ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cr33do and Meek_Racing's track car project

Golf GTD Mk7
Your car was black though no ;) yeah I'll be getting a garage. Although not sure how many there are. I'll book tomorrow

RB 182
I'm sure Nick will be updating this tonight ;) we have done some work on the handeling of the car and it feels much better since our last track day :D

Just thought I'd post a little picture of Percy (track car) and Bertie (my retired track car) from today lol. Sad times as I miss taking mine on track... Maybe some point in the future we'll take them both on track and see which is the better ;)

IMG-20110910-00029.gif

RB 182
If it had my AST's then it would be perfect... that's all I have to my aid now :( Going back to standard seats and no cage also sucks lol.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
UPDATE #8 - Couple of upgrades

Yesterday saw Mike and I work on the car for the first time since our track day at Oulton Park. Since then a few parts have turned up in the post so we took the opportunity to fit them.
We started at the back of the car and as the arches have yet to be cleaned during our ownership we thought now would be the perfect opportunity - as both wheels were off at the same time.

Crud and a few zip ties to be found here :dapprove:

DSC_1027.jpg

Much better after a pressure wash, degrease, and squirt of WD40 over the spring platform and rebound adjusters :approve:

DSC_1039.jpg

Which leads nicely on to why the back off the car is in the air to start with. A package containing this little lot had been delivered:

DSC_1031.jpg

Whiteline adjustable ARB - This really didn't take that long to fit between us. We decided to go sensible and fit it on the soft setting to begin with as I have read (and hoped) that these can make quite a difference the cars handling. Picture of it installed:

DSC_1037.jpg

As the back was still in the air we ran new Superblue Racing brake fluid to the rear of the car. In addition we raised the rear ride height a fraction, probably between 5+10mm, to try and reduce understeer. Our car, compared with other track orientated Clio, has always looks rather low at the back and flat front/back. Trophies by comparison have quite a bit of rake. Adjustment of the ride height as been made easier now as Mike cut a new C-spanner for us (would love to have a laser or water cutter at home):

DSC_1055.jpg

We then moved to the front for a bit more simple maintenance. Our pads had taken a beating at Oulton and had reached the end of ther life. We decided to removed the Brembo Max Grooved discs and revert back to a tried and tested disk - Brembo HC (plain). Our pad of choice this time was Ferodo DS3000:

DSC_1048.jpg

Fitting was simple and both sides were complete in no time

DSC_1042.jpg

I noted whilst fitting the discs that they didnt have the dot wear indicator on the braking surface. I don't know why this is as I am sure I have seen others with them. A quick look at the packaging reveals Brembo - Clio Group N discs? No idea what relevance this has - anyone who can offer more info please do so.

We then gave the car a quick wash a were eager to take it for a spin. On track we run the rear shocks on 19 clicks (out of 42) but decided to soften a little after fitting the ARB. We didnt really know what to expect but certainly didnt want to be facing backwards on the first roundabout etc. From our short time behind the wheel the difference is night and day with this kit fitted. Steering response seems improved and car is so much more playful at the back - I am confident that with this setup we can dial the understeer out of the car. The road really isnt the place to set the car up so we will leave further adjustment to our next track day. However, I did take take one corner on a quiet trading estate with a little enthusiasm (whilst Mike was watching outside) and I can confirm we now have Tripod stance through the bends :)

Typically we went out with the camera to get some decent shots of the car sporting its new wheels - on arrival the heavens opened so the "photoshoot" was cancelled. I will try and post some pics up soon.

Friday this week sees us travel Northbound on the M42 to Donington Park and another Easytrack trackday - cannot wait!

Thanks for reading,

Nick (and Mike)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Are brembos Group - N discs their version of standard stuff? I.E not the High Carbon jobbies! I'm sure i had heard that quite a while ago. Your pads may eat through those discs! Maybe a phone call to brembo may be your best bet!

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Looks Great! just wondered is there any engine work etc on the cards?

Thanks. No engine work at the moment. To be honest the motor pulls really well and weight reduction was are free path to slightly quicker acceleration. Cams would be next I think - ITBs after that although I still think they are very expensive for the gains.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Are brembos Group - N discs their version of standard stuff? I.E not the High Carbon jobbies! I'm sure i had heard that quite a while ago. Your pads may eat through those discs! Maybe a phone call to brembo may be your best bet!

Rollox! Will look into it - thanks for the heads up. Brakes feel immense at the moment though although wheels covered in dust after 30 miles is laughable:)

Last edited:
  Lotus Elise
Regarding the grease. I always thought you needed that on the contact points to stop squealing etc?

