ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio vs starlet

clio 03 1.6 16v
hey guys just wondered about something, i might be getting a glanza turbo, do you think there would be much of a differance in performance to my 1.6 clio? mind the starlet is a 1.3T?
thanks

ValverInBits
glanza will be a damn sight quicker and a damn sight uglier.

Piece of piss to tune as it's boosted. Get on the glanza forum and when buying try to buy one with coilovers already fitted. The uprated thicker (can't remember manufacturer) rear anti roll bar makes it handle a bit more french also ;)

clio 03 1.6 16v
i love the glanza's to be quite honest, i just get bored easly n i want a change..
i'll most likley be posting my clio in the for sale section soon guys.
so basically the glanza would fart all over the clio? lol
thanks

clio 03 1.6 16v
yeh i noticed lol. its not just that, in jap so its gna be really solid in the engine deparment, im not planing on tuning it much tbh, they are fast as it is!

ValverInBits
bare in mind they are only 135bhp (but bare in mind lots of torque) as standard, and as standard would be out paced by a Ph1 172. glanzas are light so have great power to weight ratios.
Becuase they are turbo though they are easy to tune. Just need to get a fuel cut defender and start winding the boost up really. Power delivery isnt istant though.

Swings and roundabouts. Every cloud.

clio 03 1.6 16v
i know they aint got much power but apparantly they r pretty quick, its good for me, cheaper petrol if i behave, less tax even though insurance is dearer...
a 172 insurance for me is to much just now though!

ValverInBits
insurance will be more than the 1.6 but significantly less than a 172. I have a mate who has found pretty cheap insurance on his. Gimme a PM if you buy one and I'll ask him the company.

clio 03 1.6 16v
ok mate thank u, im getting the starlet for 1600 fully comp with bell on the starlet as an import, 20yr old o nc n 1 claim...

ValverInBits
my mate was 19 when he insured his and got it down to something in the region of 850-950 fully comp import. And he's lost his licence before for speeding.
Theres light at the end of the tunnel :)

clio 03 1.6 16v
can u give me the place just now man cause i need it insured before i get it obviously.. would be much appreciated!

ValverInBits
Swinton mate. My insurer too actually. What are the chances.

Get a confused.com quote and a direct, they are normally different from experience.

ValverInBits
wow would never have thought it!
who is judd joost? lol

the guy with the glanza insured on swinton, with the coilovers and the thicker rear ARB. The original source of my 2nd hand wisdom. lol :clown:
It's a nice car, but we all call it "the fridge" becuase it's so white and ugly it looks like a kitchen appliance. Theres no denying it's quick though and only running 150 or 160 brake.

clio 03 1.6 16v
rite, just tried insurances on the gocompare site and few came up and the cheapest was #3000!!! swinton didnt give me a quote!!

ValverInBits
ah well. I tried for ya bud ;)
970 is a good quote. iirc bell insure mods too. (essential with a car like this)

clio 03 1.6 16v
i know buddy it is hugley appreciated!! i just wanted somethin faster and reliable ye know..
i love emm i think they r gojus!!

ValverInBits
I wouldnt bank on it being the most reliable thing in the world if driven properly. As said, turbo gaskets, manifolds can crack, apart from that the turbo could go.

You'll never know until you try tho

clio 03 1.6 16v
i know mate, the turbo is the thing worryin me if anythin.. does you know off an aftermarket warranty that covers old cars againts faults etc?

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i
i got quoted £1300 for a R5 GTT and im also 20 with 1 years NCB
A little older than the starlet but similar engine 1.4 turbo

ValverInBits
when you buy second hand cars you "make your bed and lie in it" so to speak tbh.

It's not an unreliable car, but not really cheap to fix being an import. Plus being a turbo there is more to wrong.

Oh forgot to mention. As standard, boost is limited in 1st and 2nd. That's the first essential mod, get that removed.

clio 03 1.6 16v
i know mate i know.. i just want a change shame my car still has finance..
theres places out there that supply parts for it.. i look after my cars with oil changes cool downs, warm ups etc.

clio 03 1.6 16v
LMAO so it is!!! god knows wat i was thinkin their!! probs cause ive had a few beers lmao!
nah dnt think i would trust ehir head gaskets etc.. starlet looks nicer but the r5 is cheaper..