ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 MPG?

172 Cup
I know it's been discussed a lot on here but what are these like on fuel?
What's the tank cost to fill and how many miles do you get roughly?
Try and include what MPG your seeing and the type of journeys you do.

I'm trying to compare one to my 172 Cup. That costs about £60 to fill and does around 320 miles. Driving consists mainly of motorways and A roads (my journey to work is 30 miles each way)

I30N, LS430, 197
about £75ish from empty.

Between 270-350 miles depending on driving.

MPG varies in mine between 24 - 30.

LY 200
I do 30 miles round to work and back a day and probably another 100 over the weekend so 250 miles a week and £50 normally does it with some left over. Commute to work is 80% motorway.

Overall average according to the car is 27.9 Mpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had 4 197's and a 200, none of them got over 26mpg.

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
I'm currently on 27.1mpg in my 197, 26 miles round trip for work but most of it is dual carriageway

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
s**t lol

I used to do 36-40mpg (very very occasionally) on the motorway to work, now i live closer to work i get around 30mpg.

filled up with £60 on saturday iirc, 225 miles later its on just under a bar

I've had 4 197's and a 200, none of them got over 26mpg.

I can just about manage that over a few tanks of average driving from a 2.5 litre 5-pot being force fed with 1.5bar. Apples and oranges maybe, but i'd be a bit irked getting similar economy for frankly vasty inferior performance.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I can just about manage that over a few tanks of average driving from a 2.5 litre 5-pot being force fed with 1.5bar. Apples and oranges maybe, but i'd be a bit irked getting similar economy for frankly vasty inferior performance.

Yup.

My Meg 225 Demonstator (That staff, customers, EVERYONE) used to hammer everywhere, did 25mpg.

Yup.

My Meg 225 Demonstator (That staff, customers, EVERYONE) used to hammer everywhere, did 25mpg.

I run around 23-24 at the moment, and that's a mixture of everything. With straight line performance that would crush a 200.

Like I say, it's not really a fair comparison, but I'd definitely struggle to justify that sort of economy with a car that is luke-warm fast at best.

1.6 turbo is going to be fully for the win in Clio IV R.S. Some torque, and some economy. In place of rinsing the limiter everywhere just to get moving whilst returning similar mpg to cars with double the power.

It's not really difficult to see why that old engine is being dumped. It was never really the massively free-revving F1 engine it was made out to be anyway. Sounded like there were spanners in the sump at 6500rpm+

GW Stage 2 R26
I can't believe these are so poor fuel wise.. All of my old phase 2s did 34-38 all day long.. My r26 does 28mpg and that has 330ftlb of torque...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
It's not really difficult to see why that old engine is being dumped. It was never really the massively free-revving F1 engine it was made out to be anyway. Sounded like there were spanners in the sump at 6500rpm+
in the 172/182 yes but never in the 200 (and i assume 197 but never driven one), 200 was smooth and sounded brilliant high up the revs, 172/182's sounded like they were going to blow lol you could even feel it through the metal pedals!

i never saw above 24mpg in my 200, most days it sat around 21/22mpg though. however mine was nailed daily, not a car you drive slow or else it just feels unrefined and bumpy!

172 Cup

I think my 172 feels pretty good up to the limiter, but I did come from a 1.3 ohv fiesta, and that really did feel like it was gonna blow up at the limiter, which was only 5800rpm lol.

in the 172/182 yes but never in the 200...

Yeah that's true actually. The 197 I drove was much better at revving. Although the relative lack of torque and increased weight, meant that nothing ever actually happened. The car I drove - it just felt like I was waiting until it was time to change gear. Not very exciting in terms of acceleration.

172 Cup
in the 172/182 yes but never in the 200 (and i assume 197 but never driven one), 200 was smooth and sounded brilliant high up the revs, 172/182's sounded like they were going to blow lol you could even feel it through the metal pedals!

i never saw above 24mpg in my 200, most days it sat around 21/22mpg though. however mine was nailed daily, not a car you drive slow or else it just feels unrefined and bumpy!

