ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Ive never driven on the fk's so cant comment. Ill take ur word for it tho :)

LOL, you can try mine when I pop down mate... good on track, utter utter s**te on the road, unless it's ultra smooth and I can actually use some of my camber to dig in and not just jump around on pot holes and rough surfaces hehe

I'll second that, took mine round Donny and found them perfect. Back on the road they are just too hard and the car jumps around uncontrollably. Now replaced with adjustable Koni kit, which is perfect for fast road use. I have since found out that FK can supply an alternative set of springs with a lower lb'age rating comparative to that of the GDI set up that I read about on hear last year.

Mk2 172
Dan - I didn't say it was on AST's as I know it's not and have done for some time. I said GDI were working with AST to develop a new kit, which will be available late next month!
no m8 gdi are getting the kit that dan has got on his car but it can be revalved to make it stiffer but they will cost a lot more from gdi powerstation will do the same kit that gdi will have but cheeper

That is very true. Just go to powerstation. Makes life so much easier and curtis has all, and i mean all the parts etc etc etc for rebuilding and revalving etc for the AST stuff as they are the sole distributor and importer. :) real real top company thats all i can say. What curtis doesnt know about suspension isnt worth knowing!!! he builds stuff for full blown race cars, road cars etc etc

Mk2 172
Im pretty sure ive seen your car DAN R at powerstation around the end of september/ beginning of october! Was there havin my 172 cup rolling roaded! Has yours got black multispoked alloys? The ride height looked perfect to me with the AST kit. Think Curtis told me it was the first clio to av it done. Had my left wsh bone/ball joint replaced the other dat at powerstation. Curtis took the oportunity to make some measurements for the 172/cup/182 set up! ASked him about yours and he said the handling was s**t hot! :cool:

Yeah was my car. The kit was devoloped on my car and is the EXACT kit that is available for the 182. You can obviously change spring rates etc for your own personal preference but i have tested the standard specs which are for mainly road use with a few trackdays a year in mind which in my eyes is far more realistic than a specific track setup!!! It works and im chuffed to bits with it. Loads of adjustment too. 12 way adjustments from basically hard to soft. :)

Mk2 172
You are 100% correct, but I'm hoping Andy tries a new kit out on the demo car so I can have the setup that has. Driven over 1000 miles in that and got to blast it round Donny. I want :(

(then again, I'd take standard over the FK's... too bloody harsh and I'm getting old)
What the kit that fit's fook all good luck by the way you will need 10mm spacer to get any more than -1 deg's and then it most likely leaking may now

Im not saying anything!!! I can vouch for how good AST has been by saying that from taking measurements off my car, to drawing them up at AST making the damn things and having them fitted and the car on the road only took 5 weeks!!!! Dedicated and expertise spring to mind but with awesome backup in the uk and can be totally rebuilt here within a matter of a few hours. :)

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Hope u dont mind Dan R but I took a couple of photos on my old nokia N80 of ur car whilst it was there. Love the stance!

06092007138.jpg

06092007139.jpg

06092007140.jpg

Curtis took some measurements of mine because the hub spacing on the 172/Cup and 182 is different to the 182 Cup/ and cup packed 182! If I had the money i would definately get some. The prices are £850 + vat for the suspension, 3 hrs labour for fitting £50 per hr + vat and £70 + vat for 4 wheel alighnment.

ChrisCurr

ClioSport Club Member
  RenaultSport clio 17
Soo... I'm a bit confussed. I work in Tewkesbury so this place is really easy for me. Are the available for a ph1?

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Best thing to do is ring Powerstation and ask for curtis. Not sure if they have made the kit for the phase 1 172 but he would measure it up and they would be made custom to your car!

You are 100% correct, but I'm hoping Andy tries a new kit out on the demo car so I can have the setup that has. Driven over 1000 miles in that and got to blast it round Donny. I want :(

(then again, I'd take standard over the FK's... too bloody harsh and I'm getting old)
What the kit that fit's fook all good luck by the way you will need 10mm spacer to get any more than -1 deg's and then it most likely leaking may now

the one that's on the demo fits and works perfectly, as for spacers dunno, Andy's runs neg 1.6 degrees and I'm currently running -2.4, but it's a bit much sometimes for the road.

Mk2 172

the one that's on the demo fits and works perfectly, as for spacers dunno, Andy's runs neg 1.6 degrees and I'm currently running -2.4, but it's a bit much sometimes for the road.

I was told buy a few people that the ones that were made after the first set on gdi's car had had the hub brackets welded on the wrong way round and therefore all you got is shed loads of positive camber!!!

