ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio ABS broke today :(

Clio 2001 1.5 DCi
Going down the road at about 60, then realised my speedo read 40, so I think right somethings up so I bet brake - press brake slighty, which chucked me onto the other side of the road (glad no cars were coming)

Seems like the ABS is buggered on the fron passenger wheel, so what we are doing is disconneting the ABS so I can get work tomorrow.

How much am I looking at for her to get fixed?

Clio 2001 1.5 DCi
cheers Ill give it a shot, any reason why my speedo would go all wappy also? I remember it going mad a few weeks ago, up, down like a yoyo. One minute im at 140 then at 20 - didnt happen again till today though

A Beautiful R32
If the speedo is not working, then you don't wanna f**k about with it... just take it straight to your nearest dealer (or trusted garage)...

Since you already know which wheel it si take the wheel of and have a look at the ABS sensor on the hub (there only two pipes going to the hub one for the brakes check the wiring is ok and not worn as they cna do it there not attched correctly to the little bracket thingie on the hub.

Then have a look at your driveshaft there should be teeth round it which the abs sensor picks up on to see what speed the wheel is rotating check no teeth have rused off. Then check that the teeth arn't to small the sneor needs there to be something like 0.5 to 1.5mm distance (If you need me to check just ask) between then and the sensor on the hub (you'll need a feeler gauge or similar to check).

Have you had your hub or driveshafts chnaged as they might not have chedked the distance or used the wrong driveshaft wityh the wrong number of teeth.

A Beautiful R32
^lol

That's why I'd take it too a garage... I'm way too crap to ever be able to do that sfuff edde...

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
im going to say ABS pick up ring broken, if it thinks its locking up (due to missing teeth) then ABS cuts in.

Check the wire to the ABS sensor hasn't come out of the hanger and chafed on the wheel. It happened on my dads passat and cut through the wire and as they cost a fortune we just connected it back together and it worked perfectly.

ph1 172
yeah the newer clios dont have a speedo cable, they take the speed from one of the abs sensors... thats why the speedo was playing up.

Im not sure at what point they stopped having speedo cables...