ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cornish 172 Flamer

clio 172 2002
Recently bought a clio 172 for £420 on ebay just up the road from me and was thinking what a bargin! Until i went for a trip to plymouth to see a mate at uni (about 80miles there). Got into plymouth and at the first traffic light the STOP light came on the dash, pulled over when i could and smoke started coming out the bonnet, popped it up had a look and was all coming from the alternator. Rung up some plaes from google maps managed to get a recovery man to take me to a local garage (£30) then left my car with them after just giving them my name and phone number... Went met up with my friend did some shopping stayed up at his place for 2nights and on the third day eventually get a phone call saying it will be done later that day will cost £280 as he couldnt find a second hand one about so had to get a new one which only place had one in stock at 179.89, anyway all in all a expensive weekend taking up most my money! so really the car costed me £730 but so far not another problem :) Has a few marks and a dent which i will put pics up of all tomorrow so i can get advice on what to do with them. Lots of plans for her as i want to go to Ulitimate Car Show at santa pod 2015 and run her on the drag strip :)
10635910_10204877499367554_6913518318482345187_n.jpg

clio 172 2002
gave her a clean and got some pics, feel free to give good advice on the problem areas please :smile:

IMG_1587.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1589.JPG
IMG_1590.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG
IMG_1596.JPG

clio 172 2002
Rad? Was the alternator aha, was a barging even with the problem that happened, yh need some advice on fixing al the scratches if there a sand and re spray or replace panel/bumper or spray shop job

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
It needs the near side painting. Need to remove what looks to be a space ship style air filter. Front bumper needs painting, the spoiler, is the laquer peeling? Can't quite see in the pic. If so that needs painting. So as a rough estimate paint wise, circa £500 for a decent job.
Oh and lol at the tape holding the air filter
Nice colour though

clio 172 2002
yh the air filter did have a big carbon surrond but took it of as it was blocking most the air getting the the filter :/ and was abit lose without it tho so duck tape it was, gonna get The Fatty's setup when i get the spare cash tho :) £500 isnt to bad i know of a couple of people who do spray jobs for cheap and there pretty decent one of them re sprayed my mates capri and did a hansome job so will take it to him for a qoute :)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
What on earth is that air filter! That's the best one I've seen in ages. Fatty's setup for sure :)

The stereo is an easy fix, pop it out of the cage and bend the tabs out to hold the cage in place before refitting. Quite a few of those scratches will need repainting though :(

clio 172 2002
this is the other part to the filter which attaches to it, will sort the radio out tomorrow then cheers :)
IMG_1603[1].JPG

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Now there's a flamer local to me, it eases the pain of mine going slightly ha! Yours is even cheaper than mine, mine owed me £500 as I'd swapped it for my VTI-s that was swapped for my golf which I bought for £500 :D. Can't wait til you get stuck in on this and get it looking as it should. A fabia splitter will make a world of difference to the front end :)

clio 172 2002
yh bit better will see you around most probably :) you going to the par meet on friday ? yh want a splitter for it where would i easliy find one ?

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Yeah I'll be there friday. As for splitters, it depends which one you want. I liked the fabia one on mine and it was £12 from TPS

clio 172 2002
Right, after the meet drove off with some fellow clio buddies and stacked into a round about kurb, currently left in st austall until i ring insuance and sort it :( back left wheel is buckled and hand brake is a little iffy as is it doesnt move smoothly and makes a scaping noise, and the passeneger seat side air bag went of; me and my mate are ok but i am extremely pissed but my fault i guess but the round about was slippy/gritty. More work to do now :( hopefully not a right off (fingers crossed)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If the airbag's gone off then it may well be a write off. You'll want a new seat (there's a set of 182 ones for sale at the moment) and either replace the airbag ECU or get it sent off to be reset. Hopefully you've not bent the rear beam, sounds like you've knackered the wheel and brake caliper though.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Aww mate :( gutted. Have you got standard 172 sport alloys on yours? If so I've got a clean spare one with a good tyre you can have free? I'll drop it off today and we can go through yours a bit?

clio 172 2002
yh standard 172 ones, that would be good just got to ring insurance to see what they say to do, what way would you go about sorting it? im not to sure myself

Megane R26
I wouldn't ring insurance just yet. See how much it will cost to put right yourself. Even if you don't claim, they will know you had a bump and your premium will still rise.

clio 172 2002
yeah :( haha went into in second and turned and front end just carried on straight think i got dud tyres there so s**t in the wet its stupid, and it wasnt even wet aha bit gritty

Megane R26
Argh! I've driven quick cars with s**t tyres before; awful! You have to tell your insurers if you put a different panel filter in but if you take off your Michelin Pilot Sports and replace them with some Linglong Love you long time plastic Chinese remoulds then that's okay... Mad!

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Where are you now? I may be able to take you to the flamer with the spare wheel and see what the damage is

2003 Clio 172 Sport
As said I wouldn't go panicking about insurance yet, you may be lucky and it's just a wheel and caliper.

clio 172 2002
ok wont ring them just yet will try to get it recovered or try to find a lift up to take wheel of and check around and change to spare wheel

clio 172 2002
wont have internet out there is it alright to get a number just incase, mines 07585778454 if you wanna drop a text

clio 172 2002
will put up picks tomorrow but got to the car and jacked it up took wheel off and found a big crack around the brake disc and a chunck cracked out of the rear of the disc too, couldnt see any other damage apart from the wheel being scuffed to f**k and half the lip scraped off, so managed to get a set of new discs bearings and pads for about £115/130 parents paid :/ got the bearings in after a good bashing of the old ones on top of the new to knock it through; got the new disc on and put everything on and gave it a little roll and and foward and it seemed to be locked on on the grass so went slightly on the road and it moved but was very noisey as in scarping or hitting of something. seen as it was moving we decided to move it up the road into a layby as it was a bit better to work on. stopped the car and the disc was pretty much glowing so something was scraping, took the wheel off again and the disc didnt seem to move around easy at all. took the caliper bit of and it was still the same then took the disc of again and bits of the back of it had been hitting a bit of the hub thingy so added a little bit of the old bearing as a washer behind the disc to push it out abit and then the disc moved around fine so put everything back together again and rolled back and drove foward and it seemed ok no noises so odd movement of the wheel or anything so packed up and went of home with my dad behind me just in case... fine all the way home not a problem except the abs/airbag/traction/service lights all on :mad: now the only issues is which may have have been a factor for the incident to happen is that it seems to under-steer really easliy if im correct, i can turn a tight corner just rolling or consant very slow speed but the slighest bit fast (not above 20mph) it will just drive straight even with the wheels turned, not majorly like over the top but it is noticable, i know tractiona and all wont be working but it did when i took my mate home not long ago and it still 'slid' with it working :/ what would be the reasons for this if the tyres (toyo proxies) are fine with plenty of tred ???

clio 172 2002
OH and a HUGE!!! thank you to PoBox and his sister and mate who was a massive help with checking on car helping with it and his sister for dropping me and my mate to truro great people :) appriciate it alot

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds pretty major if you've got understeer at 20mph without a puncture or bald tyres.

ABS/traction lights will be due to cracked ABS rings/fecked sensor

clio 172 2002
abs is intacked but abit loose, its when ever i acclerate into a corner where my wheels are facing to past 10 past 12 if turning right and 10 to if left seems to be a certain angle it does it at

clio 172 2002
Bad news i have noticed and checked with something straight that the wheel hit by the kurb has bent something major as the bottom and left side (looking direct at it) has been bent inwards slightly, idont know weather thats a arm of some sort or the wole axle... any ideas where i can get this checked ?