ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold Weather, Big Grin????

Megane Diesel / 172
Does anybody else's Clio seem to run so much better with this cold weather, I don't know if its a mental thing i.e cold weather, cold air, the car's running better, but my 172 seems to be so much more responsive over the last few days???

Audi A3
probably in comparison to other cars driving slower and some cars still hooning around

i jest of course :clown:

BMW 535d
Cold air = more bhp. Isnt it something like 1bhp per degree.

Cars are always better in the cold. Some more noticeable than others.

Why do you think turbos run chargecoolers and intercoolers. To lower the air temps going in the inlet. Also with scuttle IK. Also lower intake temps

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Cold air is denser. Denser means more oxygen in the combustion chamber. More oxygen means a bigger bang. Bigger bang means more power.

Simples ;)

Megane Diesel / 172
Cold air is denser. Denser means more oxygen in the combustion chamber. More oxygen means a bigger bang. Bigger bang means more power.

Simples ;)

Thank you, well explained so even a simpleton like me can be confident in his beliefs, I did know something abut cold air being better for an engine but wasn't totally sure about the reason why!

PB Clio 172
yep this it true, cars run better in the cold weather, but why does everyone slow down in this weather? it causes more accidents, just be careful not 50 mph on it ! Grr!

Listerine & Poledo
yep this it true, cars run better in the cold weather, but why does everyone slow down in this weather? it causes more accidents, just be careful not 50 mph on it ! Grr!

Something to do with driving to the conditions IIRC.

Not that many on here would understand that. Going by this thread, ice on the road is a sign that you've got mo horzpowaaaaaa.

PB Clio 172
Something to do with driving to the conditions IIRC.

Not that many on here would understand that. Going by this thread, ice on the road is a sign that you've got mo horzpowaaaaaa.

So you think going 50mph on the motorway is safe then?

Listerine & Poledo
So you think going 50mph on the motorway is safe then?

depends on the conditions.

I'd say 50mph would be pushing it if there's a sheen of ice across all 3 lanes with snow piles every couple of hundred yards.

But, if it's a lovely summers' sunday mid-afternoon then somewhere in the region of 77mph should be perfectly acceptable

172 cup, Impreza P1
NO, just gets worse mpg in the cold weather

With a turbo you definitely notice the difference in ambient air temp. In the clio, not so much but noticed the worse mpg!

Put this down to less viscous oil due to the lower temps for the first 15mins of any journey.

LMAO at NOT slowing down for the conditions, are you mad!