ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 running costs....

2004 Clio Extreme
What have people experienced in running costs for their 182's? Things like price of brake discs and pads, things that have to be done at services and what is the service plan??

Anything would be helpfull.

Steve

clio 182
Alrite Mate
Ive had a 182 for a few months now and i dont find it too bad!! At the mo getting about 28.6mpg so filling up about every week and a half! Had a 48k service done which cost £240, and put new front ferodo pads on which were £45!! Hope this is of some help!!!!

Dan

SchwepTek™
Same as above really other than the extortionate £220 tax per year and i'm paying about £1000 insurance a year with 3 years NCB.

182 Full Fat
Only running cost really is increase in petrol you use. Tyres, discs and pads are much the same as any other sort of car TBH. Buy one!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Steve - in all honesty, the 182 isn't too bad on running costs. I'm currently sat on 33.9mpg and a tankful usually lasts me a week.

Servicing costs are reasonable - and typically should be done at every 12k. The 36k service usually would be a good time for the auxiliary belt to be changed as if it snaps, it 'could' take the cambelt with it. With the cambelt on the 182, it's quite labour intensive and involves the removal of the front bumper. Various prices can be seen on here, but as a rule of thumb - circa £500 would put you in good stead. The cambelt should be changed at either 5 years or 60k - whichever comes sooner and as the auxiliary belt runs near the cambelt - that should get done at the same time, regardless.

I had a complete set of EBC brakes a few thou' back after the originals were shot. I went for the Turbo Grooved discs (VERY cheesey name!) and for the Redstuff pads - which came to around £350 in total. The rears on the 182s are a bit finnicky and its recommended that you get new rear wheel bearings when the discs are replaced. They are around £20 each side.

The 182 is cracking on oil - it hardly uses a drop in my experience. Still, I change the oil and filter every 6k just to be totally anal about it. ;) I also had the gearbox oil changed at 32k - well worth doing at service time as it hardly costs much at all.

I've managed just over 40k in mine now since new and aside from replacing tyres (for a leading brand, expect anywhere between £80-£110 per tyre) it's merely cost me a couple of sidelight bulbs and a rear wiper blade.

These Clios do get a bit of slating for their reliability, but look after them well enough and they seem to be ok!

The biggest financial 'hit' you may see is with insurance. Increasingly, insurers are taking a dim view of the RS Clios. Just check out some of the quotes that CS members have been obtaining on here. :(

D.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Steve - in all honesty, the 182 isn't too bad on running costs. I'm currently sat on 33.9mpg and a tankful usually lasts me a week.

Servicing costs are reasonable - and typically should be done at every 12k. The 36k service usually would be a good time for the auxiliary belt to be changed as if it snaps, it 'could' take the cambelt with it. With the cambelt on the 182, it's quite labour intensive and involves the removal of the front bumper. Various prices can be seen on here, but as a rule of thumb - circa £500 would put you in good stead. The cambelt should be changed at either 5 years or 60k - whichever comes sooner and as the auxiliary belt runs near the cambelt - that should get done at the same time, regardless.

I had a complete set of EBC brakes a few thou' back after the originals were shot. I went for the Turbo Grooved discs (VERY cheesey name!) and for the Redstuff pads - which came to around £350 in total. The rears on the 182s are a bit finnicky and its recommended that you get new rear wheel bearings when the discs are replaced. They are around £20 each side.

The 182 is cracking on oil - it hardly uses a drop in my experience. Still, I change the oil and filter every 6k just to be totally anal about it. ;) I also had the gearbox oil changed at 32k - well worth doing at service time as it hardly costs much at all.

I've managed just over 40k in mine now since new and aside from replacing tyres (for a leading brand, expect anywhere between £80-£110 per tyre) it's merely cost me a couple of sidelight bulbs and a rear wiper blade.

These Clios do get a bit of slating for their reliability, but look after them well enough and they seem to be ok!

The biggest financial 'hit' you may see is with insurance. Increasingly, insurers are taking a dim view of the RS Clios. Just check out some of the quotes that CS members have been obtaining on here. :(

D.

Agree totally with that :approve:

ST

D.

Agree totally with that :approve:

+1...

Great write up Darren.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
As for insurance, noone would insure me for anything under £2k. I managed to get a £1000 quote from Bell, everything declared including mods. I checked everything over 5 times before buying and it was all correct.

clio 182
Wot insurance company are you with?? Im 24 got a clio 182 with 4 years ncb and i pay £444 a year!!

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Wot insurance company are you with?? Im 24 got a clio 182 with 4 years ncb and i pay £444 a year!!

That's rather good.

£625 for me!

I'm 32, licence since 18 years of age. Three points for ignoring a traffic light. Live in a quiet low crime area. Car on driveway.

8 Years NCB.

Although three accidents in past five years. Two not at fault, other's insurer paid out. One my fault.

Hmmm maybe £625 isn't too bad?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
4yrs NCb no points!! £900, apparently as i live close to birmingham city centre it is classified as inner city!!
Local policeman(neighbourhood watch meeting) told me that my area is the safest in Birmingham and showed me stats to prove it!!!
barstewards

2004 Clio Extreme
Thanks everybody fro you input, especially Darren, I am moving house in the next month so i dont want my new car parked outside where i live atm (bit of a rough area) but my new place is surrounded with BMW, mercs and audi's so i need not to worry parking it outside, or in the garage for that matter :)

I am 19, (20 on 4th feb) and my insurance will be 1600 F/C on the 182 through elephant, alot but its worth it.