ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio won't start first time? But second time is always fine

Clio 182 FF
Oh man!!! I can imagine this is going to be more of a problem for people in the next few years. Hopefully there will be a company what will manufacture this part or someone may find an alternative.

I've had this second start issue for over 2 years, tried Tescos 95 and although it chugged a bit, it's started first time every day! Normally use Momentum. Will see if it stops spluttering after a week.

Clio 182 FF
I've had this second start issue for over 2 years, tried Tescos 95 and although it chugged a bit, it's started first time every day! Normally use Momentum. Will see if it stops spluttering after a week.

So you've gone from 99 octane to 95 and it's starting first time now?

On my next fill up I may fill up with shell 95octane.

Clio 182 FF
This.

Mine has a "lazy" fuel pump.

Prime the ignition on and off for 5 seconds, then away you go.

Seems like we all have a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Spoke to Renault today, they have not sold a fuel pump for the 182 in the last year

Clio 172
I have the same issue my mkII 172, it will start but on the second attempt with a bit of throttle... I'll have it booked in with Mark Fish soon for its belts, I'll see what he thinks also.
I also use Shell V-Power but think that might be something of a red herring?!

So you've gone from 99 octane to 95 and it's starting first time now?

On my next fill up I may fill up with shell 95octane.

Yep, Tescos Momentum to Tescos 95, fixed the problem since filling up last week, granted I've only driven it on two days since (cold morning stand, 12+ hours left standing).

Seems like we all have a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Spoke to Renault today, they have not sold a fuel pump for the 182 in the last year

Isn't that probably because they cost a few hundred or something ridiculous?

Clio 182 FF
Yep, Tescos Momentum to Tescos 95, fixed the problem since filling up last week, granted I've only driven it on two days since (cold morning stand, 12+ hours left standing).

Isn't that probably because they cost a few hundred or something ridiculous?

I was quoted for a brand new fuel pump and o-ring -

The sender unit and sealing ring for your car costs £173.17 inc vat .
We have never sold one for a 182 , so it could be something else .

Car still starts first time, does still splutter a bit before springing to life though. This is proper weird!

I know I have been using 95 for a few months I get better mpg and starts first time than vpower it's very strange I believe it's a fuel problem it's too much of a coincidence

Clio 182 FF
Mines at 60,000 ish. Since I've owned it December 2012 I've used v-power. I am so tempted to try ordinary shell. Is it going to cause any issues using 95?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
No. The car will change the ignition timing to suit if it needs to and the knock sensor will keep check while it figures it all out. You may notice very little difference depending on how you drive and how sensitive you are to how a car runs.

You used to have to change distributor settings on cars or change a connection (Ford Sierra 1.8 CVH was one) a few years back when you used different Octane ratings but not anymore. The drop from 98 octane 4 star to 95 unleaded caused a few issues. That was the reason for super unleaded in the first place.

Last edited:

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
This.

Mine has a "lazy" fuel pump.

Prime the ignition on and off for 5 seconds, then away you go.

My 182 does this also from time to time, is there any problem with just leaving it like this? Eventually it will need a new pump?

Clio 182 FF
My 182 does this also from time to time, is there any problem with just leaving it like this? Eventually it will need a new pump?

I think eventually you will unless.. Someone finds a supplier that just supplies the fuel pressure regulator (easily removed from the fuel pump)

I think my ph1 is having exactly the same issue, not fuel related though as ive always used te same fuel. some days it'll be fine others it takes upto 1minute to prime!

However as i understand correctly the ph1 has an FPR by the fuel rail? @Chip-mk1
Are these easy to replace and if so wheres bst to get one?

Clio Sport 172
My Ph2 172 does this at random, used everyday and run on V-power/Momentum. Either it won't start first time from cold, switch off-switch on again and it fires straight away or it's other trick is to not start first time after i've filled the tank up. Going by the previous comments would this be the FPR starting to fail?

D4w5on

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
i had this problem i changed my fuel pump sender unit second hand from ren parts was unsure if it wud cure it. but it has runs so much better also. if it goes again will buy a new 1

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
A pain. I will say no more. The ring is possibly the most frustrating thing to get back on ever

D4w5on

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
i not that bad to do u need back seat up,remove cover disconnect wiring and fuel pipe. using a hammer and screwdriver knock the plastic ring round anticlockwise. and undo by hand. replace complete unit watch out 4 seal wen un refit. screw plastic ring bk on take ur time not to cross thread it. tighten by hand then couple of hits with hammer and screwdriver all sorted

Clio 182 FF
Does anyone who has this problem of the car not starting first time have the Ron97 map (rs tuner) on there car?

As I mapped mine over the weekend 24hrs+ and left it for a day and the car started first time perfectly! Henk also sent me an ECU update to carry out as well as the map. It just seems strange since the rs tuner it's starting fine!

I will report back tomorrow morning on what happens!

Clio 182 FF
Started fine again this morning..

I'm assuming the reason the RStuner helps with cold running is that it primes the pump the first time you put the key in. (I can hear it) not the second time you turn the ignition and also helps us with our problem!

D4w5on

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
f##kin car its started doin it again. can i get a patern part or is this dealer only and can ne1 give us a rough price plz

Mines been doing it for ages. just have to prime it twice if its cold outside when i start it, when its warm its fine, normally above 12 degrees its fine. no biggy.