Dry assembly on clios so no need plus if it gets on your disk you'll no about ;)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Part number for the high carbon discs = 09.8137.24 should have the HC box ticked on the box.

Thank you for taking the time to post this info. I will check the box later but think I know where this is going already.

Mike - I will let you know what we have got a bit later

Nick

RB 182
Cheers Geordie-Chris.

I've emailed John Harris @ Demon Tweeks and will follow up tomorrow morning. They will last a track day or two im sure, just not what I ordered :( I would have though "Group N" would be a good spec anyway?

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Had a quick look at the box when I got back home this evening and found the following:

brembo-photo.jpg

HC is ticked on the box so one can only presume we have the correct discs:) I think the lack of wear dot and me picking up on the more obvious "group N" ref on the sticker put doubt in my mind.

Lotus Elise
Group N was a rather unmodified motorsport classification so would have been reet ;) Nice to say you have them too.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Group N was a rather unmodified motorsport classification so would have been reet ;) Nice to say you have them too.

Lol - yes, we have grp N discs!! And when you realise grp N is almost unmodified motorsport it almost reads OEM

On a side note Sam, do you run 8 minutes toe OUT on the front? I'm getting tracking done tomorrow.

Lotus Elise
10 minutes, -2.5 degrees camber. Handles great, tyre wear isnt too bad but not something you guys will be worry about.

Lotus Elise
The camber means you will loose out a little in slow speed stuff but the high speed corners are where everything counts and that is where it is much better. 10Minutes of Toe out also improves braking :)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
I like the sound of that:)

I was just going to get tracking done as it's a bit out since the new subframe has gone in and was going to wait until corner weighting before doing full geo. However, if they can the camber quickly and for the same price I will try and get that adjusted now too. I'm pretty sure we have camber bolts fitted.

Lionel Richie
did you remove the pad carrier shims and clearance the pad back plate so the pad is free to move? Or did you just whack em in?

(or did i grind the pads for you? i forget) I did tell Ingham

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
No shims and filed the pads so nice bit of room to move. Plus a bit of copper grease on the contact points:)

Not long come in from fitting our latest purchase. Something from Pure Motorpsort- it's quite nice!

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
UPDATE #9 - Tracking and Brace

Again, I have been slacking with the updates on this build so I have fallen a bit behind - this is the first of two updates.

We had booked a trackday for Friday (just gone) at Donington Park. In preparation for this we decided to have the tracking checked and corrected. We knew it was out since the new front subframe had been installed but now was the time to sort it out. The car pulled to one side and that was bound to affect handling and more importantly wear our tyres out quicker than need be. As time was tight, on my luch break, I called in at Jefferries tyres in Bromsgrove for them to perform the initial check and correction work. I have used this place for many years as their tyre prices are very good, although I have never used their recently introduced alignment service.

On the ramps being set-up on the Hunter machine:

Tracking-Hunter.jpg

I explained that I believed the tracking to be out and also that I wanted the toe-out set to a non-standard setting of -10` (recommendation from the boys@BTM).

Here is how it stood to begin with:

Tracking-Before.jpg

Note the toe out of -48' on the drivers side! - that might explain the pull. Also the camber was out. We would like to run 2.5degrees -ve camber at the front but didnt bother with the adjustment (and associated cost) just yet as we still had to settle the ride height and fit something at the front which might also affect the camber (more later). I knew the toe would also be affected when adjusting the camber at a later date but thought it still worthwhile getting it right for the time being.

After the tracking was complete:

Tracking-After.jpg

The test drive on the way home confirmed that it was worthwhile. The steering wheel now sat straight and I'm sure there was more weight around the dead-ahead/middle of the steering. Also the steering didnt tug as much when going over bumpy/excessivley cambered roads etc.

Typically, the next day we made a decision to order the next upgrade part in an attempt to fit it prior to Donington. Mike had put his name down in the Pure-Motorsport top-mount/strut-brace group buy quite some time ago. Recently the group buy had the required 5 names down to full fill the order. Despite this people dropped out and it seemed like this was going to drag out for ages. In the end we decided to order ours anyway and lose out on the potential discount upfront. PM dispatched the goods the same day and they were delivered the following day (Wednesday).

