ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cliosport......i could really do with a bit of help on handling :(

You did well for persuing this. Many would have not trusted their own findings and/or just given up on the issue, I feel. In your position now I would be asking Renault if they have parts diagrams/tech drawings of shocks for the various 172 and 182 models.

I was aware the Renault parts numbers were chaged (old numbers phased out and relisted with different numbered "same spec" parts) around 2009/10 sometime. Having first replaced rear dampers on my 182cup around that time I noticed that the shock actually looked subtlely different - in particular it no longer had KYB marking, despite still being a KYB manufactured part. I had no reason to believe that the spec was any different though. I actually now have front shocks (for my 182 cup) that are split with one side on the "old part" number and the other side on the "new" (the why is long story) and again there are subtle differences in marking between the two, supposedly interchageable parts. However, I did not find any issue with the dimensions between the two and car drives fine and geometry is balanced.

I would like to see a list of the old and new shock parts numbers for the different varients of 1#2 models to see if they have dropped a part simplifying the list of available parts for these cars. The degree to which it is wrong seems to be consistent as if it would suit a lower caster car, perhaps. In fact, it wouldn't supprise me if the part for later non-cup 172's is the same part as for non-cup 182's can someone confirm based on either original or current Renault parts database???

Last edited:

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've just replaced the front dampers and top mounts on my Clio 182 (2004 non cup), all new Renault parts supplied by the great chaps at Wolverhampton. The tracking was not initially done and the car drove very badly. No self centring on the steering on tight lock, and car wandering mid-corner over bumps at speed. I had the tracking done (no detailed information, I just stopped at the nearest garage) who stated it was "way out". I now have the self centring returned, but the car is still very floaty over 60. Without any steering input the car seems to tighten or loosen the line in the corners, particularly with any bumps. It very disconcerting to drive. It's going back to the garage that fitted the dampers tomorrow.

2003 Clio 172
^ this.

My symptoms exactly buddy.

My decision that i am firing at Renault today is to just refund the dampers. I am not going to do the jumping about and associated expense of buying and setting up camber bolts any time i make a change to the suspension. I don't know what it is like for you UK chaps but the difference between a wheel alignment and a wheel alignment with camber setup here in NI is around 50 quid and in my opinion, its just another thing for them to get wrong and me to double check.

In my head, if i was able to buy new shocks for my 1990 Civic 1.6i-16 from Honda (which is seriously old in comparison), i have no idea why i cannot do the same for a much newer car.

All i want, is standard stuff in and factory fresh suspension......if i cant do that.....i'm done. I have pursued it enough tbh and tried my best. Its a 2.5k car at best.

And yes...I will be tackling them for something to try and make me feel better after all this, I will probably not get too far seeing as they wouldn't even pay up for 20 quid camber bolts and fitting but sure....worth a punt. After all.....i have spent around £160 on their feckin' alignment place and smashed the pie out of 2 sets of tyres damaged by, and i quote "terrible camber"

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Would solid top mounts help? I know you're getting close to spending far too much but those K-Tec ones seem okay-ish value.

2003 Clio 172
Its a fair point bud but as you say, we crossed the threshold of common sense spending a while ago.......i still really wanted OEM to the core too tbh.

It will just stay as it is with sleepy shocks up front till i think of something else.......or Renault do (not holding breath)

Thanks.....really for everyone's input. Not a great outcome but such is life..........and its Christmas. Fck cars :)

A

2003 Clio 172
Not sure I understand, the same main dealer would end up handing it straight back to me saying they couldn't do it

Just to clarify.......I did ask them if they would do that and they replied "not if they cannot get the parts"

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Not sure I understand, the same main dealer would end up handing it straight back to me saying they couldn't do it

Just to clarify.......I did ask them if they would do that and they replied "not if they cannot get the parts"

I know it might be a bit of a pain but have you tried buying the shocks from a more 'trustworthy' dealer, I know Wests Renault on here are pretty good. Could be that your dealer is just trying to fob you off?