ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Mk2 alarms

The alarm fitted to all Clio's is made by Cobra it can be Renault branded though. Also the Cobra alarm can be modified by dealers so although the notes below hold true if the alarm has been modified by Renault then some of the times etc may not be the same.

How to tell if there is one fitted

There should be a sensor on each of the front door pillars and a light down by the gearlever. The alarm is integrated into the normal key fob. If you have a separate remote for the alarm (mk1 Clio's excepted) then this isn't a Renault alarm its been fitted by someone else not Renault UK or dealers.

The alarm (so long as it is standard UK spec i.e. all 172/182s or a DCI 80/1.6 16V) is fitted when they come into the country at a dock side yard. If you have opted to have an alarm fitted to a car, which doesn't have one as standard, then the dealer fits this.

Locking the car note

The alarm is set up so that only 60 seconds after its been locked are all system locked. That's why you can find the alarm going off after you've locked it as its only a while afterwards that the alarm is going active.

Switching off the interior sensor

If the interior sensor is causing the alarm to set off there are a few things you can do to reduce this happening.

1) Ensure all windows are completely closed before locking the car
2) Ensure all air vents are closes and angled away from the sensors also select the option so air comes out of the normal air vents not to the windscreen if possible.
3) Put the car in a garage.
4) Deactivate the ultrasonic sensors. This is done by sitting in the car with the doors closes switching the ignition key to the on position then off then on then off again in under 7 seconds. Then get out of the car and use the remote locking the car should flash the lights twice and beep 4 times. You need to do this every time you lock it though to deactivate the interior sensors

Problems with the alarms

The interior sensors are very sensitive it depend how the sensors on the door pillars are connected. There are two wires to each one and if there connected one way round the sensitivity is 80% if you swap the wires round it's reduced to 20%. Many alarms are fitted so that the interior sensors are very sensitive so the fix done under warranty is to swap these wires round. If your cars out of warranty its probably already been done as the interior sensors are to sensitive to last 3yrs without any problems.

When you go to unlock the car if the indicators flash 4 times then you can be sure the alarm has gone off.

If the alarm does go off then if you look at the light down near the gearlever, as this will tell you what set the alarm off. It will continue to do this until you put the keys in the ignition and turn it to the ON position.

How to interpret the flashing light after the alarm has gone off.

1 Blink. Either the doors, bonnet or boot have been opened. The sensor for the bonnet is mounted down by the front headlight on the passenger side it's a commonly failing sensors it can get water in it and rust. If it is going off then you'll probably need a new sensor or attempt to take the present one to pieces, and fix it. The sensors on the doors are the normal ones used to set off the interior lights so if the interior lights work of the doors then these won't be at fault. The sensor on the boot is the same as the door ones and so if the boot light works then this sensor should be fine.

2 Blinks. Additional sensor triggered. This shouldn't be an issue on a normal Clio alarm as the only sensors are on the bonnet doors and boot and the volumetric ones. This maybe set of if an approved alarm installer has added the alarm not from the factory i.e. Motor point etc.

3 Blinks. Ultrasonic sensor triggered. These are the little sensors on the front door pillars. If this is the reason for them being set off then you can either turn them off (as written about above) or apply some of the other ways quoted above.

4 Blinks. Someone has attempted to start the car with the wrong key.

6 Blinks. Someone has attempted to tamper with the alarm system in some way i.e. cutting wires.

7 Blinks. Serial line error. This is a problem with the alarm unit itself best go to Renault or a Cobra installer to get them to analysis the problem.

Another problem with the alarm seems to be the cars habit to unlock itself randomly. Some friends and I have had this in the past you wonder if you did lock the car and maybe your to blame. Renault garages will have trouble finding the problem, as it's so random. The best fix seems to be to check the cars locked very time (after a bit it becomes a force of habit) and to get the earthling leads for the alarms and central locking checked as this seems to have stopped mine happening.

Another common problem is when you lock the car the alarm beeps 2 or 3 times.
Reason: The alarm system has received a signal from the vehicle ECU that the ignition is 'on' causing the alarm to beep. This signal is only received by the alarm for 3 to 4 seconds, after this time has elapsed the alarm stops beeping.

Solution: It can only be resolved at a Renault dealer. Ask the dealer to contact the 'Renault alarm help line' and quote reference
'RS+15'.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
edde, my alarm does not work at all, i have the ultrasonics i can lock the car whilst in it and shake it about, nothing, also with the windows downa nd the car locked it still does not work? whats the prob lol

ben_p said:
where do they connect ? lol
To the alarm behind the dashboard.
They connectors can be reached down the back where the radio is remove the radio and have a hunt around there.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
edde, can find the conector, also ive noticee that the red light near the gear stick does not flash at all?

cat171 said:
they should make that first post a sticky.
I've done a few information posts like this recientloy I think when I've done a few more I'll make one linking to them all so they can all be listed without the need for a load of stickies at the top of the forum.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Ive just gone to lock my car and the alarms beeped 3 - 4 times like mentioned above ,Is this a big problem and needs sorting or is it ok to leave it?

Thanks

Its a problem with the alarm having problems locking as the electics are on. Its a dealer fix problem andy good dealership should know of the problem or be able to fix it its just down to the way there set up.
I'd get it done asap as I'm a bit picky but its not huge issue.

mwatts_tci said:
will that count for insurance?
The Clio has one as standard it cannot be removed realy as its inbuilt into the ECU, so you won't get a discount as there. Also under law all new cars sold in the last few years have to have one. UK 182's which are imports have to have one fitted for most companies to insure you.

172 Sport Mk11PH1
sorry eddie, adam again i cant see anmything that pinpoints my problem with the alarm, do u know any reset sequences i can try? cheers

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Edde, as you seem to have the best working knowledge on this piece of s---- alarm, do you know where the Cobra module is fitted so I can take it out and re-install it where it belongs....in the dustbin. I will fit a decent Clifford alarm and simply hook up the Clio locking via the plip locker control module like we used to do with the original 5 Turbos.

Presumably the oem immobiliser is activated by the transponder chip in the key and the oem plip is just a convienence locking device, before the Cobra crap is fitted at the dockside. ??

I have a 1.6 RXE 1999.. My alarm tonight wont stop going off!! I have had to disconnect the battery so it will stop going off.

Even when the engine is running and im driving the car the alarm is still going crazy!!

My remote locking key has broken but im not sure if it is anything to do with this as the car wont start without the little board inside the key.

Soon as i connect the battery back up the alarm goes off again!! I try pressing the lock doors button inside the car but that doesnt stop it!

What should i do im getting a really bad headache listening to it!! :(:(

Ian

Focus TDCi
The alarm I had a problem with was Sigma, not Cobra. Is that unusual?

Every time I opened the door the alarm sounded, as though it had not been deactivated by the remote at the same time as the doors being unlocked, is this a common fault and is there a solution?

At the moment I've disconnected the module from underneath the passenger side airbag on the dashboard, but obviously it would be better if I could get it working properly.

Thanks for the guides Edde.

Titanium 182
The alarm I had a problem with was Sigma, not Cobra. Is that unusual?

Every time I opened the door the alarm sounded, as though it had not been deactivated by the remote at the same time as the doors being unlocked, is this a common fault and is there a solution?

At the moment I've disconnected the module from underneath the passenger side airbag on the dashboard, but obviously it would be better if I could get it working properly.

Thanks for the guides Edde.

I get this problem also, ever since i changed all my interior lights to led ones. Will going to a dealer and giving them the code RS+15 sort it?

Toyota Corolla
My alarm doesn't seem to work!
I have the sensors on the pilars next to the front window and have the led light near the gear stick. The led light has never flashed or come on except once when I turned the ignition on and off 3 times... it lite up for a few seconds and went off again!
Anyone got any ideas??

Bumder With A Buffer
Any of you mods able to make this a sticky??

No one reads it anwyays it is sort of stickied as there a FAQ section in mechanical but noone ever looks.

