ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Williams or ph1

Clio 172 ph1
I was dead set on trying to find a nice ph1 in silver,but I'm wondering if I'll regret it and should have got the clio Williams,such both lovely cars,but when and when you see the clio Williams on the road you near break ya neck to see the little beaut,decisions decisions

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Sounds like your in the price of a really good nice Ph1 or a average at best Williams.

How long do you intend keeping it and how much work and maintenance do you want to do.

Ph1 seems better option to me

Renault Clio182 bean
Id go with the phase1 if you want a newer and easier to maintain car (age wise),
or a Williams if you want something a bit different and rarer and don't mind spending £££ to get/keep it right.

My mate/work colleague just bought a Williams 2 for £960 lol but needs £££ spending on it, he loves it though, we both did the clutch on it Friday night.
Lovely to work on with the 'caged' sub frame nuts/bolts spinning and seized solid (along with every other bolt tbh) haha

I'd go for a Phase 1 tbh. For a seriously nice Williams you're looking at about £5k, unless you buy a shed & plan to be under it every weekend.

Clio Williams 3
Is a good Clio Williams really worth £5000? Mine has 76k, FSH and apart from refurbing the wheels and doing the rear wing is lovely. I paid £2800 (today)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
a mint Williams 1 should be worth over 5k all day long

the 2's and 3's tend to go for a bit less as less desirable

personally if it was my only car I'd use my head, not my heart, and go with a phase 1.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Williams are seriously cool! Just a bit...fragile and frustrating! I speaketh from experience!

Williams 2 & 200
I wouldnt sell mine for less than £6k tbh, ive spent as much and its pretty minty with no rust, full respray etc.

Clio Cup
Depends Also what i was using it for

Clio Williams to get all bufty on and Keep immaculate

Or occasional Track day it would be the phase 1

R14 CUP
Personally id rather own a clean car, and for £3k you are going to be very unlikely to get one. I bought my Williams 1 for £3500, was in decent condition, it wasn't the most usable car in the world (although i did use it on a daily basis). I sold it for the same price.

Great cars, fantastic cars infact.

Id personally not buy another Mk1, unless my situation changed drastically.

Clio 182
Id go with the phase1 if you want a newer and easier to maintain car (age wise),
or a Williams if you want something a bit different and rarer and don't mind spending £££ to get/keep it right.

My mate/work colleague just bought a Williams 2 for £960 lol but needs £££ spending on it, he loves it though, we both did the clutch on it Friday night.
Lovely to work on with the 'caged' sub frame nuts/bolts spinning and seized solid (along with every other bolt tbh) haha
Thats my old williams. James had a steel.

Renault Clio182 bean
Thats my old williams. James had a steel.

Haha, small world eh. What are the chances, yeah you don't find them that cheap anywhere, hes very happy with it. Next hes doing the bodywork, we also lubed the sticking starter motor while it was off when doing the clutch, surprisingly it has been ok since lol.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I want to keep it for a few years maintenance just servicing really I like them both

I don't think either of them sounds right for you, the Ph1 is 14 years old and will require lots of work to keep it going and the Williams is now an antique! You'd be better off buying a 182 for that money so you can just service it and wash it.

I don't think either of them sounds right for you, the Ph1 is 14 years old and will require lots of work to keep it going and the Williams is now an antique! You'd be better off buying a 182 for that money so you can just service it and wash it.

Does a 182 require less maintenance than a Ph1 172? I don't see why...

Does a 182 require less maintenance than a Ph1 172? I don't see why...
Only by the fact they're a few years newer, but other than that - no not really imo...

Actually if anything as a ph1 172 is older, generally it'll have everything sorted on it, where as you can bet that a 53 reg 182 etc hasn't had it's belts done again.