ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio rs not very tuneable?

182/ 172 Cup
Iv been reading alot of threads on here latly and theres so many people saying theres no or very little power gains to be had from, remap, matched inlets, decat, maxogen etc etc. So are the rs clios not very tunable without big money for things like itbs, turbo conversions etc? i would like to have a little more power out of my 182, was thinking about getting a remap and full zorst system maybe v6 airbox. is it all pointless? i no its not ganna be much different to drive but can there be any real improvments for say £500-£600? iv done suspension and brakes so please dont say " just spend it on handling" thankyou kris

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
NA always cost more to tune than Turbo'd cars.

You will find most on here are realistic with gains unlike on other forums.

Some ppl will tell you a 182 with a induction and remap will be 200bhp, its Not.

Like any hot hatch the RS dont make the book power for a start.

182/ 172 Cup

Some ppl will tell you a 182 with a induction and remap will be 200bhp, its Not.

yeah i apprecaite that they dont make quoted power, and 200bhp is no way ganna happen with remap and ik etc. but are they ganna give any real gains? thanks kris

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00

I agree. If you do all the std stuff (matched inlets, exhaust, remap and air filter) AND reduce weight it will be better, but not hugely IMO. How do Renault and other manufacturers get away with claiming their cars are 200 PS, 197, 182 and 172! False advertising or what?

182/ 172 Cup
What have you done with the suspension and brakes?

only cheap coilovers v-maxx and brembo hc discs ferodo pads, i no this is nothing drastic but the threads not about this. im happy with the handling i dont go mad anyway. thankyou kris

Focus ST3
Get a turbo car in the first place. NA tuning and rolling roads are there to take your money. It tends to be either much less drivable, or non existant gains ~

Thanks for the increase from 182 to 200 PS mate! heres £XXXX it feels so much different. For a moment I fort I was in an F40. I couldn't believe it my 0-60 time went from 6.7 to 6.69 seconds!

None
If you really want to tune a car then look down the route i did, toyota supra twin turbo, it was the car i looked seriously into getting before the 182, buying prices are about the same (taking into account the age of supra's), 320 bhp to start with and infinately tuneable after that, 430 bhp is a basic power upgrade for supra's.
insurance is a little more but this can depend a lot on where you live.
I scrapped the idea in the end as i wanted something more reliable day to day and twin turbo cars are the not the most reliable, plus turbo rebuilds aren't cheap either.
in the end the 172/182 as standard is more than enough of a car in itself and not the best option as a car to tune.

i've inlets and a catback exhaust on mine and it 'feels' no different to std. it's been suggested that any difference would likely be noticeable if i took the bits off (which i can see), but it's still not going to be a big deal IMO

decat made a 'noticeable' difference, but hardly set fire to the hedges - and the noise was too much so it came off (don't miss the tiny performance enhancement)

not tried one, but understand that airboxes don't make much of a difference either

std 172/182 engine doesn't have an enormous specific output, but it's respectable enough, and seems it's difficult to make significant improvements without spending lots (Renault must have done a decent job in the first place; engine's easily nicest aspect of the car)

if you can do it on the cheap (secondhand, etc) it's worth having a go to see what you think but, from brief experience, wouldn't expect a great deal

Evo 6, E92 320d
I drove my mates 172 after my std one, his had a decat, panel filter and remap(£350-£400 spent at the time), lower down it felt more gutsy and it revved a bit higher, however from a standing start upto 120 he managed to pull half a car ahead, then after putting on a full exhaust his rr figure was 7bhp more than mine, so a lot of money for little gains tbh.

Tav

Clio 197
why bother? they're plenty quick enough for road / track

Exactly, doesn't need to be any faster unless you are competing/serious track day goer. My car makes 180bhp and it's standard, delighted. It's fast enough to put a smile on my face and more than fast enough to make losing your license easy. I would consider modifications to make the driveability better...remap for example can make the engine run much better even if you don't get more power.

Matched inlets are worthwhile as it's 'free' power/torque/smoothness.

There is room to improve/refine the Clio, it doesn't have to be as blunt and ill thought through as more power. Brakes, gear change, driving position etc. are all worth improvement. Suspension too...even Renault saw that...but slapping on some coilovers and winding them down isn't going to help.

Of course some people like to tune their car as it's a fun hobby, would be nice if more people went beyond slapping an induction kit and exhaust on.

182/ 172 Cup
why bother? they're plenty quick enough for road / track

why bother getting a 1*2 then ? anyone who says they wouldnt like more power is lying, im not saying they need more power but i cant be the only one whos interested in seeing if mores avalible fairly cheaply. obviously its not so my questions answered thankyou for the not so negative replys!;)

Peddled device
I had a re-map...gains of about 5% l think.It revs higher which is fun and therefore is a tad quicker...but only very just so...£250.

The easiest way to make a 182 faster is to lose weight.Strip out the sound-proofing,back seats,jack,CD's,half-empty the washer bottle,wind up the windows,turn off the air-con and slightly inflate your tyres.

Tav

Clio 197
It revs higher but it won't make any more power without a different camshaft, it's all out of go at 7200rpm. A gain of 5% would be 9bhp, no way no how a remap gives you that. Even if it did that's still £27/per horse power....

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
The renaultsport clio is a very good car in std form. There are a number of mods that will enhance is visually and a number which will give it a little more poke. But tbh, whats you've done so far is sufficient. Enjoy it now.

Peddled device
Sorry...got my maths wrong.Actually meant to say 5bhp more (less than 2.5%).It's not been on a RR but you can hang onto a gear longer so it does feel slightly faster...but only when ragging it.Theres no real difference for normal driving.

Worth £250? No. I could have spent the money better (not on the car). I guess a re-map is good if you have had other mods done but not on it's own.

tiTTy & SV650
why bother getting a 1*2 then ? anyone who says they wouldnt like more power is lying, !;)

why get a 1*2 if you want more power?! ;)

I don't want any more power, it's hardly under powered. And I'm not lying - I just want better suspension.

I have a 70Hp motorcycle and want no more power from that either.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Iv been reading alot of threads on here latly and theres so many people saying theres no or very little power gains to be had from, remap, matched inlets, decat, maxogen etc etc. So are the rs clios not very tunable without big money for things like itbs, turbo conversions etc? i would like to have a little more power out of my 182, was thinking about getting a remap and full zorst system maybe v6 airbox. is it all pointless? i no its not ganna be much different to drive but can there be any real improvments for say £500-£600? iv done suspension and brakes so please dont say " just spend it on handling" thankyou kris

It's all very subjective really pal. Some people want just a bit more power, but then once you start it's kind of hard to stop and personally, an extra 10-15bhp through the rev range while a good improvement will hardly satisfy anyone's need for more power. For me that's pointless, but other people have done it and are perfectly happy as that's all they wanted.
For £500-600 though the only improvement you'll really get is a few bhp/lbsft, more noise and a slightly improved throttle response.
I've had pretty much every minor and major mod you can do to a Clio and I'd personally, I'd leave the car standard, or go all out on ITB's or boost.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
more tunable, but then again more outlay, depends how you look at it really. I like my Clio's to be honest, a Megane wouldn't replace any of them