ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch cable potentially to short?

Trafic 140dci
Ok so my 182 i got cheap as the clutch was slipping, anyway changed the clutch, put it all back together, and i noticed that when putting the cable on gearbox that i had to pull the lever in alot to get it in, so once the cable was on it held the clutch slightly engaged (if that makes sense.) So i'm thinking that my cable is to short so is leaving the clutch slightly engaged when the pedal is up.

Has this happened before? Could anything be causing this?

HBT 172 Cup
Or the release bearing isn't sat properly on the fork

Absolute mare when you realise you might have to take the bxo off again, i make sure the first thing i do when the box is changed is to put the cable back on and test the pedal to make sure it feels OK.

it can. but, it slots into the 2 fingers on the release bearing, and if its the wrong side of these fingers it'll be too far away at the cable. it usually happens when putting the box back in. You can be lucky and be able to pull the fork up and slot it in correctly. Imo, if your certain its done it, youve nothing to loose by trying it.

SQ5
Take wheel and hub out of the way so you don't need to drain gearbox.

Remove air filter and that.

Take off top gearbox mount and battery tray complete off of gearbox.

Undo gearbox bolts and wiggle off.

Be very careful of splitting driveshaft and gearbox oil everywhere, may as well just drain it.

Also disconnect reverse light switch plug and PAS pipe from front of block.

Focus
FYI Lewis (may be completely wrong) when I brought the car I remember there being a receipt for a new clutch cable, some cheapie patented part.

Trafic 140dci
I think it's safe to say i have the bearing the wrong way round...

57380F4B-220C-4EA6-8457-F4C8BCA0387A-120-00000001CC0C2B2F.jpg

6F9E1FE2-A5E7-4B31-9D85-11C84BF887D6-120-00000001D28BF4A4.jpg

I moved the washer the other side of the lever in order to gain some kind of drivability. Anyway box is loose now, just need to wiggle it off tomorrow then put it all back together.

Trafic 140dci
What a chore that was! much easier to do with engine out of car lol, box is now off, as i thought it all can only go one way round and i had it the right way!

This is how i had it, neither the bearing or arm can go any other way. New clutch cable on order, also replacing the bearing just incase that's a cheapy, i know the clutch is ok as it's off my ph1 and has only covered 2k.

9A75BDD2-63E4-4E1E-97B9-CE8769B5C080-493-000000D9CA36862B.jpg

5BD73DCE-30C6-4C3F-9762-13B7BA083866-493-000000D9D3BC1203.jpg

Trafic 140dci
So refitted the box today with a new release bearing. And fitted a new genuine clutch cable, but this one is even shorter it seems, surely i've got something wrong?

182cup & 172 racecar
Lewis, I'm mechanically inept, and I fitted a new clutch cable, what have you done??

Has your new cable got the big heavy weight on the gearbox end?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
did you clean/de-grease the clutch and flywheel, and de-glaze the flywheel face with coarse sandpaper before fitting?

Trafic 140dci
Lewis, I'm mechanically inept, and I fitted a new clutch cable, what have you done??

Has your new cable got the big heavy weight on the gearbox end?

Me too tbh, just removed the old one an replaced with the new one, there just doesn't seem to be enough slack at the gearbox end. Yes it has 2 weights on it. Going to get some more pictures tomorrow.

did you clean/de-grease the clutch and flywheel, and de-glaze the flywheel face with coarse sandpaper before fitting?

I don't think it's a problem with the clutch/flywheel. If you look in the photo below at the lever for the clutch on the gearbox, the new cable is that tight that it moves probably half way back once the cable is just in. (the picture has the old cable) I know that isn't right from my ph1 which i had the engine out of twice, i could put the clutch cable in and out with ease. I will get a photo with the new clutch cable on tomorrow.

6F9E1FE2-A5E7-4B31-9D85-11C84BF887D6-120-00000001D28BF4A4.jpg

I'm thinking/hoping i've fitted it wrong to the pedal box.

SQ5
I wonder if Lewis has put the plate in the wrong way causing it to be out a little further making the arm tight?

My reply was to dannyr. as if you put he plate in the wrong way generally(Not sure if the clios do it as I've never done it) they foul the flywheel bolts, so the clutch wouldnt disengage to be able to select a gear.

Trafic 140dci
So been out again this morning, was going to check the clutch cable in the pedal box, so put the car in gear then flicked the ignition to bump it forward a bit to get the door away from a wall when it lost all power :( Seriously get the feeling the car doesn't want to get fixed lol.

Anyway got a photo of the new cable against the box, where you see the lever for the clutch on the gearbox is where it is sitting when the clutch isn't engaged, the cable is almost out as far as it will go, probably another 10 20 mm top's more it can go, so you can imagaine when i put it on the clutch lever it pulls it in quite a bit.

9184FC4A-49EC-424D-9E43-0E1BE6253DC5-331-000000EBBEEF5D90.jpg

I'm now starting to think i may have put the clutch plate part of the clutch the wrong way round forcing that lever further away. So got a couple of pictures of an old clutch if someone could tell me what side faces the flywheel. I will get my engine out an investigate that next weekend.

Side A

EE04C14B-78D0-4C12-9FB2-1DD31F6F7608-331-000000EBD1D1E37B.jpg

Side B

101A3812-75A0-4BD9-A2F1-6AFBC8DDE450-331-000000EBC794F8C9.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
Just a thought, have you messed about with the ratchet thing that is above the pedal. I remember somebody having this problem before.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it is worth removing the clutch pedal and ratchet mechanism to see if it's working right. Had a Scenic that gave me a real headache a few months back

182cup & 172 racecar
I know Jay got a Clio cheap, as the old owner thought the clutch had gone, but it turned out to be this ratchet thingy.

2004 clio sport 182
Thanks, will have a look next weekend... can't wait :(

Nope, just took the old cable out and replaced with the new one.

first of all the new cable you have fitted looks completly diffrent to the one that has been on my car from new so maybe just check that its the correct part for your car!

im also in the middle of replacing my clutch cable and i was wondering how did you get the cable out of the bulk head at the pedel end mine apears to be held in with a plastic clip thats attached to the cable but i cant get any tools close to the clip as the pedels are in the way did you need to remove the pedel box to remove the cable

please help iv be strugleing for ages to get it out!

SQ5
first of all the new cable you have fitted looks completly diffrent to the one that has been on my car from new so maybe just check that its the correct part for your car!

im also in the middle of replacing my clutch cable and i was wondering how did you get the cable out of the bulk head at the pedel end mine apears to be held in with a plastic clip thats attached to the cable but i cant get any tools close to the clip as the pedels are in the way did you need to remove the pedel box to remove the cable

please help iv be strugleing for ages to get it out!

New cable is 100% correct, revised part from Renault.

That plastic Clip I believe Lewis smashed out