ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 2006 1.2 Heater Fan Resistor replacement

clio 1.2 2006
I am trying to replace the aircon/heater fan resistor.

I have removed the glove box and can remove the old resistor and connector block quite easily but the red and black lead that plugs into the fan disappears high under the dash board. The point it plugs into the fan isn't visible.

If I look up under the steering wheel I can see what I think are the same wires but still cant see the end or where they plug into the fan.

Do I have to remove the dashboard? If so how? I have been searching for any clues on this for months now without success. Surely someone else has had this problem?

Can anyone help please?

Clio sport 182
Remove the lower dash trim under the steering wheel and your see the wire plug on on the side

Megane dci 130
The renault way of doing the job is to cut the red and black wires and crimp the new one onto it.

Also check the connector onto the resistor, they get hot and melt.

clio 1.2 2006
Thanks for the replies.

I have tested the old resistor which is shot so have replaced the resistor (£95) and the connector block (£30). I have tested the wiring leaving the old resistor and there is an intermittent problem which I am hoping is just the connector onto the fan. Snipping and joining the wires won't fix the problem.

With the lower trim removed I can get a hand up to the connector but can't get the leverage to pull it out. Even if I could pull it out the cable isn't long enough to do anything with it.

The new cable has to run over the top of the fan (just under the dash board). I guess I have to remove the dash board to do the job properly. Any ideas how to remove the dash? It's very different to the mk2.

clio 1.2 2006
Gradually the fan speed control stopped working. First number 2 then 1 then 3. It worked on 4 for a while then started getting slower. Then it would work intermittently. Then it went very slowly. Then it stopped. 2-3 weeks after it stopped it worked one very frosty morning.

I have now managed to completely replace the resistor and connector block and connected it up but it doesn't work at all. I've checked the fuse under the dash and that's ok.

I presume the fan must be knackerred unless there's a fuse under the bonnet?

I'll be getting all the wiring checked next to make sure there's power getting to the resister. I switched the wiring round to take the resistor and control out of the loop so either there's no power coming in or the fan I'd bust.