ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers .. Probably a re-posted question!

Listerine & Poledo
You're right, it's been covered every day since the dawn of the internet.
;)

Just hit search bar for "coilover"
"coiliez"
"lowz"
and other such terms, you cant go wrong.

On topic though, wouldn't a set of adjustable Bilsteins cost about the same as the value of the car?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Don't get ktec ones. I had race land which afaik are the same and they are crap unless you want to go low with the added benefit off a crap ride

Titanium Clio 182
Not coileys but New cup shocks, cooksports is the favoured set up etc etc blaa blaa. Nice ride height and stance and although some would suggest it's a little harsh. Better than cheap coilovers and brain rattle ! Although saying that I haven't been on here for a while so don't know of cooksports r still available?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
H&r supposed to be good. I actually really like my apex springs and they are regarded as the devil of springs

172 Turbo
I sold my Billies on without fitting them and kept my Cup Shocks & Cooksports.
I've a trackday or two coming up over the next few weeks, I'll probably end up buying Billies again they are so cheap imported!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The adjustability the raise and lower and play with the damping settings for various types of driving is too tempting for a lot of people. Low cars look good and sometimes lowering springs don't quite look as good.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I've had them, I lowered the car about the same as springs, put them on the softest setting and they were still rock hard..

They rust, they lasted a year before leaking, they rattle and they are over all a lesser product that OE with after market springs..

Good for track, sh1te for road..

My oe damper Koni yellows on springs surpass every coilover I've seen, in handling (on UK roads) quality and durability..

Clio 182
I've had them, I lowered the car about the same as springs, put them on the softest setting and they were still rock hard..

They rust, they lasted a year before leaking, they rattle and they are over all a lesser product that OE with after market springs..

Good for track, sh1te for road..

My oe damper Koni yellows on springs surpass every coilover I've seen, in handling (on UK roads) quality and durability..

How many sets of coilovers have you had, and what make lasted less than a year?
How stiff they are is more to do with the spring rates/damping adjustment not them being coilovers, you do realise that?!
Bit of a sweeping statement to make to be honest, a good quality adjustable damping coilover with the right springs needn't be overly harsh.
It's well known they don't last as long as a standard damper too!
I agree the benefits are greater if you want them for track use, where most people will want them to be stiffer than road suspension.
I've got BC coilovers and when on fully soft setup they're far from harsh on the road for a lowered car....

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
I have eibach sportlines on atm, im looking at refreshing all the shocks anyway, but i thought about coilovers instead!

probably stick with the refresh :)

dan's cast offs.
I've got BC coilovers and when on fully soft setup they're far from harsh on the road for a lowered car....

don't forget though with bc's you set the preload independent from the ride height, think there's only ohlins who have the same set up?

Clio 182
don't forget though with bc's you set the preload independent from the ride height, think there's only ohlins who have the same set up?

I'm aware of how they're setup, are you trying to imply no other coilover apart from ohlins would be as compliant on the road due to that factor alone?
I was guessing the op had a cheap set of coilovers not setup/specced for road use and is blaming the fact they were coilovers for the harsh ride, which isn't strictly true.
I would recommend the BC's though as a good coilover for the money, perhaps a little soft if anything for serious track use.

dan's cast offs.
not so much compliance but when you look at setting bike suspension up the first thing you need to do is set the preload, if you can't do that then you can't set up properly. for the price they are a great bit of kit and if you find them to soft all you've got to do is buy new springs.

i looked at all sorts for mine, even 3 way adjustable avo and ended up going for bc's.

Clio 182
Interested to know how you have set the preload on yours/how you measure it and the difference it makes? I just took up the slack on the spring and a touch more so to speak with the top platform to keep the spring under slight tension with the wheel off the floor....how's yours?
I'm impressed with the quality/features for he money tbh, and yes I will be going for some stiffer springs for next year.

Volvo S40
I have eibach sportlines on atm, im looking at refreshing all the shocks anyway, but i thought about coilovers instead!

probably stick with the refresh :smile:

Recently refreshed my suspension with new cup shocks all round and cooksport springs and it's absolutely transformed the car. Cost me less than £300 all in. Found it difficult to justify buying coilovers when even Bilsteins would have set me back about a third of what the car is worth!

dan's cast offs.
Interested to know how you have set the preload on yours/how you measure it and the difference it makes? I just took up the slack on the spring and a touch more so to speak with the top platform to keep the spring under slight tension with the wheel off the floor....how's yours?
I'm impressed with the quality/features for he money tbh, and yes I will be going for some stiffer springs for next year.

haven't got mine on yet, took me six months to get my arse into gear to order them!! if you read up on how to set up bike suspension that talks you through preload and sag etc. it's more critical on a bike obviously but a very good feature to have on a car.

was pretty impressed first time i drove a clio with them on, i would of gone for the avo 3 way but couldn't justify the price.