ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Constant whirring/humming noise in cockpit, normal??

Clio 172
Hey guys, I'm hoping one of you who's owned Clio's a bit longer than me can shed some light on this for me. I've recently bought an 04 172, good condition, low miles etc, Ktec induction and exhaust and mapped to 185bhp. Absolutely love it, more than I thought I would if I'm honest. However, something bugging me slightly, whenever the ignition is turned on, engine running or not, there is a constant whirring/humming/buzzing coming from somewhere behind the dash, nearer to the passenger side. Sounds like it's possibly either a motor, pump or fan of some sort, and I'm just wondering if a) it's normal, and b) what it is?? It's quite audible and constant whilst the ignition is on. I'm guessing it's probably normal, but for peace of mind wanted to tap into the fountain of knowledge available to me on herejust to check something's not amiss. Cheer guys.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
For me I have an annoying buzzing up near the interior light. There's a fan under the light which pulls air over a temperature sensor for the air con. You can replace it and stop the buzzing, or unplug it, or get used to it eventually like I did haha

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Its definitely fuse/relay or whatever. I have it if my ignition is on but engine off.

Clio 172
Thatll be your tb mate its normal, unplug it and switch the ignition on and itll stop.
@Christ Almighty Cheers for reply, I appreciate all the input.
Hmmm so ok throttle body you say, do you know why that would make a whirring noise? I know they must be electronically controlled and open and close on throttle etc, but why whir/hum all the time? Don't get it??

Clio 172
For me I have an annoying buzzing up near the interior light. There's a fan under the light which pulls air over a temperature sensor for the air con. You can replace it and stop the buzzing, or unplug it, or get used to it eventually like I did haha

@Rystar
***UPDATE***
Just been out in the car and had a good listen, and fair play buddy you were spot on! That's exactly what's making the noise, so thanks for that! Could've sworn it was coming from somewhere forward lol. Every day's a school day!!
@rs1903

Last edited:
What you can do is pull the power pins out of the plug, leaving the sensor operating for the climate (it's a temp sensor), but stopping the noise. I need to strip mine down and see if I can sort it, I thought it was the fuel pump at first! Really annoying.

That noise used to drive me insane on the wifes old Megane...

Ignition on, and ruuuuuuuuuuuuUUURRRRRRERRRERMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM the whole drive!

Take the casing off around the mirror, remove fan and hoover it and blow it out a bit, then I used some spray lube I think which sorted it... for a while! Best to replace with a known good one I reckon!