If you say so no way can he be running -1.6 with out spacers when I had these coilovers from Andy I could only get -1.6 and that was with 10mm spacers and they only lasted 2 weeks before pissing oil out :mad: good bit of kit (NOT) all most as good as him service

I was told buy a few people that the ones that were made after the first set on gdi's car had had the hub brackets welded on the wrong way round and therefore all you got is shed loads of positive camber!!!
No the brackets were just to small and wrong and yes you could get more positive camber than Negative

Mk2 172
If you say so no way can he be running -1.6 with out spacers when I had these coilovers from Andy I could only get -1.6 and that was with 10mm spacers and they only lasted 2 weeks before pissing oil out :mad: good bit of kit (NOT) all most as good as him service

Sounds good stuff :S come and have a go in my car on AST's :)

Neal, you must read as well as you write, very articulate :rolleyes: Where did I say he was or wasn't running spacers? I said "I DON'T KNOW", meaning I dont actually know :slap:. Either way, I cant really judge a non working kit or one on a car I've never been in or driven, the demo works perfectly well and I found it really nice to drive. No idea about your car and couldn't care less :)

Mk2 172

Neal, you must read as well as you write, very articulate :rolleyes: Where did I say he was or wasn't running spacers? I said "I DON'T KNOW", meaning I dont actually know :slap:. Either way, I cant really judge a non working kit or one on a car I've never been in or driven, the demo works perfectly well and I found it really nice to drive. No idea about your car and couldn't care less :)

There not making that kit anymore. I think the demo set will be the only working set from now on.

that's right, the guy they were using was fucked off in favour of having some stuff with AST done instead. Think it will be the same or similar to yours Dan, just different spring and dampening rates, but it wont be the only kit, they are covering all the bases after last time.
I do like the current kit though, that would be MORE than enough for someone like me who wont use the car to even 50% of it's potential.

Mk2 172
that's right, the guy they were using was f**ked off in favour of having some stuff with AST done instead. Think it will be the same or similar to yours Dan, just different spring and dampening rates, but it wont be the only kit, they are covering all the bases after last time.
I do like the current kit though, that would be MORE than enough for someone like me who wont use the car to even 50% of it's potential.

I think you will find it will be exactly the same kit that i have. Yeah you can change the spring rates but Like ive said before, there is no point of making a track based kit and setup that is rock hard and completely undriveable on the public road which is where 99.9% of people buying suspension will use it. ON THE ROAD. Mine has sufficient adjustment for some track use but is not a dedicated track setup like GDI wanted to offer on their customers road cars on the kit that went wrong. Im sorry but it doesnt work that way!!! Too harder spring rates etc etc makes the car awfull to drive on the road. I mean GDI were on about running 800!!! lb springs on the back of their kit!!! I dont mean to funny but that is ludicrous for road use. Im running 250lbs to put it into perspective!

did you drive Andy's on the road? That was using 700lb springs iirc and it was fine even with the dampening on hardest track setting. I drove from GDI to Donny and then did a track session and tbh it felt fine to me, but I'm no suspension expert, just know what feels good to drive.

Mk2 172
did you drive Andy's on the road? That was using 700lb springs iirc and it was fine even with the dampening on hardest track setting. I drove from GDI to Donny and then did a track session and tbh it felt fine to me, but I'm no suspension expert, just know what feels good to drive.

No i didnt drive it on the road no but i wouldnt want to due to the fact that the two rears were leaking like sieve!!! Not a good sign of things to come and low and behold there now dead and buried. Joy of oil based stuff!

Mk2 172

No i didnt drive it on the road no but i wouldnt want to due to the fact that the two rears were leaking like sieve!!! Not a good sign of things to come as was proved by the few people that are now over a grand out of pocket with leaking shocks that dont fit. Joy of oil based stuff! Stick to the big brands out there.

No i didnt drive it on the road no but i wouldnt want to due to the fact that the two rears were leaking like sieve!!! Not a good sign of things to come as was proved by the few people that are now over a grand out of pocket with leaking shocks that dont fit. Joy of oil based stuff! Stick to the big brands out there.

No one's out of pocket Dan and they didn't have any issues whatsoever when I drove it for over 1000 miles of road and track. I'm basing my opinion on a fully working varient which is what I drove, it's pointless discussing a fault set as a viable option... either way, they aren't available anymore, but would be nice to compare directly to the AST's, but that would be a road comparison from my POV, as I'm not really any good at track driving... I just want something firm without being harsh and crashy, corners flat and is comfy too... so not much!

Mk2 172

No one's out of pocket Dan and they didn't have any issues whatsoever when I drove it for over 1000 miles of road and track. I'm basing my opinion on a fully working varient which is what I drove, it's pointless discussing a fault set as a viable option... either way, they aren't available anymore, but would be nice to compare directly to the AST's, but that would be a road comparison from my POV, as I'm not really any good at track driving... I just want something firm without being harsh and crashy, corners flat and is comfy too... so not much!

AST then isnt it. :)

AST then isnt it. :)

depending on costs, otherwise I'm going to throw standard suspension on with eibachs or something... mainly so it doesn't look like an off roader

How the fook can you say that Andy p1ssed me and my brother around for 9 mouths and told lie after lie and in that 9 mouths I had the coilovers that didn't fit and pissed oil out for 2 weeks

so what 8% interest on £2800 over 9 mouths and then 4 tanks of petrol picking them up taking them back taking a car to GDI which they had for two weeks, phone call after phone call and no ones out of pocket :eek:

Black 172 ph2
Sorry to jump thread! But i am looking for some coilovers which will not make the ride too harsh poss slightly more harder than standard.

