ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - The project that almost never was!

I thought I'd start a project thread, I never thought I would but the car is sort of turning into a project :)

First off, bought the 182 back in October 08 for £5950

This is the advert pic :)

clioside1.jpg

Very pleased with it, only problems were the consumables, so it needed two new front tyres and front pads (and discs really!)

Car back at home:
DSC_8860.jpg

So when I tried to get the front wheels off, I got stuck in taking the locking nut off. It was done up EXTREMELY tight!

A very kind chap called Burp offered to help as he was down the road (I didnt know him at this point).

We ended up chiselling the bugger off!

After that I went on a few local meets in Gloucestershire, and met some more locals, who were all keen track enthusiasts, and all of them had stripped cars etc

I thought of doing this to mine, be thought against it initially. So I stuck with the basics, new front pads and discs (Brembo HCs and Mintex 1144s)

I then purchased a second hand set of Eibach Sportlines of Quade, and Burp (Jay) was kind enough to stick them on for me too :)

I then got my alloys refurbed, and went for a darker grey colour. I also painted the badges etc the same colour:

DSC_8959.jpg

DSC_8963-copy.jpg

DSC_0403-1.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

Then Jay offered to take me to a track day, well more a car show with track time at Mallory Park.

I was pretty s**t scared initially, not having done anything like that before! And Jay spun it which didnt help my confidence lol!

After that I was hooked, and then booked in for a RS day at Bedford. Again, Jay was kind enough to lend me his track wheels, with lighter alloys and 888s (which were on the way out anyway).

Before I did that trackday, the strippage bug was starting to bite, and I took a few simple things out :)

DSC_8972.jpg

On my first trackday, with Jay at my side helping me along. I think I did ok, although Jay told me a was s**te to start with but eventually got a lot better towards the end of the day:

_ZZZ5826.jpg

I had an immense time, and I was properly hooked from then on! :cool:

So as I was going to do a few more days, it was about time I got my own track wheels. So I got some Pro Race 1.2s in 15", and some second hand 888s to last me for a while.

DSC_0065-1.jpg

I also ditched the Recaro Trendline, as good as they are on the road, they werent much good on track, I was all over the place! So I got some Bimarco Futuras and some Sabelt harnesses....oh and a Sabelt steering wheel to ditch the standard 'ship' wheel!

A local RR day popped up too (organised by Burp). I had never done one before, was a good day. Met a lot of good guys, and was a good test to see that the car was good and healthy :)

DSC_0750.jpg

Not bad for just a RSTuner remap :)
RR-Graph.jpg

This is back at Bedford, as much as I would love to have tried a circuit like Oulton or Cadwell etc, I thought it best to stick with Bedford to get a bit better on a more 'basic' track:

(This time, Mr Hunter was in the passenger seat giving advice!)
_ZZZ2399.jpg

By this time, I was properly hooked to doing trackdays more often, so I eventually decided to go down the full strippage route:

DSC_4035.jpg

DSC_2322.jpg

DSC_2323.jpg

DSC_2326.jpg

For a few months I actually managed to leave it alone, but one thing was inevitable.....coilovers!

So last week I picked up the car from Powerstation having the full AST kit fitted, including top mounts etc. The bill wasnt cheap, but my gold has it changed how the car behaves!

As it stands today:
DSC_2321.jpg

Can't wait to get it on track, so the track bookage commenced!

Booked so far:

Bedford 26th April (To kind of re-learn how to drive the car)
Oulton Park - 7th July (RS Day)

I will soon book Silverstone on the 4th August. Not sure what others to do yet, I really want to do Cadwell, so I might look out for an afternoon to do there.

Oh....and of course....the epic Euro road trip coming up this summer with a few lads off here - stopping off at the Ring on the way back too :evil:

Im off for a few days this week, so I'm gonna have a go at putting some brake cooling ducts it, hence why the fogs are missing in the last pic.

So that's it really.....all this because I struggled with my wheel nut and a local chap helped me out. If I hadn't have met him I probably would have a fairly standard car and not a ruined one lol!

I'll update this with anything interesting :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Very very nice Dan.

It sounds like we have had a very similar upbringing whilst owning our 182's

Still lots more weight that can come off your car i can see.

Rest of the tar
Brown sound stuff behind the dash
All the little unused clips from your interiour
Door cards

I now cant go back to standard but just think if you do eventually want to then dont go mad like me :S

Keep us updated :)

Thanks guys :)

Very very nice Dan.

It sounds like we have had a very similar upbringing whilst owning our 182's

Still lots more weight that can come off your car i can see.

Rest of the tar
Brown sound stuff behind the dash
All the little unused clips from your interiour
Door cards

I now cant go back to standard but just think if you do eventually want to then dont go mad like me :S

Keep us updated :)

Yeh I will eventually take the seats out to take out all the rest of the tar, and MAYBE spray the inside black, but I'm not sure if I can be assed with that!

What is this brown sound stuff you speak of? Is it easy to remove? I ask because I may be taking the dash off to remove a few things, like passenger airbag. It's useless at the moment with harnesses in.

Door cards are on the to-do list. I'm in on the group buy at the moment.

