ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 200 wheel annihilated during service

Clio 200 Silverstone
Hi guys

First post on here, been reading the forum quite a while now, great work to everyone involved, it's a real help with buying/owning the car.

Had my Clio 200 Silverstone for around a month now (35/50). I obviously don't need to tell you guys how much fun it is....

Anyhow, took the clio to Jaybee Renault in Banbury, Oxford for its 25,000 mile service (it had previously been serviced at KTR) on Friday.

Service seemed to go well until I picked up the car; it was clear as soon as I approached it that the front left wheel had been badly damaged in 4 or 5 separate locations around the wheel. I know without any doubt that the wheel was in perfect condition before I took it into service.

Brought up the issue with the dealer and straight away there was outright denial; they alleged it was damaged before they took it in, that there was no way they could have damaged it because the tools used to change the wheel are protected by plastic. I said I didnt care HOW it was done, just that I know it had been. I proposed that somebody had maybe taken it out for a spin, as there was a lovely white clio 200 parked alongside it (on the forum?) that would have also been fun to blast! I was told that they had 'much faster cars than mine which they would prefer to take out' (Gazing at the Captur and the Scenic in for a service, I asked 'Where?') Following a lengthy conversation with the manager the garage refused to accept any responsibility. I was told that I had curbed the wheels myself...

The damage is in vertical lines, not horizontal, so I cant see how it can have been caused by curbing. Moreover it has been poorly painted over by the garage.

There also seem to be what looks like mechanical teeth marks on the wheel.

pics:

large damage- http://tinypic.com/r/flzk80/5
http://tinypic.com/r/2zxpb95/5

teeth marks- http://tinypic.com/r/2wco19j/5

damage, note vertical lines around the outside-
http://tinypic.com/r/2uqyf87/5
http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload

a few questions for you guys:

1. Can anybody work out what might have caused this damage? why are the lines vertical?

2. Do you think it looks repairable? or as i fear will it need to be replaced?

3. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem at this or any other renault dealer?

Thanks in advance and apologies if there are any problems with images or posted in the wrong thread.

Hopefully my next post will be something positive....

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Did they fill out a pre-service inspection report noting any damage to the car? If not, then they dont have a leg to stand on.

If they did and the damage wasnt noted, then it's been caused in their care.

Speak to Renault UK

Nissan 350z
Its just been kerbed essentially but as for the how/why does it really matter at the end of the day? If they wont accept liability then either take it on the chin and get it refurbished for around the £40 mark or try fighting with RenaultUK. Lesson learnt the hard way to avoid Renault dealerships IMO.

GTD, Lupo
I had a wheel damaged when my car went in for paint. I ended up with two wheels resprayed by RUK. I always tend to take pictures of my wheels when i drop it down as this happens far too much. Fortunately for me the service manager had looked over the car when i dropped it off so there was no question the damage was not there when i dropped it off.

Your best bet is to take it up with the garage. RUK will be no help at all and will point you back to the dealership but it is worth a go. The free phone number for RUK is 01923 697200 it will put you through to a switch board. Just ask for Renault Customer Services and file a new complaint.

Other than that just put the pressure on the dealership and explain the car is flawless, returning customer blah blah :D

But as said i cant see you getting anywhere :(

Clio 200 Silverstone
Did they fill out a pre-service inspection report noting any damage to the car? If not, then they dont have a leg to stand on.

If they did and the damage wasnt noted, then it's been caused in their care.

Speak to Renault UK

Is it their responsibility to fill out the pre-service inspection report? or my responsibility to remind them? walked around the car with the manager beforehand but he didn't fill out a report. thanks very much for this mate

does indeed seem like a hard way to learn the lesson, but at least it's lesson learnt. I know £40 isn't a lot but I'd really like a dealer i can trust with the car!

next time it's going in i'm going to photograph every square inch so the little blighters can't wriggle out of anything

anybody know of any good dealers around the Milton Keynes area? tempted to go to KTR in the future but Dorset is quite a way...

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Is it their responsibility to fill out the pre-service inspection report? or my responsibility to remind them? walked around the car with the manager beforehand but he didn't fill out a report. thanks very much for this mate

does indeed seem like a hard way to learn the lesson, but at least it's lesson learnt. I know £40 isn't a lot but I'd really like a dealer i can trust with the car!

next time it's going in i'm going to photograph every square inch so the little blighters can't wriggle out of anything

anybody know of any good dealers around the Milton Keynes area? tempted to go to KTR in the future but Dorset is quite a way...

I believe they should be filling one in for every car that comes into the dealership. To prevent them being blamed for scratches/dents/this sort of thing. If they can't produce one, the damage wasn't there and they need to fix it.

