ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio dci fan troubles, advice welcome

clio dCi Dynamique
I have a 2007 clio dci 80 dynamique, 3 door.

recently i had water spilling in to the passenger foot well, i could hear water splashing about from inside the dash when i drove. I eventually found and cleared the drain holes below the wipers and all water now clears.

I now have no working blower, fan does not blow.

With the heater on i can feel it heating up so assume it is working and its not just the engine heat heating it up (?).
Dashheater illumination is intermittent as dials are moved.
Turning the fan on from 0-1 (and up to 4) i can hear a relay click behind the glove box.
Removing the 5 pin connector from the fan unit itself i can measure 15vdc at pins 1,3 and 5 when the fan is switched on.
With power to the fan i assume the fuses are fine. i would check the fuses but i cannot reach the upper ones behind the steering column without removing the the dash.

I'm thinking the fan motor has been water damaged and i will need a new motor and fan assembly.

I have a haynes manual on route but thought i'd ask the forum for advice.

thanks in advance for any help on this.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
The engine will be heating the heater up as it works from the coolant system so the problem lies with the fan. Do you have climate control or manual fan controls?

Check the fuses though as often a system like this has several fuses running it. I know my climate (ph2) runs on 12v from 4 different fuses on the internal box

clio dCi Dynamique
The engine will be heating the heater up as it works from the coolant system so the problem lies with the fan. Do you have climate control or manual fan controls?

Check the fuses though as often a system like this has several fuses running it. I know my climate (ph2) runs on 12v from 4 different fuses on the internal box

thanks,

So the engine provides some of the heat and there is also a heater? wondered if the fan will work when the heater doesn't, as i have not checked the heater or heater control PSB.

The car has no climate control just standard fan controls.

I will check all the fuses when I get home on Friday, for some reason the upper two rows of fuses are inaccessible, its like the access window for the fuses is smaller than the fuse panel behind it. I need to remove the plastic panel beneath the steering wheel.

cheers,

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Sort of. There isn't a heater. There's a heater matrix which is a small radiator in the heated box and the heat comes from there. Hence the heating doesn't work until the car is warm.

Here's a pic of a ph2 set up, Water comes in and out of those 2 pipes, heat it taken out of the matrix with the use of the fan, water comes out cold and goes back round the engine again.

D0F688A4-6FD0-400E-B53B-E87EBC70CA92_zpsgd3eattp.jpg

5345E2DF-2D18-439F-AA24-D545B5D91FD2_zps5jzpy0dd.jpg

Sounds like something in your fan circuit is a amis

clio dCi Dynamique
cheers,

okay radiator/heat exchanger, not a heater.

after I have a look at the fuses I'll focus on the fan if the fuses are good. the intermittent back lighting on the fan/heater dials does make me wonder if a bad contact or damaged circuit is to blame.

My plan is (may change once i get my haynes manual):

test every fuse
remove the fan unit and see if the motor turns
look for water damage to the fan motor
test the unit with a bench supply
see where the back light gets its power from and source the intermittent signal to the lights

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
the back light will be on a circuit linked in with all other dash lights. Common 12v and common earth so is unlikely to be related. Probably a bulb there.

Wire the motor up to a battery!

Clio sport 172 cup
The connector will be burnt out to the resistor its a problem with the wiring getting too hot,when u get a new resistor u will get modified wiring to cope with the power required I see it all the time clios meganes and scenic suffer with it,problem u will have is the resistor goes over the top of the dash so just cut the resistor and solder the new one on,take ur connector out and check for it being burnt,sometimes it's only small but it's enough to stop it working