What do you suggest? H&R seem to get good reviews.

megan R26.R number 006
Sorry to jump thread! But i am looking for some coilovers which will not make the ride too harsh poss slightly more harder than standard.

What do you suggest? H&R seem to get good reviews.

h&r are supposed to be a good road coilover set but i have never been in a car with them on so i would not know the kw set the yozzasport sell are adjustable so they can be soft for road a stiff for track if you what to know what they are like speak to Fred on hear he knows what they are like and he took a car around the ring with them on

Black 172 ph2
Fred - What they like then? Are the KW's good for road use and not too harsh? Reason i ask is i made a massive mistake buying cheap coilovers for my last car and the ride was terrible, so dont want to make the same mistake again.

Mk2 172
Fred - What they like then? Are the KW's good for road use and not too harsh? Reason i ask is i made a massive mistake buying cheap coilovers for my last car and the ride was terrible, so dont want to make the same mistake again.

Just get AST's. The futures bright. The futures orange suspension :):):)

ITB'd Ph1 172

How the fook can you say that Andy p1ssed me and my brother around for 9 mouths and told lie after lie and in that 9 mouths I had the coilovers that didn't fit and pissed oil out for 2 weeks

so what 8% interest on £2800 over 9 mouths and then 4 tanks of petrol picking them up taking them back taking a car to GDI which they had for two weeks, phone call after phone call and no ones out of pocket :eek:

I am afraid we got let down by the supplier in this situation, we tried to get it resolved to the best solution but in the end it was better to refund the customer.

it is extreemly unfortunate that we were not able to get the production items sorted as the prototype units were excellent.

ITB'd Ph1 172
that's right, the guy they were using was f**ked off in favour of having some stuff with AST done instead. Think it will be the same or similar to yours Dan, just different spring and dampening rates, but it wont be the only kit, they are covering all the bases after last time.

I think you will find it will be exactly the same kit that i have. Yeah you can change the spring rates but Like ive said before, there is no point of making a track based kit and setup that is rock hard and completely undriveable on the public road which is where 99.9% of people buying suspension will use it. ON THE ROAD. Mine has sufficient adjustment for some track use but is not a dedicated track setup like GDI wanted to offer on their customers road cars on the kit that went wrong. Im sorry but it doesnt work that way!!! Too harder spring rates etc etc makes the car awfull to drive on the road. I mean GDI were on about running 800!!! lb springs on the back of their kit!!! I dont mean to funny but that is ludicrous for road use. Im running 250lbs to put it into perspective!

Dan it was 700 lbs rear... and you have coilovers on the back so the motion ratio is different... it equates to similar when you take that into consideration.

and your correct we are not offering nor making or suppling the kits due to these problems you mention. they have been withdrawn from sale.

Mk2 172

Dan it was 700 lbs rear... and you have coilovers on the back so the motion ratio is different... it equates to similar when you take that into consideration.

and your correct we are not offering nor making or suppling the kits due to these problems you mention. they have been withdrawn from sale.

You have pm

I am afraid we got let down by the supplier in this situation, we tried to get it resolved to the best solution but in the end it was better to refund the customer.

it is extreemly unfortunate that we were not able to get the production items sorted as the prototype units were excellent.

If that's right why lie about it so many times and if you (as in GDI) are so good why couldn't you see that the brackets was no good after fitting the prototype but no I had to tell Andy and he then had a car for two week to only say what I had told him :mad: + the prototype wasn't all that reading what Dan R has posted about the rear damper p1ssing oil out and then when I told Andy I wonted my money back after six months he said he couldn't do that as he won't get his money back from the supplier but after calling your supplier I find out that's yet another lie as you owe that supplier £1700 WILL I BE USING GDI AGAIN NO FOOKING WAY

Last edited:

If that's right why lie about it so many times and if you (as in GDI) are so good why couldn't you see that the brackets was no good after fitting the prototype but no I had to tell Andy and he then had a car for two week to only say what I had told him :mad: + the prototype wasn't all that reading what Dan R has posted about the rear bamper p1ssing oil out and then when I told Andy I wonted my money back after six months he said he couldn't do that as he won't get his money back from the supplier but after calling your supplier I find out that's yet another lie as you owe that supplier £1700 WILL I BE USING GDI AGAIN NO FOOKING WAY

What's a bamper???

lift number 1 @ btm
interesting to read all this, i got a quote for a set of these to match the spec of what i have now, and as i remember andy got the right arse when i posted that his set cost more than 1k on top of the kw's.

Lionel Richie
give yozzasport a ring and have a word about the custom built KW's they've started doing (custom built by KW btw, not by a bloke called dave from down the road)

they tailor the suspension down to even what brake pads you use (not joking!)

KW 9.9/10times have their suspension fitted to the ring 24hr winning car (well they have for the past 10years anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.