DSC_1057.jpg

Mike promptly came around to mine and we started the installation asap. I figured that if we started at 6PM sharp that would give us just over 1.5hrs to get the topmounts and brace fitted - just before dark. We ran into a problem straight away! The existing nut on both of the old top mounts were unbelievably tight. As we have GAZ adjustable coilovers we dont have an allen fixing to hold/stop the strut from spinnig but a 10mm flat. 10mm spanners are pretty small and dont offer enough leverage to stop the strut turning. Ideally an air-gun could be used here. At this point I tried almost everything I could get my hands on in my garage to hold the strut - nothing fitted properly and we didn't want to round the edges off etc. Only one thing for it then - a big old No.1 vice clamped to the strut - LOL. Crude, but it did the job brilliantly. Shame it took over 1hr to reach this point! The rest of it came out OK but we found out that we dont have camber correction bolts - doh! Will get these ordered from BTM soon.

Installation was simple enough although it does pay to take your time when marking/drilling the holes for the 3 x M8 bolts that clamp the brace to the new top-mounts through the turrets. We ended up finishing the job in the dark working by a floodlight and florecent inspection lamp.

The following day I took the car to work for a shakedown test, through b-roads on the way there. All was OK for the first mile then I heard a bang. Although quite loud I thought maybe the springs had seated or something similar. After a further mile a rattling appeared on the osf - I could feel it through the uncarpeted floor too! I jumped out and wobbled the obvious things (wheels, strut tops and brace). All was tight so I carried on carefully. For the rest of the journey the noise came and went. I ended up at work safefully but sat frustrated for most of the day wondering what the problem was. I even phoned Pure Motorsport and talked through possibilities. They assured me there would be no play in the bearing etc. I got home and jacked the car up straight away and found the problem in less than 2 minutes. The upper sping platform on the GAZ shocks musn't have sat completely at home when we torqued up the strut top sleeve nut up. This had obviously moved on my way to work and given about 1-2mm of play between itself and the strut top. Phew! - a quick and simple fix.

I now had time to pack the car for the following days track day - which proved quite eventful! That update and will follow soon

Cheers (and sorry for the essay),

Nick (and Mike)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Update# 10 - Donington Park - 16-9-2011

Unfortunately no pictures or video from this event. I normally take pics and turn on the camcorder post lunch break but I was a bit busy scratching my head at this particular point...

...Met Mike (+gf) just before 8:30am in garage #9 at Donington Park, pulling up just behind Jonny1*2's RB 182. Infact, it was an all-star Clio garage as next door (in the same garage space) was another 182, although I'm still not sure if they were from the forum. During the drivers briefing (just before the instructor delivers the same joke I have now heard 4 or 5 times) a big clap of thunder rattles through the paddock - then the heavens open and Donington is all of a sudden rather wet! Typical - just the weather for trying out our new chassis upgrades. To recap, we now have the following since our last outing at Oulton Park:

Whilteline adjustable rear ARB
Pure Motorposrt solid front top mounts and strut brace
Front toe set to 10` out
Rear ride height raised by approx 5mm
DS3000 pads runnning on Brembo HC disks

I hoped the above would help counter the understeer we previously experienced and also make the car a bit more playful at the same time. Mike took the initial sighting laps, which were done at around 30mph. I then had the car for the first proper session - track totally wet on start/finish straight, down the craner curves, old harpin before changing to greasy damp for schwanz and copice etc. It's without exaggeration that within 1 lap I knew that the above upgrades were worthwhile. The feel through the steering wheel had increased ten-fold since our last track day - I could feel exactly what the front wheels were doing, and more importantly when they were about to lose grip. Equally, when backing off the throttle slightly mid-turn the rear was definately more lively and I now found that we could use the throttle (aswell as the wheel) to change the line through the corner. Athough it was the first session (and people were rightly going slow) I felt pretty confident with the car - infact I think I passed about 10 cars in this opening session. I came back to the pits giggling and loved every second of that session :)

The rain had stopped now and Mike took the car out; we generally swap each session etc. I think (hope) Mike is as pleased as me with the car - although Mike was pretty quiet during the laps I'm sure I saw a smile or two emerging from his visor - hehe

My next session was completley dry. Oh my, this car now feels like a track car! Corner entry speeds are so much higher than before and its just so much more adjustable on the limit. I think the top mounts give you more feedback (and therefore more confidence) but the ARB makes more of an effect (even on soft setting). All in, the ARB and top mounts/brace cost us about £320. Personally, its the best money I have ever spent on a car and would highly recommend both components.:approve:

This is when our fortune changes. Mike driving (irrelevant) and coming down the straight where the Dunlop bridge used to be, in 4th @ at approx 7k revs. Brake very hard for chicane, exit on to start/finish straight. Ooops - the cabin has just filled with smoke. I thought cooked brakes first of all, then smelt oil. It soon cleared but we pootled back to the pits to see what had happened. Mike and Jonny1*2 spotted that the oil breather had popped off the head and a bit of oil had sprayed on to the 4-2-1 manifold. As there are no clips to hold this pipe on we thought "phew", cleaned it up and refitted the pipe.