Ha ha know exactly what you mean. I've come from owning VW's for 15 years and the first time I took my 172 Cup to the red didn't feel nice.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My 200 shows 26.2 mpg and has never been above 27 mpg, yes Roy the 200 is not as fast as turbo cars but it is not as heavy and it is also about 15k less to buy than an RS Focus/ Golf GTi hatchback so stop slumming it on this forum and join Pistonheads. If you want 50mpg buy a Dci if you want a fast car buy a Ferrari but why slate clios on a cliosport forum.

Clio 172 cup
Its common knowledge that a 1*2 is atleast 10mpg better than 197/200

Tbh 26mpg in a clio its utter sh1t

At that mpg i would rather be sat in a mkiv golf r32

My 200 shows 26.2 mpg and has never been above 27 mpg, yes Roy the 200 is not as fast as turbo cars but it is not as heavy and it is also about 15k less to buy than an RS Focus/ Golf GTi hatchback so stop slumming it on this forum and join Pistonheads. If you want 50mpg buy a Dci if you want a fast car buy a Ferrari but why slate clios on a cliosport forum.

Lol step down. Learn to deal with opinions. I used to own a Clio and they're great little cars, but I feel I'm entitled to air opinions that aren't always positive. Also I'm pretty sure I don't need your permission to loiter on any forum.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Well, my experience is quite the opposite, I'm actually over the moon with how good the MPG is.

Im currently doing 125 mile daily commute in my 200.

Averaging 36.9mpg and 415 miles to a tank.

Thats brilliant surely?

My commute consists of B roads, dual carridge ways. So speed is 55-60mph average.

These cars can be good if you drive it tidy, obviously I'm not going to be putting my foot down when doing 600'odd miles a week. So my average is really good.

Obviously, if your commute is in traffic stop/start. It's going to be dire.

ST
My old R27 when pressing on:
2ehyvy9a.jpg

Soooo much worse than the 182 I had before and the 230bhp MCSW I had after!

R56 JCW
People need to get off the 'dire economy' wagon.

THIS^

We don't buy this cars for the MPG figures do we! If your commute is one that needs you to have an economical car, don't buy a 200, but they aren't as bad as people make out to be. At the end of the day, all cars need to be refuelled, whether its 30 miles down the road or 300, i'd rather be driving my 200 and have to fill up more, knowing I have the pleasure of getting back in it to drive. Not to mention walking back to it with A HUGE GRIN on my face from the petrol station!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Why? Half the point of french hot hatch is cheap fun. Sub 30mpg for a car that isnt even remotely fast is very poor.

From what i understand, those that get 35mpg sit at 60mph, above that and it plummets.

agreed, they are awesome fun, and extremely capable, and to be honest the fuel consumption wasnt really an issue to me as i didnt do much miles but it was still always in my mind making me feel a bit robbed!! it was 10mpg less than what i would have got out my 172's but then again my GT DCi was 10mpg down on what i got from my DCI100

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Considering its as quick as a standard focus S for example. And they guzzle fuel.
Awful.

Sure you want the new Clio Danny?
You won't be seeing economy in that either.

some should just buy a 100DCi and map it. Can't moan then.

Last edited:

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Guzzle fuel compared to what? I get better efficiency than some Clio owners in here.

GW Stage 2 R26
Why are they so much worse than a 182?? To get less then 28mpg out of that I had to really really be caning it.. It can't be just the extra weight. As they still aren't heavy cars at the end of the day.. They also don't make book power do they?? My meg makes a genuine 278bhp/ 330ftlbs of torque and that will do 35mpg plus on a long run at 50/60 mph. About 28 on average...
And it's a heavier car..
Dont get me wrong it wouldn't put me off buying a 200 and I wouldn't moan about the economy I just can't work out what it does with it!!!