ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT 128, Opinions?

Clio Mk2 Ph2
I'm looking to get myself a new car but still being considered young my choice is limited as I do not want to be paying ridiculous amounts on insurance.

I was looking for a Golf TSI 122 but finding a decently priced example without 2189621936921 miles on the clock seems to be impossible. After some scouting around I came across a Clio GT, looks pretty good and has that bit more power than my current 1.2 without quadrupling my insurance.

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on this model and things I should look out for? I know most of you will be of the pay the bit extra and get a RS Clio, but spending just under £2k on insurance and then another £250 on road tax isn't really what I'm looking for right now.

This was the example of the GT that I came across which I was thinking of.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
GT clios are horrific on fuel for what they are apparently.

If i were you, i'd look at Twingo 133's.

colinG's is up for sale, thats a nice example.

172 cup
Looks nice IMO. however what is the price difference on the insureance between a Rs and that as the road tax will only save you 80 a year so not a massive amount.

Not saying that because I think the RS is the only model you should go for, just intrested.

Clio Mk2 Ph2
GT clios are horrific on fuel for what they are apparently.

If i were you, i'd look at Twingo 133's.

colinG's is up for sale, thats a nice example.

Ah really? Yeah, don't really want a complete gas guzzler.
I like the look of the Twingos, it's just that it feels like a bit of a downgrade going to a smaller car. But I guess I do have to make some compromises in some places.

EDIT:Was just flicking through this thread, noticed cliotoby was getting 24mpg, that turned me right off. Read further on to find out it's because he was ragging it, manged to get 36-38mpg, I don't mind that seeing as its pretty much what I am getting now.

Looks nice IMO. however what is the price difference on the insureance between a Rs and that as the road tax will only save you 80 a year so not a massive amount.

Not saying that because I think the RS is the only model you should go for, just intrested.

Insurance for me will cost around £700 on the GT and £1700 on a RS, and yeah to be fair the road tax is only like 60 quid more. So added together that's a fair amount of money difference a year to get a RS.

Last edited:
  172 cup
Ah really? Yeah, don't really want a complete gas guzzler.
I like the look of the Twingos, it's just that it feels like a bit of a downgrade going to a smaller car. But I guess I do have to make some compromises in some places.

EDIT:Was just flicking through this thread, noticed cliotoby was getting 24mpg, that turned me right off. Read further on to find out it's because he was ragging it, manged to get 36-38mpg, I don't mind that seeing as its pretty much what I am getting now.

Insurance for me will cost around £700 on the GT and £1700 on a RS, and yeah to be fair the road tax is only like 60 quid more. So added together that's a fair amount of money difference a year to get a RS.

thats fair enough a £1000 is a lot of money to spend on something like insurance. I think the GT looks sporty enough, and I'm sure the 1.6 has enough kick in it

04BGFF182CLIORS
Bare in mind the Twingo isnt much cheaper to insure than a RS, I was getting quotes about £50 cheaper than my 182!

Clio Mk2 Ph2
How about something like this Seat Ibiza? little 1.2 turbo, simple remap gives about 125-130 bhp. My missus has the same engine (but with the DSG auto 'box). It will average 40+ mpg all day long and actually goes quite well.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../1500/keywords/tsi/postcode/de553bd?logcode=p

I do like the Ibizas, never known anyone who has owned one though so didn't really know what to think of Seats overall. But thanks for the recommendation, will have a scout about for them as they are nice.

Clio Mk2 Ph2
GT looks pretty smart but i'd go for the dCi 106 model personally

Yeah, in other threads people seem to be saying to not bother with the petrol and go for the dCi, there doesn't seem to be many knocking about unless I want to travel up to Scotland though :(
Guess I'm just going to have to play the waiting game until something pops up.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I do like the Ibizas, never known anyone who has owned one though so didn't really know what to think of Seats overall. But thanks for the recommendation, will have a scout about for them as they are nice.

My wifes is a nice car, I wanted her to buy and FR (it has a nicer interior and better options on the wheels) but she didn't like the red stitching on the steering wheel. It's cheap to run, cheap to tax, well specced for a standard car (A/C, CD, MP3, electric mirrors, windows etc etc)

04BGFF182CLIORS
I wanted her to buy and FR (it has a nicer interior and better options on the wheels) but she didn't like the red stitching on the steering wheel.

Typical female logic lol! No offense to your wife at all, the same reason my mum plummeted for a 1.2 base spec Punto over a higher spec (and same price) model, something do with the seat fabric...

If youre getting good quotes on a Twingo that's where I would go, if not the Ibiza's are great cars. I had a previous model Ibiza FR (2006) with the 18 20VT engine, was very very good, and did 35mpg. Could be worth looking at? 6k will bag you a low miles minter aswell.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
diesel or dont bother, i had a GT DCi106, best car i owned, loved it! sold it for the worst car i ever owned, silly mistake.

however ive got a hard on for GT TCE twingos now, what a riot, id have blown many of these up if we had them when i was 17!!