ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Man Littlehampton- squeaking engine bay noise

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Got a squeaking engine bay noise, rises and falls with engine revs
Assume its A/C on its way out, maybe water pump, or another worn bearing somewhere- anything else i should consider ? (Its not brakes, thats a different squeak lol)

Am visiting Clio man over the weekend, Littlehampton West Sussex, who says he will get it up in the air and check it out for me- sounds nice fella and he has been recommended

Anyone had dealings with Gary Clio Man?

Will post up how i get on- hoping he will sort a Cambelt/dephaser change in next couple months, gives me a decent price.....

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Got a squeaking engine bay noise, rises and falls with engine revs
Assume its A/C on its way out, maybe water pump, or another worn bearing somewhere- anything else i should consider ? (Its not brakes, thats a different squeak lol)

Am visiting Clio man over the weekend, Littlehampton West Sussex, who says he will get it up in the air and check it out for me- sounds nice fella and he has been recommended

Anyone had dealings with Gary Clio Man?

Will post up how i get on- hoping he will sort a Cambelt/dephaser change in next couple months, gives me a decent price.....

Does it change noise when you turn on the A/C - i.e. engage the clutch?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Does it change noise when you turn on the A/C - i.e. engage the clutch?
Not when i engage the clutch so not release bearing
Havent tried air con tbh, but think the sound is continual, but sometimes goes when warmed up. Always comes back at some stage especially when cold

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Not when i engage the clutch so not release bearing
Havent tried air con tbh, but think the sound is continual, but sometimes goes when warmed up. Always comes back at some stage especially when cold

Sorry meant the clutch on the Aircon pump (the thump sound when you turn the air con on), otherwise the pulley is just free spinning.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
ah
Sorry meant the clutch on the Aircon pump (the thump sound when you turn the air con on), otherwise the pulley is just free spinning.
ah right- thought the comment strange. Didn't know aircon pumps had clutch. don't think ive ever heard a thump when I turn air con on.
will investigate tomorrow
thanks

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Nice fella- went there today
Got the car in the air and had a good look round- seems to be in pretty straight condition
Aux belt showing signs of age, but cambelt not too bad. Needs changing as 5 years in a few months- he can do which is fab, but i want to get the MOT done 1st. (MOT 7th May, same day as a track day at Lydden- do i do the track day, then MOT, then belts, or MOT and belts before the track day?)
Maybe the water pump making noise, and a guide at bottom of pulley consideration he was telling me, but sods law dictated that the engine noise disappeared shortly after i made the appointment to go to Clioman

Had a great chat for an hour, another 197 getting some treatments there, and a few engines lying about with some being worked on
deffo knows his stuff

Hint: Dont try n race the Clioman van, its tougher than it looks....:smile:

Last edited: