ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Common places for the loom to break !!!

Mk2 Ph2 172
Anyone had any problems with their fuel gauge loom

As my fault either points to the uhc faulty or a wiring problem

Fuel gauge was intermittent for a while, changed pump and sender unit.... Hadn't cured the fault as it still reads empty every now and again then even when full !!!

But now it reads empty always !!! My diagnostic equipment at work does not bring up any thing, and the dash test brings up fault f which points out the obvious that the fuel gauge has lost a signal at some point !!!!

Took too my mate at another garage which has the Renault clip....

But he couldn't find anything wrong at the time with the uhc as everything was working as it should at the time (thats always the way)

So before i start stripping thr interior to chase wires.... Is there any where in the fuel gauge loom it might commonly break or chaff !!!

I have a brand new uhc to fit but I will need to have this coded aswell, will it be worth a try or is it worth checking wiring first ???

Volvo S60 T5
Using a clip for fuel gauge problems .... What's the point?
anyway why not just remove tank sender and check with a ohm meter to see if its working, or run the instrument panel in self test to make sure the panels working properly.
check the wiring properly , changing the uch will require the car immobiliser code to code in key or keys and may not sort the fault.
I would try a used uch before fitting new for this problem.

Mk2 Ph2 172
The sender is brand spanking new from Renault and it does work,, I thought it cured the problem but then it just went to empty a few days later....

I thought to use the clip as I have never used it before and I assumed it Might give more info or allow to run tests that I couldn't

As with other cars I can with our texa setup

As I said in the above post a ran the dash test and the gauges work fine !!!

I might give the new uhc I have sitting in my draw ago just to eliminate it from being the fault, and then chase wires...

Any idea where a common place behind the dash the loom may rub or break ???

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You have a brand new UCH sat there and you're willing to "give it a go"? They're use once only parts which is why Renault expressly forbid the use of "virgin" state components to "test" on cars so I you want to waste it send it to me and I'll put it to far better use on a project car.

Besides the UCH has fek all to do with the fuel level anyway as it, handbrake/seat belt warning and oil pressure warning are the only non-CAN signals on the entire clock set.

As Mike said above just check the wires starting from the tank sender back and test continuity at every junction. I'd be surprised if it took more than an hour tbh

Mick

Mk2 Ph2 172
Goodman mick I will crack on with that

Only reason I was looking at the uhc is that the wiring diagrams I was looking at (autodata which are pretty poor) it looked like they were running to the uhc from tacho unit !!! But I will give what you guys have said ago !!

Cheers will let you know he outcome :)

Mk2 Ph2 172
Continuity is fine between the plug for the sender unit to the back of the speedo !!!!

Just ordered another sealing ring and o ring for the sender unit.... That will becoming out again and i will be checking that next !!!

Either that or will it be worth trying another set of dials... I can't see it being the dials as the self test is fine ???

Or could the module confuse its self if there is a problem with the low level warning lamp staying on ????

Also I understand what you were saying now as I have the correct wiring diagram, no idea what I was looking at before lol it's got nothing to do with the uch !!!

clio 172 phs 1
Are you sure you fitted the new sender correctly? Could it be possible the sender level float is stuck against the inside of the tank?

Mk2 Ph2 172
I did think that but I did remove it before and checked and it was ok....

But it was doing the fault before fitting the new one then Started to do it afterwards now it's completely dead lol

clio 172 phs 1
Have you checked the earths? There are 3 earths on the top of the dash,you'll see them when the top 1/2 of dash is off. Worth checking.

Mk2 Ph2 172
Right I had another crack today.... I removed the sender again to double check if it fitted correctly and to test the sender too it was fine!!!

Pissed off I thought f**k it I have loads I spare time at work today I will have a go an fit the total closer and come home lights box which I have had in my boot since buying it a few months back !!!

So fitted that and all that messing around with the uhc wiring etc.... The fuel gauge works perfect now lol

Ffs !!!

So much happier now i know how much fuel I have again whoooo hooo