ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport Security

Not got a car
Is it hard to steal a sport? I know the 182 have imobiliser and alarm, but mine is a import and it only has an imobiliser.

Not really heard of any being stolen with out the keys.

The only reason i ask is its just got me thinking as obviously they would be the perfect joy ride car, and my mate has just had his 2009 Nivara nicked 1pm this afternoon right out side his office.

Ph1 172.
I really don't how hard they are to steal, but does anybody elses car beep quitely and slowly for about 30 seconds before the alarm goes mental, like a nuclear powered rape alarm?

None
I really don't how hard they are to steal, but does anybody elses car beep quitely and slowly for about 30 seconds before the alarm goes mental, like a nuclear powered rape alarm?

I think that's a renault thing, my mate's scenic does it all the time......like a warning so you can turn it off while it's in quiet mode :)

None
Is it hard to steal a sport? I know the 182 have imobiliser and alarm, but mine is a import and it only has an imobiliser.

Not really heard of any being stolen with out the keys.

The only reason i ask is its just got me thinking as obviously they would be the perfect joy ride car, and my mate has just had his 2009 Nivara nicked 1pm this afternoon right out side his office.

I don't take chances, get a thatcham steering wheel lock too......it might not stop a determined thief but it'll probably make them move on to an easier target in the first place, alarms are a waste of time anyway, no one bothers to look if they go off.......if they are at all like mine they just annoy you by beeping three times every time you set them :mad:

Not got a car
what would be better getting Renault to put a standard alarm on or get a clifford one, both the same sort of price.

Not got a car
I don't take chances, get a thatcham steering wheel lock too......it might not stop a determined thief but it'll probably make them move on to an easier target in the first place, alarms are a waste of time anyway, no one bothers to look if they go off.......if they are at all like mine they just annoy you by beeping three times every time you set them :mad:

I did have one but it started to make big inprints on the steering wheel, looked like there were big chuncks taking out.

None
I'd get one that messages my mobile if i had the choice.....not as expensive as they used to be :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Mine also makes 3 beeps when I lock but other times it doesn't, anyone know why?
ignition still sending power to ECU.

You need to wait a couple of seconds before you press the button to open/lock the car. If it beeps then the interior alarm wont set.

Da

Less
The immobiliser is part of the ECU so it is difficult to get round, but there are people on here who have had 1*2's stolen from them without the keys.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
The immobiliser is part of the ECU so it is difficult to get round, but there are people on here who have had 1*2's stolen from them without the keys.
Really? I was under the impression you couldn't steal an RS without the key :eek: :dapprove:

Da

Less
You could tow one away...put it on a flatbed etc etc... ;)

But yeah, it does happen. Not sure how, key cloning perhaps?? :S

B/G 182 FF
ignition still sending power to ECU.

You need to wait a couple of seconds before you press the button to open/lock the car. If it beeps then the interior alarm wont set.
OK thanks, had car a couple of weeks and most of the time i've not been setting the alarm correctly :eek:

None
You could tow one away...put it on a flatbed etc etc... ;)

But yeah, it does happen. Not sure how, key cloning perhaps?? :S

That happened to a mate of mine years ago, he had a modified ford orion in white(by the way this was ten years ago;) ), a really mint car that he spent a fortune on and one day while he was in Leeds university someone backed up a tow truck and dragged it away with the alarm still going, this was from the uni car park too!

Clio 172
I bought a clifford alarm for mine - makes some serious noise if you walk near it.

End of the day, whatever you try and do it, it'll never be unstealable

You could always get a tracker for it if, obviosly it won't stop it getting nicked, but it'll be found a lot quicker (hopefully)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've been reassured by the car theifs at work RenaultSport Clios are quite hard to steal lol.

Hero Spec Nimbus 200
yeah its pretty difficult to steal most new cars, you have to have some serious knowledge to try and drive away without the keys. Especially on renaults with key cards, when i was on a training course they said that even renault couldnt steal one of their own cars without the keycard.

The immobilisers on new renaults are pretty clever and most new cars to be fair. They all work by sending coded codes back and forth to eachother and making calculations in split seconds, pretty complicated tbh!

172 mk2 Iceberg
with out the key very hard to steal.........

maybe a tow away but the cars never going to start with out the key

and yes alarms are just a pain in the ass

Da

Less
Towed away to a secure place and then stripped for parts is the most likely, that way a key will never be needed and the car's probably worth more in bits.

Clio 197
There was a rumour going around years ago that if you unlocked the car from a distance and someone had a PDA or something with special software they could read the code signal that was being sent, don’t know how true that is.

That’s why I love the 197 locking system, press the lock twice and it deadlocks making it impossible for them to open the door from the inside, so they would hopefully cut them self to shreds climbing in and out of the window.

Not got a car
Towed away to a secure place and then stripped for parts is the most likely, that way a key will never be needed and the car's probably worth more in bits.

This is why i havnt got one of them s/s tow eyes from the groupe buy in the for sale section. I think they look really good but leaving them in perm is risking some scally to tow it away.