ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio rear strut braces??

"Navy" N17 TWO
Not sure about the 197 but they are available for the 1*2s (lots would say it's only cosmetic)

03 RS clio 172 flameR
my rear strut is just there to stop my sub going everywhere! front one is notisble tho

Clio RS 197
i did have a rear one on last car and i could tell!

But will have differnt results on different cars

Golf TDI
i had a rear one in my old 1.2 and tbh it was just there for cosmetic reasons as it didnt make a scrap of difference , however im sure if you have an accident it is that extra bit of strength ! :)

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
ive got one in the van it made a difference on roundabouts seemed to be a bitmore rigid when really pushed . but it could of been psycological with us expecting it to work and makinig us think it did .

b/g 182, meg tourer
fitted front and rear braces to my 182 a couple of years ago. complete waste of time imo. didnt do a thing. rear just squeaked all of the time

rps13
get a passenger to sit in the back and put there hands on the top mounts as you drive.

Then tell me that rear strut braces dont do anything on clios

a thirsty one
on some cars they make a diff i find on the 182 they dont, the front is quite stiff and it only screws into the top mounts is not actually botled to the suspension so i dont see how its any stronger than the screws your using into the car. on some models they can bolt on which are better.

i have a rear one which doesnt make any noise, it does nothing at all apart from mean we use the wife car for shopping. so its worth its weight in gold as means we use her fuel and her car gets stuck in supermarket car parks getting parking dents etc.

on the clio i wont bother with front upper, i think whiteline do a front lower but experts say dont bother, the rear looks quite nice and mine is in anthracite and works for me in that i have an excuse not to use my car for shifting rubbish around and shopping.

Evo
fitted front and rear braces to my 182 a couple of years ago. complete waste of time imo. didnt do a thing. rear just squeaked all of the time

You gotta put grease around the rubber top when you fit the rear strut brace.

As far as i know you cant get a rear brace for the 197, but if anyone knows differently let me know please.

As for the front, they are avaliable for the 197 but someone told me that cos the struts are so close to the bulkhead they done flex anyway, apparently...

a thirsty one
for the rear brace you unbolt the bolt ontop of the mount in your boot and put the brace under that and then put the bolt back on over the top. is that what youve done or is yours just placed ontop? once bolted down its solid and cant be moved or lifted up.

You gotta put grease around the rubber top when you fit the rear strut brace.

wondered why mine squeeked soo much :eek: personally i found it did make a slight difference but nothing too obvious i must admit.

front brace will be on it's way at the end of the month, then both are off to be colourcoded!!!

LY 182
rear one nope does sod all if you look at the way the rear axle beam is mounted,, stopping the shocks moving wont actually help anything as they dont support the axle in any way

If you have ASTs surely the rear one does something as there all one unit... or is it the actually beam setup not the suspension ?

A rear strut brace will help. im not saying it will turn your car into a lotus but it will help. Look at it like you would an engine, adding an air filter wont give you 30bhp, but combine it with other mods and the whole system comes together. Suspension is the same, build up the system and the car wil handle better, but no one component will transform a car.

2002 Cup172
i have both front and back OMP's and they do stiffen the car up. it stops twist a suspension and strut movement. not alot but more noticeable with the slight twitchy back end moments you notice the brace stop the car from twisting and thus allowing any1 who is stupid enough to try is get a cup to tri pod at -4 deg at 55+ish (passenger comentry) on icey roads with slighty faded brakes (not to sure y???? lol) on cup springs and turini's keep traction with a couple of slight mods i'd say they work! (deep breath) all you have to do is really push it to find how much it works.:clown:

^^^agree, they will help, its the lateral loads (i think) that push the struts around, the braces will help.

a thirsty one
im right in thinking through the front strut braces are drilled in and then self tapped/bolted through the holes. the barce isnt attached to the suspension itself so as such its actuall only as strong as the bit of metal you have just drilled holes into.

some cars have top suspension turret mounting bolts protruding from inner wing, so you bolt the brace onto them which i can understand. the clio ones are just drlled into the metal wing which is quite thin, i never figured they can really make much difference as not actually attached to the suspension and also so close to the bulk head.

a thirsty one
have used various front braces on past cars and used them on track and found they do help, but only those with the bolts which allow direct additional strength to the suspension geometry under load.

still they do look nice.

the strut brace does bolt into the metal rather than the wing. the best thing to do is to buy some proper nuts and bolts, remove the strut and bolt it in properly, self tappers will not provide enough strength. as for the metal your bolting onto, its fine, the struts will try to flex inwards, pushing into the brace, so the thickness of the metal isnt really an issue as the brace itself adds to the strength of the metal.

hope this makes sense.

2002 Cup172
even the brace that is drilled and bolted will give extra Lateral strength even if it not bolted directly to the top of the suspension itself, Coz what the hell do you think the shocks are conected too. The turret tops still felx under pressure so with the brace they wont.

Think of the letter 'H' if you were to put pressure on either point it would technically flex but if you put a soild line between the top 2 points and then applied pressure again there would still be flex just not as much.

The same applies to the rear, braces reduce side to side movement and up and down movement.

and as i said before YOU NEED BALLS TO FIND OUT HOW MUCH THEY ACCTUALLY WORK.

push a car hard on standard shocks then fit both braces then do exactly the same and hammer it again and you will see the difference.

a thirsty one
i understand the theory and how they work as said earlier i have used them (front upper, front lower, rear upper and changes in front and rear arb's) on previous cars and been very impressed on both road and track, my only point was the application of the front upper onto the 1*2, thats all.

i have no qualms about my rear brace but i wasnt convinced about the front on the 1*2 rs range when i looked at the actual application/fitment when i was weighing one up and if it was as effective as on other marques. im happy to listen to opinions though as i was just airing my thoughts on them as well.

172 cup
im sorry guys but of course it makes a differance. I for one noticed the differance instantly around the twisties at speed. Makes the back end feel more planted i.e less bouncey. If you push it round corners you will know what i mean

172 cup
you just really have to push it to notice the differance on rear one especially. The front helps traction off the lights and reduces the amount the dash bounces up and down when you break traction off the lights. Front also seems to stiffen up the steering slightly, which must be down to the increased traction