Thats how I would go about it.

(Disclaimer: I believe what I wrote above is true, if it's not, please correct me, I won't take offense lol!!)

Last edited:
  Nissan 350z
I've had one done before without any bother. I suppose it depends on where you go and thier ability.

PH2 RS172
If theyve not filled in a pre inspection form theyre technically in the wrong. For the sake of 40 odd quid its a cheap lesson learnt though.

Countryman JCW
Does a powder coat get rid of the curbing? or just paint over it so the dent is still there but its not visable unless you get up close?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Does a powder coat get rid of the curbing? or just paint over it so the dent is still there but its not visable unless you get up close?
Normally it will be repaired first then powder coated.
Generally just with an ally filler.

GTD, Lupo
I've had one done before without any bother. I suppose it depends on where you go and thier ability.

Any decent refurb company will always suggest getting both if not all the wheels done. Most suggested getting a new wheel instead of painting just one to me. Maybe they were after a quick buck but the four company's I spoke too all advised me there could be the risk the colour will not be a 100% match!

And how fussy you are, gorms notices things us mere mortals would think were fine, lol

Hah that made me laugh! I am pretty fussy! That why I got new wheels!

L-Y Clio 197 F1
feel for ya bud. I blew a turbo pipe off my astra GSI before. Took it to a garage that my brother-in-law always used and couldnt say enough good things about. At the time I wasn't sure what was wrong other that I heard a lot of hissing - followed by a pop.

Long and short. After 12 hours of my car being there they'd managed to inflict £700's worth of damage into the drivers side door by reversing an L2000 into it! They denied it - had to get the police involved. After 2 weeks Garage admitted and paid for a repair but chose the bodywork shop it would be done at. Repair wasn't right - ripples in the paintwork. Had to get police involved again. Took around 4 months to get sorted. Just don't back down. Still see the c**t who owns the garage on a weekly basis. Makes my blood boil that he lied to my face and told me to f**k off because he had 'no idea' how the panel on the car was completely smashed in.

Heres a pic of their handywork:

piccy

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I had a wheel damaged when my car went in for paint. I ended up with two wheels resprayed by RUK. I always tend to take pictures of my wheels when i drop it down as this happens far too much. Fortunately for me the service manager had looked over the car when i dropped it off so there was no question the damage was not there when i dropped it off.

Your best bet is to take it up with the garage. RUK will be no help at all and will point you back to the dealership but it is worth a go. The free phone number for RUK is 01923 697200 it will put you through to a switch board. Just ask for Renault Customer Services and file a new complaint.

Other than that just put the pressure on the dealership and explain the car is flawless, returning customer blah blah :D

But as said i cant see you getting anywhere :(

Don't tell them Gorms sent you, they'll hang up on you after all the grief he's given RUK ;)

Clio 1.9 DTi Si
I took my car to jaybee too to have bonnet catch checked and I wasnt satisfied with the treatment of the car, cross roads renault at kidlington are not far away from there, and were completely different in how everything was carried out!?, so thats who I used instead!

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Those vertical lines look like kerb marks.
The teeth look like someones changed a tyre and used the machine wrong.
Like they've had it upside down and expanded the teeth into the rim face, rather than up the right way and contracted the hooks into the rim.

Clio 172 phase 1
I'd ring trading standards and go citizens advice if they can't prove they were damaged before it went in then there fucked as well. Just say why would I be so irate if they were damaged before? Arse holes down by us a mentions no names dealer ( cough FORD ) forgot to tighten wheel nuts up on a brand new fiesta and it rolled about 30ft before it fell off and destroyed the wing disc the lot... Dealers are t***s threaten legal advise or at least demand they pay half best of luck mate just remember they don't want bad publicity the fact it's French is bad enuf .....o,j I love my clio

ST
Maybe a bit OTT but I usually ask for an inspection of my car before it goes into a stealer for work, i even went to the lengths of taking pics of all 4 speedlines on the 200 before it went into Parks Reno near Glasgow a month ago so they couldn't back out if they'd damaged them at all.

182 ff
does not look like a normal low speed curbing, when we had a bad winter I smashed my bmw front wheel side on going round a about 20mph,my wheel had big dints in it, like yours not so bad.
have they put a new tyre on the car?

it looks like its been don't at speed,they painted it try to cover up.
did you check the mileage before it when in?

for a service they should not be test driving it.
is your tracking out?
have you any pictures before the car when in?
call Renault head office,they will contact the dealership for you, you put a complaint in.
the least you hope for is 25% of the repair.
also say you are never buying another Renault if the issue is not solve to your satisfaction.