ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 track

Finished off cleaning the interior last night, looks good as new. Will get some pics later on.
Just fitted some philips silver vision indicator bulbs, looks so much better.
20160709_211555.jpg

20160816_174253.jpg

20160816_174301.jpg

Was checking the heat shielding and sound deadening last night and not happy with the amount of heat passing up from the manifold. Wrapped some ducting in heat reflective tape and stuck it round all cabling directly exposed to the heat. Ordered some extra heat shielding mats to stick around the back and sides of manifold to give the coolant and brake fluid resorvoirs some protection. Was also looking at Zircoflex FORM to create a heat shield directly on the manifold, but concerned that may retain more unwanted heat around the starter motor. When i get the new sports cat fitted i may drop the manifold and wrap it as that would be the most ideal solution imo.
Ordered some nutserts and tool to refurb my exhaust mount plates, fingers crossed

Got some heat shielding on friday and cut and fit it all in place today. Ran the car at 2k rpm for a few mins with the bonnet up and again with the bonnet down and checked heat behind the brake fluid and coolant reservoirs and they are much cooler than previous.
20160821_195046.jpg

20160821_195101.jpg

20160821_195055.jpg

Took the car out for a quick spin, heat shielding is working a treat but still need to do coolant flush and replace thermostat and temp sensor. Handling is still quite poor, pulling out of my road it felt like the steering rack shifted, noticed it a few times on the drive back too. I have some poly bushes for the rack and im wondering if anyone has experience changing them and what access is like? Is it enough to just pull the inner wheel arch lining out or is it an under the car job?

Front calipers painted and looks decent.
20160903_180649.jpg

Got some exhaust mount plates yesterday gave them a scrub and a few coats of hammerite.
20160903_180718.jpg

Can now get my 2nd powerflexed mount bracket fitted and exhaust is done.
20160903_181301.jpg

Got refurbed exhaust mount brackets and powerflexed rear exhaust mounts on.
Started on the dogbone mount, with the car on stands access is a b*****d as the bolt on the big end is blocked by the gear linkage. Pulling the old rubber out is surprisingly easy, lots of silicone lubricant, clamps and a stanley knife and they slide out. The big end has a thin sheet of metal, to prevent the rubber moving, so that has to come out too.
Original mount in place
20160904_191251.jpg

Mount removed
20160904_194747.jpg

Old rubbers removed
20160904_204222.jpg

Just discovered the gearbox end bolt doesnt fit the powerflex bush, bolt is 18mm, bush hole is around 16mm.
Edit... being stupid and put the centres in the wrong bush ends... time for bed zzzz

Got my big end sorted, on my dogbone mount that is. Lots of heat, hammering and cutting and wedged the bugger out.
20160910_184045.jpg

And powerflexed.
20160910_201922.jpg

Refitting is a bit of a turd, especially with the car on stands. But i found it easier to get the gearbox end on and then rubber mallet on the big end. Just need to lower the big end slightly as the holes arent fully aligned.

Got the car off the stands tonight, as ive been itching to drive it all week.
Since i last drove it ive put powerflex black on the upper engine mount, dogbone mount & rear exhaust mounts and fitted cl rc5+ & brembo hc on the fronts.
The brakes are really really good, quite a bit of squeel from the pads tho, but bearable. The powerflex bushes made a massive difference, gear changes feel much more direct, and the engine insert has reduced alot of the vibrations.
Just need to get tracking done and a coolant flush and get booked in at brands!

Not done much in the past 2 weeks but got a few new jobs line up... looking to do full suspension refresh, will be getting new cup springs and shocks and will do track rods at the same time. Also planning to do stud conversion and 0.5 degree shims on the rear.
Fluid change so flushing gearbox, coolant and brake fluid... engine oil already done. Going to swap the hankooks to the rear and bring the ps3s up front then get tracking done. Brands by end of oct for a day sesh.

They look quite nice mate!

Any pics of them on the car with it on the ground?
Bit crampt in the garage so cant get any decent pics of the car. Doing the rear shocks and springs tomorrow and will take it out afterward and get some pics.
Wanted to keep the car close to original spec tbh, so no plans for lowering it atm.

If you wanted to do that, how comes you went for the rotas over say, turinis?

Not having a dig, just curious. Is it die to weight, yours being not so polular, etc?
I looked at turinis and couldnt find any decent seconds, and to buy brand new in gold or anthracite was closer to a grand. Saw the rotas and the colour and price sold me on them. I would have kept the std wheels on but tbh they look pants and are heavy as fook.

Got the car out this evening and what a transformation! All the nervous twitching on the steering is gone. The ride feels much firmer. Just need to put some miles down on her now, its only done about 100 miles since i bought it in july. Aint got much else planned with it, other than do gearbox oil and brake fluid. Still got a whiteline rear arb but want to take it on track first so i can get a feel of before and after.
Only got the one pic, might need lowering a tad, looks like its on stilts.
20161018_211203.jpg

Car went in today for cam belt, dephaser, water pump, aux belt, tensioner, cts and thermostat.
Its running much smoother :)
Sorting the exhaust this weekend, its blowing and is sitting way too low.
20161027_200753.jpg

Hello again!
So 3 months later than planned i finally got round to sorting the exhaust. I knew it was blowing somewhere as it gives a nice tinny rasp when you put your foot down. Also, the exhaust has always sat low even after replacing rear. exhaust hangers
Found 2 leaks initially, cat to manifold and a joint on the pipe before the back box.
20170130_132303.jpg

Got the car on stands and a jack under the cat and replaced the gasket and hardware.
IMG-20170131-WA0002.jpeg

The centre exhaust mount had perished so replaced that aswell.
Whilst i replaced those bits i slackened the rear hangers so that i could attempt to get the exhaust sitting up in the bumper. Got it all centred, couldnt do much in the way of getting the tail pipes up into the bumper.
Tightened it all up and now there is a leak post-cat. Looking at the join there is nothing providing a seal, just a clamp.
20170131_125559.jpg

20170131_154553.jpg

Plan now is to disconnect the exhaust from the cat, give that a coat of assembly paste and the same again on the join before the back box.