipe the rest of the dash with a damp cloth now.
530f9cc2.gif

7f53f4d2.gif

624ac104.gif

Hope you all like it

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Very cool!

...but it does look like Wall-E's African cousin's poking his bonce out of the top of your dash.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Cheers all glad most approve :).

Nick it was sbp.me.co.uk, although it was a great service there turn around was abit slow if your in any rush.