ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 needing new gearbox?! Anyone else?

An orange one
Mum and dad have owned their 200 since new January 2010 and it's been Graunching into 4th for a week or so, so after a visit to the dealers it's going in on Tuesday for a new box under warranty, they said that's the 3rd one they have changed so far! Ouch!

Also worth noting is that mum and dad drive it like miss daisy, I'm the only one that really pushes the car so it's had an easy 12000 miles really, maybe was a bad batch of boxes?!

320d
I've heard of a fair few of the 197's and 200's having new boxes on here. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence for the second hand market in years to come.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
All I can say Colin, is that you'd better take more care with your gear changing with the new vee! ;)
Perhaps you've picked up bad habits with those German cars you've had, whose gearboxes are made to withstand dogmatic and brash use lol.

Its a bit concerning that just one dealer has already changed two other boxes though! Maybe I wont be looking for a 200 cup any time soon. :(

Welcome back to vee ownership fella!

340i
It does seem a common'ish occurance for new Renault gearboxes... My Megane r26 box was changed under warranty a few weeks ago.

Evo 5 RS
No surprise really, give it another 5 or 6 years and they might have figured out how to make a gearbox last more than 5 minutes

I'm talking about Renault obviously, not your parents ;)

An orange one
Sean are u meaning a 200 alongside the lunar?!

To be fair the 200 is a stonking car! Can't fault it! I've always loved the gearbox in it too, very snick snick.. Might have to change more gently with the new one! It was 4th gear snychro that failed though so not like first or second as you would think!

Vee will definately just be being pampered! Haha!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Never hiding anything on here-

One of the 200's I sold has had a new gearbox- no fuss warranty job

Steve

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Sean are u meaning a 200 alongside the lunar?!

To be fair the 200 is a stonking car! Can't fault it! I've always loved the gearbox in it too, very snick snick.. Might have to change more gently with the new one! It was 4th gear snychro that failed though so not like first or second as you would think!

Vee will definately just be being pampered! Haha!

Thats what i'm hoping to do Colin, yeah. Later in the year perhaps though, as long as work continues to pick up ;)

GTD, Lupo
Did your fiat or was that only through hedges? :D

Only joking.

The box on mine was a little bit funny when i first got it but im on 23k now with no issues :D YET!

Westy. MX5
Looking at other Renault forums, 197 gearboxes are having problems regularly with 3rd. & 4th synchros and are being changed through the Reanault warranty. So 200 gearboxes are becoming problematical as well? As Steve @rsport cars says, Renault do change them but what happens after the 3 years warranty period? Second hand values dropping through the floor me thinks.

Nissan 350z
The 200 gearbox is essentially the 197 gearbox so any faults will have carried over from one to the other and looking at the various problem topics this appears to be the case. They are all made by Renault for the Clio compared with Nissan for the Megane so i think we see the common problem here :rasp:

Mines a b**ch to get into 2nd in the mornings, have to be very gentle to avoid crunching. Other than that no problem so far.

An orange one
got it back on friday with the new gearbox in, god its tight....second to third is mega notchy at the moment, im sure it will loosen up but it cant be rushed at the moment!

sean, if your getting a 200 it will have to be storm grey alongside the lunar :):)