ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 18" alloys

J

jonnyboyjakes

Hi,

I`m after a bit of advice please. I recently bought a Clio Cup 197 with 18" alloys.
The standard are 17", is the handling affected by the 18`s as I have a track day booked, or does this not make any difference to the cornering etc.
Thanks

Clio 182
Personally I'd try to switch to 16's, 18's will slow you down as they have a greater rotating mass!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
if you have 18'' turinis on then i will do you a massive favour and swap you for standard 197 17'' alloys free of charge :approve:

the turinis are cheap, nasty and will make it handle like s**t. but im very helpful and willing to help you out since you'll be doing track days :)

225 Cup & Williams
Just go back to standard 17's. I might be wrong but I don't think you can fit 16's due to the size of the brakes.

Octavia VRS LE
if you have 18'' turinis on then i will do you a massive favour and swap you for standard 197 17'' alloys free of charge :approve:

the turinis are cheap, nasty and will make it handle like s**t. but im very helpful and willing to help you out since you'll be doing track days :)

thats very, very nice of you.............

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
LOL at people suggesting 16's for a 197.

I don't think 18" wheels will make much difference to handling depending on what make/size of tyre is fitted.

Lee

BMW M2C
The 200 Raider is on 18's and by the sounds of things they've not made a massive difference. The Turinis probably weigh less than the standard 17s anyway.

Running them on a track day is going to be a little more expensive than the 17s though.

I don't think 18" wheels will make much difference to handling depending on what make/size of tyre is fitted

This.

You simply can not argue that m (for mass) or j (for rotating mass) doesn't appear in virtually every single suspension related equation and that lower is better.

HOWEVER this is a track day not a time trial and so you'd probably get far more enjoyment by spending the money on tuition, track day brake pads and more track days. But if you start to take things a bit more seriously and do a lot of track days, then 17s may be fairly high on the list of upgrades.

Point I'm getting at: having 18s will not ruin your day. It'll still be fantastic fun. But if you do lots more track days and spending £££s isn't a problem, wheels are one of the most widely beneficial areas to spend money on.