ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 200 insurance problems/differences between versions

clio 200
Hi, just about to get my 200 and have gone to insure it and the insurance quotes are weird - wondered if anyone else has come across the same thing?

Basically when you go on any car insurance comparison site to start with its hard to actually get to a clio 200 (for some reason my brand new number plate doesnt seem to register on these websites yet).. You can find a clio 200 silverstone edition easy enough but the actual normal renaultsport 200 does not come up in your options?

The nearest I can get is renaultsport (197) and then this comes up as a 5 door?

I faced the same problem phoning the actual insurance companies as well?

My problem is though if you choose the silverstone edition despite being 1k more than my 200 the insurance quote is about 400 quid less than if you choose the (197) one (the guy from the insurance company also told me this is the one to select when on the price comparison websites)?? 600 as opposed to a grand? So the silverstone is about 6 tenths of the price despite being more expensive and having the same engine/suspension config etc?

The guy at Renault said to plead ignorance and insure it as a Silverstone! I'm considering this myself!! Anyone had a similar prob??

Cheers!!

When I insured mine, the online stuff didnt have a '200' option. I just rang up and said its a 200, not a 197. Problem solved.
(With a car worth that much, you dont want to invalidate your insurance with such a minor detail)

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
As Harpham says, just ring them and sort it properly. Not worth taking the risk over something so trivial, I know I would

clio 200
Yeah cool, thanks for the input. I think I will.. Weird how the silverstone is cheaper though and it has a lower NCAP rating Ive found out?

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
who are you with Harpham? ATM im with Bell and they have my car down with my plate as a 200 cup but when I do online quotes with them and Admiral it brings up 197 cup...

I had this problem with mine, with Admiral.

They kept telling me I had a 197 cup. Even when I told them no it's not, they said I should know what car I drive and it's definately a cup!

Got it sorted in the end, but wasn't worth the risk as if I crashed I'm sure they would try and wriggle out of any claim.

ipodsandguns, I think Admiral only have a 197 cup or a 197 down on their pre-populated model system. That's what they seemed to think when I spoke to them. They sorted it somehow though.

Yeah admiral struggled with me too. And when they said they had it sorted, the docs turned up saying 5 door LOL.

MkV Golf R32
Funny how the silverstone has come out cheaper as it's one insurance group higher than a normal 200. Got a silverstone in work ATM, and it looks very nice.

who are you with Harpham? ATM im with Bell and they have my car down with my plate as a 200 cup but when I do online quotes with them and Admiral it brings up 197 cup...
Admiral Multicar.

Exactly the same though. They only had the 197 or 197 Cup. I told them when I phoned to confirm I was renewing etc and the forms came through as a 197 Cup. I rang them and said its a 200 and the guy sorted it out and sent out the new forms to me.
If I put it in online though, it does still come up as a 197 Cup. :S

clio 200
Stupid insurance companies! So basically the upshot of this is phone the insurance companies to get it sorted!! Cheers

Stupid insurance companies! So basically the upshot of this is phone the insurance companies to get it sorted!! Cheers

I would dude, just to be safe.

Also ask them if they can do it for the same price as the Silverstone 200, you never know they might. (Doubt it though)

Renault Clio 200
When I had to insure my 200 - I put in another 200's reg number off eBay which will come up on the comparison website then when I phoned the insurance company up to activate the quoted policy I just explained to them that all the details where correct barring the reg number as mine was a new car so all they did was alter the reg number and kept everything else the same :)

clio 200
Thanks for all the input. Ive done it now with admiral, just hacked off really that I based the quote in my head on the silverstone and then found out Ive had to pay 400 quid extra!! Anyway its done so I just have the new car NEXT WEEK to look forward to!!! Cheers

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Admiral/bell have the options for a 200 cup.
my plate brings up a 197 cup.

20% difference in price.

As explained you should have gone with sky as you get a discount for being a club member and they are very good.

Nissan 350z
Cheapest for me was MoreThan, closely followed by GreenLight. I did phone and speak to Sky but they couldnt beat the price :(