It was now just before lunch and I was eager to take the car for a shakedown prior to the 1hr break. Jonny took shotgun for this session and the first lap seemed OK. During our first proper time braking into Redgate both Jonny and I noticed the exhaust pop a little (almost subconciously for me). When I applied the accelerator on corner exit the rear view mirror filled full of smoke. "Sh*t" - I think the engines gone pop. I pulled straight off the racing line but didnt have much choice of rolling down craners (due to traffic behind me). I pulled off immediately after the Old Hairpin and still remember now Jonny scrambling wih the harness release (thinking the car was on fire) - still makes me chuckle that :rasp:

We get towed back to the pits and the breather pipe is still in place. With the help of Jonny and Mick (from ???????? {thanks again}) we remove the airfilter to see that its wet with oil. Infact, some oil had passed through this and formed a shallow pool in the webbing of the lower airbox. Not much really but enough! I think this oil came through when the pipe popped off on the previous session. The smoke during my session was when the engine inhaled the oil left in the inlet tract. We removed the inlet manifold and inspected the plugs - as it was suggested that the lower piston rings may be letting oil through. All plugs were spotless and looked to be a good colour. So - why did the oil push the pipe off to begin with? Was it due to cornering and breaking very hard? For reference, the oil sits dead on dipstick max mark. The last thing that happened before the breather coming off was high revs (in 4th gear) then immediatley breaking hard for quite a long time. Could surge create pressure? - I dont know.

The airbox and rubber inlet elbow were cleaned and since that we havent seen a jot of smoke. We decided to not risk taking it back out on track though, just happy to get home in one piece etc.

We have now decided to run a catch tank to remove the chance of oil (and vapour) entering the inlet again. This turned up today (not bad for £25 delivered):

DSC_0011.jpg

Here is a picture that I forgot to upload previously of the strut brace in place:

clio-strut.jpg

Our plan now is to just run it and see what happens. We hope that it was a freak event and not bigger problems lurking within - only time, and another track day, will tell.

Comments and thoughts welcome.

Thanks for reading,

Nick (and Mike)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
UPDATE #11 - Busy times ahead

Following on from our previous oil breather woes at Donnington Park I fitted the oil catch tank, locating it in front of the battery.

54bb884e.jpg

I also ran the car a couple of times on the road and all seemed fine, even when revving it almost out in 3rd gear produced no oil in the breather hose or tank. I still had my doubts about the engine though. I read loads about clio catch tanks, oil surge etc and it appears although people run tanks they almost never fill with any measurable ammount of oil in a short period of time. I'm sure our breather pipe popped off due to a huge oil pressure build up at Donnington. Only a trackday would provide a proper workout of the engine....

Mike took the car to Oulton Park a few weeks back and phoned me towards the end of the morning session to tell me the news. The car had filled the 750ml catch tank full of oil! Suprisingly, the car still pulled very well before Mike spotted the oil level had risen dramatically. He nursed it home but it now sounded like a bag of spanners under the bonnet. Still no smoke out of the exhaust though.

I returned from my holidays and fired it up to move it in to my garage. Oh my - it makes a right old racket! Here is a video of a cold start-

Tomorrow Mike and I are removing the engine which we will then deliver to Fred@ BTM for stripdown, assessment and then figure out where we go from there. Whatever the outcome, this is going to be quite expensive! Neither Mike or I have never removed an engine before so I am half looking forward to tomorrow and half worried about us being able to complete the removal. However, we are both keen to learn more about the car and save a little bit of labour costs where we can. I have done quite a bit of reading about removing the engine/box and it at this moment in time it seems quite a daunting task. Suppose it's only a track car, so we can leave it for another day if we dont get the engine completely out tomorrow.

I will let you know how we get on.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Great project you have made and I love the modifications you've made, real shame about the engine it sounds like a 30 year old tractor :s I hope you manage to get it out okay and its not too difficult to get fixed up :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Good progress mate...just so you know the Brembo discs you have there part number 09.8137.24 is just the normal Brembo HC disc part number.

Epic suspension set up :)

Renault 5 Turbo
Sorry to hear about the car guys hope you got the engine out ok today, ready for Fred to wave his magic wand and make it all better :)