Not a dig at you (as your more than helpfull to lots of people on here!) but thats why things are not read because people are too bloody lazy to search and us helpfull people adopt that attitude that it wont make any difference.

Plus just had a look and I suppose people read this thread

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=187984

and get confused.

Sticky it In this Interior section and it would help?? I didnt know that FAQ existed myself to be honest as it comes under the "Engine, Running & Gearbox" Section.

No one reads it anwyays it is sort of stickied as there a FAQ section in mechanical but noone ever looks.

Not a dig at you (as your more than helpfull to lots of people on here!) but thats why things are not read because people are too bloody lazy to search and us helpfull people adopt that attitude that it wont make any difference.

Plus just had a look and I suppose people read this thread

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=187984

and get confused.

Sticky it In this Interior section and it would help?? I didnt know that FAQ existed myself to be honest as it comes under the "Engine, Running & Gearbox" Section.
I know it should have seperate stickies FAQ but since few read the standard one it w got questionable values but you have given me an idea i've been menaing to do for a while.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=363643

renault clio 172
Hi there I'm having a problem with the alarm on my Y Reg clio rs 172.The alarm sometimes randomly goes off and even when i pt keys in the igniton to on it continues I can even start the car and it continues to sound any ideas?cheers

Toyota Corolla
I've got the wiring diagrams for these alarms, i will post up at somepoint

Any ideas how to turn the alarm on if it's been turned off, i.e. someone must have used the emergency code to turn it off cos the light never blinks by the gear stick except when you turn the ignition on and off 3 times quickly.
I would take it to Renault but at their rates it prob be cheaper to get a new alarm!! ;)
cheers

renault clio
i have a cobra system in my 98 s reg and lately its been playin up . say ill put the alarm off and it wont start because the immobiliser light is going nuts any ideas ? much appreciated

clio II 14 16v,VW passat
thanks edde i have been trolling all over the web trying to find some gen about the clio alarm system with no luck not untill i dropped in on this forum. My wifes alarm was going off just about every night much to the annoyance of our neighbour's after reading your post and reading the flash codes i found it was the interior sencors at fault so to check them out i stuck some bluetak over them we have had a peacefull nights sleep for the first time in over a month.
So i say again thankyou edde

Glynn
P.S.
the bluetak is still in place till next week at the least;)

Hi there I'm having a problem with the alarm on my Y Reg clio rs 172.The alarm sometimes randomly goes off and even when i pt keys in the igniton to on it continues I can even start the car and it continues to sound any ideas?cheers
best take it to a alarm specilaoist/auto electrician
Any ideas how to turn the alarm on if it's been turned off, i.e. someone must have used the emergency code to turn it off cos the light never blinks by the gear stick except when you turn the ignition on and off 3 times quickly.
I would take it to Renault but at their rates it prob be cheaper to get a new alarm!! ;)
cheers
you cannot turn it off unless you have cut the wires or had the alarm switched off
i have a cobra system in my 98 s reg and lately its been playin up . say ill put the alarm off and it wont start because the immobiliser light is going nuts any ideas ? much appreciated
sounds like its wired up wrong or the your impbilser picup ring or key is at fault turning off the alrm try another key
thanks edde i have been trolling all over the web trying to find some gen about the clio alarm system with no luck not untill i dropped in on this forum. My wifes alarm was going off just about every night much to the annoyance of our neighbour's after reading your post and reading the flash codes i found it was the interior sencors at fault so to check them out i stuck some bluetak over them we have had a peacefull nights sleep for the first time in over a month.
So i say again thankyou edde

Glynn
P.S.
the bluetak is still in place till next week at the least;)
glad it was of help

Toyota Corolla
best take it to a alarm specilaoist/auto electrician

you cannot turn it off unless you have cut the wires or had the alarm switched off

sounds like its wired up wrong or the your impbilser picup ring or key is at fault turning off the alrm try another key

glad it was of help

Is there any way I can switch it back on? or do I need to visit Renault??
Thanks,