ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200... stiffness vs 182

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
Hi All,

I'm getting rather tempted now to sell my 182 and buy a 200 (non cup but with cup chassis ideally). I've read a fair few reviews of 200s and the majority comment on the firmness of them and that they're not the most comfortable of cars (to be expected for the type of car they are).

My 182 is currently on cooksports and is kinda on the limit of how firm I'd like as it will be my only car.

So my question is, has anyone gone from a 182 on cooksports to a 200 with cup chassis and can comment on how much better/worse it was?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I had a 182 for five years on springs then coilovers, then a 200 on H&R springs for six years.

I honestly think the 200 rides better out of the two. It's definitely firm but it felt FAR more planted than the Mk2 also.

3 RS200
You’ll be fine man. I’m on cooksports and it rides lovely.

Even the vibration from solid mounts isn’t too difficult to live with.

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
You’ll be fine man. I’m on cooksports and it rides lovely.

Even the vibration from solid mounts isn’t too difficult to live with.
Cheers Rob, I was actually going to message you to ask how you find yours ?

I'm also considering an R26, need to test drive both really and see what's what..

3 RS200
Cheers Rob, I was actually going to message you to ask how you find yours ?

I'm also considering an R26, need to test drive both really and see what's what..

If you didn’t live a time zone away you’d be welcome to come and drive it man!

R26 is a lovely motor. My brother owned one from new, didn’t have too many problems but it was years ago now like.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I found my 200 FF very firm, a lot firmer than my 208 GTi BPS.

Rusty Cup
MY 200 Cup was a firmer ride than my 182 on coilovers. Great when you push on but pretty annoying for the 99% of time you're not. Still a great car.

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
Cheers for the replies guys. I think I'm gunna try find a 200 and an r26 local and have a test drive. As said I don't mind if it's as firm as my 182 but if its much firmer it could get a bit tiresome after a while.

3 RS200
Cheers for the replies guys. I think I'm gunna try find a 200 and an r26 local and have a test drive. As said I don't mind if it's as firm as my 182 but if its much firmer it could get a bit tiresome after a while.

Let us know what you reckon man. Might even be open to a px if you’re shifting yours. I need a daily and want something fun too.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Friend of mine had a FF182 and I've got a 200 on H&R springs, i'd probably agree the 200 is a little nicer, still a bit jiggly on some surfaces but generally a good feeling of the road which is good as long as you don't live in Beirut

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
Let us know what you reckon man. Might even be open to a px if you’re shifting yours. I need a daily and want something fun too.
Cheers for the offer Rob, but I actually put a deposit down on the guy above's 200 yesterday! Mine will be going to for sale soon but there's a few little bits that need doing first.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
The 200 with cup chassis is stiffer from 2011, when the suspension was changed, it’s very firm and you feel every bump even with quilted Recaros. Unless it’s a track car uprated suspension is a waste of time and probably inferior to the oe setup.

Attachments

• 01EDAA6E-FAFD-46C5-9D76-68DD6E282375.jpeg
    01EDAA6E-FAFD-46C5-9D76-68DD6E282375.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 70DF5BB1-F5E1-48BA-B18C-A0020656F902.jpeg
    70DF5BB1-F5E1-48BA-B18C-A0020656F902.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 78
  3 RS200
Unless it’s a track car uprated suspension is a waste of time and probably inferior to the oe setup.

Couldn’t agree more with this. Coilovers and I polybushes absolutely ruin a road car.

You need a bit of roll and give if you want a fast B roader. (Unpopular opinion) you’ve got to be at a ridiculous level of dangerous to reach the 200’s full potential of standard suspension on the road. I only went Cooksport Springs because my OE fronts cracked/snapped and they came up at the right price.

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono
You bought the red 200?
?
The 200 with cup chassis is stiffer from 2011, when the suspension was changed, it’s very firm and you feel every bump even with quilted Recaros. Unless it’s a track car uprated suspension is a waste of time and probably inferior to the oe setup.
The one I went out in was a late 2011 model, with H&R springs on. I would say it was a tiny bit firmer than my 182 on cook sports but felt more connected to the road if that makes sense. It is rigid but definitely bearable.

scalino65

ClioSport Club Member
Hi All,

I'm getting rather tempted now to sell my 182 and buy a 200 (non cup but with cup chassis ideally). I've read a fair few reviews of 200s and the majority comment on the firmness of them and that they're not the most comfortable of cars (to be expected for the type of car they are).

Hi, i've been wondering about 200s as well. I've only just started trying to figure out my ideal spec. So, just out of interest, why are you thinking non-cup with cup chassis rather than the "cup" ( blimey, its not easy to describe which spec is which!)? What do you want/like about the "non-cup" that the "cup" doesnt have? Sorry if that is an obvious question but I've only started looking at 200s.
Also, can I just check, do all cups have the black door trim and mirrors? If I understand correctly only the cup has this. Its very confusing though as sellers seem to call every car a cup whereas I think they mean its a non-cup but with cup pack...maybe it makes more sense in French:)
cheers

AndyBMX

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 265 / Tuono

Hi Mate,

The reason I went for the non-cup but with cup chassis is that I wanted all of the creature comforts that the actual cup doesn't come with (cruise control, digital auto air con etc). Not sure whether the cup model has keyless entry/start either. So in my eyes a non-cup with cup chassis is the best of both worlds.

As far as I know, all of the cup's have the black door trims and non cup's have body coloured. You can tell whether a non-cup has the cup chassis by the red brembo calipers and anthrecite wheels.

It is a bit of a minefield!!