Nice car mate, thought of doing this with my 182 and seeing this really makes me want to do it!

If you have no worries about living with a car like this, which in my opinion is absolutely fine, and you don't plan on selling......then DO IT!

I've kept all the bits I've taken out, and I am trying to do a for sale thread for everything I've taken out but I'm never in the country long enough!

I know it will never go back to a standard car, and I have no intention of getting rid....if I do I will have to sell it like it is as a road going track car.

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Nice thread Dan. Car looks sweet on the ast's. :cool: I know ur not going down the supercharger route now but you planning anymore breathing mods to the car? U deffo need an exhaust!:evil:

U deffo need an exhaust!:evil:

I know. I was going to get a yozza from Fred@BTM but he's out of stock.

I was going to ring Charlie at Prospeed but didnt get round to it today, might do it tomorrow ;)

you planning anymore breathing mods to the car?

Don't think so mate. Going to save some $$ for the trip, and I'm eyeing up a new camera lens too, that aint cheap as you can imagine!

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
I know. I was going to get a yozza from Fred@BTM but he's out of stock.

I was going to ring Charlie at Prospeed but didnt get round to it today, might do it tomorrow ;)

Don't think so mate. Going to save some $$ for the trip, and I'm eyeing up a new camera lens too, that aint cheap as you can imagine!

If you go see charlie at pro-speed you wont be dissapointed! De-cat FTW!:approve: Once youve got ur new lense my car is free for you to practice with!;)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Nice work, come along really well. Love the stance you've got on them AST's! See you on track some this year!

Well I carried on with my attempts at the brake cooling ducts. Piping arrived this morning, cut it to length and fitted it to the fog surround. Only I don't have any tool capable of cutting a circle in the arch liners, so that will have to wait :(

And I haven't even attempted the drivers side as I don't have the confidence to remove the carbon canister! Any tips?!

So I decided to take the dash off after, to give me something to do :)

DSC_2327.jpg

DSC_2334.jpg

Oh.... Any one know if I can cut this cable without any negative effects?

DSC_2328.jpg

I assume its for the in car alarm sensors, but I didnt want to cut it incase it would cause any problems. Anyone?

So I removed the airbag, which felt like defusing a bomb lol!

My question now is, what else can easily come off, without loosing any 'practicality'? The only thing I would want to keep thats related to the dash is the heating etc

340i
If you trace the alarm sensor loom (alarm box is located underneath your passenger airbag once was)... you can simply unplug them :)

Cool, I'll look out for that tomorrow :)

My next challenge is to remove the carbon canister. From searching I found these steps from Graham_172:

1) open bonnet and locate piping to inlet manifold from charcoal filter. Cut pipe and seal with a stop or cap.(make sure this is done well or the pressure from the inlet will suck the cap into the inlet manifold causing damage)

2)remove front o/s wheel arch liner and you will see the charcoal filter(black box with 2 pipes and 1 sensor connected.). Undo 3 x 13mm long bolts. Keep filter upright or you will spill some of the contents. Unplug filter, disconnect piping.That's the filter gone!

3)from top of the car, pull the wiring back up and remove the sensor from the top of charcoal filter by twisting/pulling. It is a tight fit but only held by a rubber o-ring. reconnect cable and mount somewhere hidden with cable ties or tape. make sure you do this well.(don't want it falling into the fan etc)WITHOUT SENSOR FAULT CODE 443 WILL OCCUR.

4) remove all the pipe including the 2 clips on the chasis. do not cut the pipe till you have made sure you are removing the correct pipe. there are 2 that run under the car fairly near the exhaust on the off side of the car.

Once you have uncliped the pipe from the car and have reached the pipe clip by the middle exhaust mount cut the pipe and seal using another stop/cap. i have used a bolt with large thread pattern which is very secure. allow enough pipe so you can clip it back in neatly as pictured.

5) after refitting the o/s wheel arch and making sure everything is secure. Start the car and all should be well. This modification still allows the fuel tank to breathe through filler cap vent.

That sound right? Sounds simple enough, but I'm sure it's not that easy!

I will have a go at that, and removing the acoustic valve too, as they are both in the way of my brake vents :(

If anyone has done either of these and has any tips, it would be greatly appreciated!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
May have to remove one of the horns in order to fit the ducting. Each horn is a different pitch. Sounds ok with only one, just not as loud.

May have to remove one of the horns in order to fit the ducting. Each horn is a different pitch. Sounds ok with only one, just not as loud.

I still have the two, but I bent one of them out the way a bit, but it would be better if the acoustic valve wasnt there too :(

c6mby

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent write up, how have you found the ast's on track?
Any plans to fit a cage etc?

Excellent write up, how have you found the ast's on track?
Any plans to fit a cage etc?

ASTs are simply awesome. Nuff said. A lot of people on here don't rate them much, but I'm sure they weren't set up properly.

Maybe a cage in the future, not too sure yet. Time will tell ;)

REf the sabelt steerinf wheels where do i get myseld one and iare they hard to fit ?

RSport Wimbledon. Pretty easy to fit, although in my honesty, I didnt fit it :eek:

http://www.renault-retailers.co.uk/renault/dealership.php?dealer=220