ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cookie's 2003 M3

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I quite like the SMG, and it's been great as a motorway car. To throw it down country lanes and actually get enjoyment out of it you have to go beyond the speed limit generally, and definitely drive like more of a t**t than I want to. I miss lower speed funs. This isn't a @Waitey 2fast2wide post though.
If your juke is the baby carrier, you need to get yourself a Scoob. Blob eye STI in grey.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've read what you've written.

It's basically "buys expensive car, moans at expensive costs".

Combined with a little bit of, "can't be bothered to try to solve problems yourself, so spends jew gold instead and moans about it".

I mean, who the hell spends £50 to diagnose a battery change? Or sends an amp off to be fixed before checking speaker wire? Oh Terrance.

Don't buy a bloody megane.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I've read what you've written.

It's basically "buys expensive car, moans at expensive costs".

Combined with a little bit of, "can't be bothered to try to solve problems yourself, so spends jew gold instead and moans about it".

I mean, who the hell spends £50 to diagnose a battery change? Or sends an amp off to be fixed before checking speaker wire? Oh Terrance.

Don't buy a bloody megane.
Nah I'm not moaning at the cost, I can afford to spend money to fix it - I just don't want to
Nobody cares what you think, poor people engine x

Not worth taking it out for a few hours and pelting it around again @Cookie ? I fell back in love with mine again yesterday. I had nothing to do but look at streets and areas where I might move to, so spent about two hours joining it around unknown back roads to with the roof down. Cold, greasy and winter tyres on meant a lot of tail out action, even without being a complete dick!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not worth taking it out for a few hours and pelting it around again @Cookie ? I fell back in love with mine again yesterday. I had nothing to do but look at streets and areas where I might move to, so spent about two hours joining it around unknown back roads to with the roof down. Cold, greasy and winter tyres on meant a lot of tail out action, even without being a complete dick!
I agree with this completely, but with a baby on the way, 4 doors will make life easier. Much easier.
Although (personally) I don't see how an impreza is any better. If the m3 feels a bit to grippy to exploit on a daily basis, an impreza will be worse.
What about something like a mk6 R32? Bit more practical, great noise, etc.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I agree with this completely, but with a baby on the way, 4 doors will make life easier. Much easier.
Although (personally) I don't see how an impreza is any better. If the m3 feels a bit to grippy to exploit on a daily basis, an impreza will be worse.
What about something like a mk6 R32? Bit more practical, great noise, etc.
Don't buy a mk6, it's like the unwanted child of the family as it was just a facelift. Decent specced Mk5 R32 DSG 5 door. Even Sir Dave liked his.

Every experience of the emmmfreeee I've had just lead me to the same opinion as Dan, heavy mechanical and not fun. Just cannot see how you can enjoy one that much at legal speeds.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
It's gonna get a run today, I doubt it will mean much for it in the long run.
@ForceIndia - Hadn't considered a Golf tbf
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512259662362
Quite nice looking

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Low tax on that one too.

They do look awesome. DSG can be very expensive though.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Don't buy a mk6, it's like the unwanted child of the family as it was just a facelift. Decent specced Mk5 R32 DSG 5 door. Even Sir Dave liked his.

Every experience of the emmmfreeee I've had just lead me to the same opinion as Dan, heavy mechanical and not fun. Just cannot see how you can enjoy one that much at legal speeds.
Yeah meant the mk5 lol. The mk6 was the 2 litre. Although does have silly residuals.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As potentially ruinous as SMG?
@JD - Yeah I can make the most reliable car explode simply by owning it
/Skittles
It's the control unit that's the common thing to go. And is a £1000 job to fix.

Just stay away from it. Ffs.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Which is weird!

The DSG is fixable these days for £750 and imo not just as common as folk make out. Chain driven, awesome engine and sound. Will hold its value steady. 06 plates I think are the higher tax.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Can I be blunt? I don't understand that at all. At low speed, it's the most fun I've had in a car. Nudge the back out at every opportunity.
On a decent road, the engine response and chassis balance is immense. The r26 was harder to enjoy at sane speeds, because the engine is dull.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It's gonna get a run today, I doubt it will mean much for it in the long run.
@ForceIndia - Hadn't considered a Golf tbf
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512259662362
Quite nice looking

Right colour bodywork .. right colour wheels.

Needs noisetube installing and then job done.

Used to be one along from my last place - bangtidy little blonde chick drove it. It made all sorts of fun noises...... the car - not the girl*.

TBQFH I'd buy the R36 ILO the R32 just because..

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512259663515

*I have no idea what noises she makes....

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Which is weird!

The DSG is fixable these days for £750 and imo not just as common as folk make out. Chain driven, awesome engine and sound. Will hold its value steady. 06 plates I think are the higher tax.
I think the dsg unit is more prone to problems beyond 100k. Get one with sensible miles and you're minimizing chances of problems.
But it's an enthusiast owned car a lot of the time. I've always sold my cars privately. Bar the 2 that had issues, which I moved on to dealers. Maybe I'm wrong, but most (not all) dealers seem pretty clueless and don't spot issues that an enthusiast would. Which is why I'd rather buy from owners forums etc.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
HRH likes the Passat more than the Golf. She thinks the Golf is, and I quote, "a boy racer car"
Well f**k her I do what I want

RB 182 FF
My mate bought a mint M3 6 months ago, silver on silver with spacers, great combo and stance looks awesome. He can drive too, arse out action when I went out in it, and an epic engine...but I also agree, boost wins.... It felt quick, but not 340bhp quick, 340 bhp boosted feel mental compared, even if not quicker.. I love boost, the sense of speed! I prefer a lightweight NA hot hatch or a boosted saloon, however the M3 is a nice car:up:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
My mate bought a mint M3 6 months ago, silver on silver with spacers, great combo and stance looks awesome. He can drive too, arse out action when I went out in it, and an epic engine...but I also agree, boost wins.... It felt quick, but not 340bhp quick, 340 bhp boosted feel mental compared, even if not quicker.. I love boost, the sense of speed! I prefer a lightweight NA hot hatch or a boosted saloon, however the M3 is a nice car:up:
Apples and oranges.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Or just one persons preference?
It's a silly argument. Turbo fan boys always use power as the criteria to justify turbos being better, because it favours turbos. But if you use torque, everyone would prefer a na motor. Ie turbo lump with 300lbft versus petrol with the same? No contest.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It's a silly argument. Turbo fan boys always use power as the criteria to justify turbos being better, because it favours turbos. But if you use torque, everyone would prefer a na motor. Ie turbo lump with 300lbft versus petrol with the same? No contest.
But you are the one making it into an argument.

That guy just said that he preferred boost. He didn't say it was better, just that it was his preference.

Whilst I 100% agree the mk6 does tend to be more reliable and have a much nicer interior. I'd go mk5 r32 though.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
But you are the one making it into an argument.

That guy just said that he preferred boost. He didn't say it was better, just that it was his preference.
How is it an argument lol. I called it apples and oranges. I didn't say the guy was wrong? I didn't even disagree with him?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That was a reply to you lol. Why are you looking for a problem that isn't there?
I'm not. I'm replying to you who is looking for a problem that isn't there.

You wear me out. I can't wait for your Mrs to drop. It will occupy you more! X