ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - road car / track car / race car

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
The Clio's back! I'm very happy with the cage. Mark fish was a pleasure to deal with. This is the first of the new Safety Devices cage. Now starts the hard work!
IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

Cage 13.JPG

Cage 3.JPG

Cage 2.JPG

Cage 6.JPG

172 cup
Cage looks brilliant mate it's starting to come together mate , what was and where was the garage called you used when you went the ring going in July so always worth knowing if I have any issues

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
The cage looks great.

Some more pics of the rear section would be great.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
I put the harness in temporarily. Very happy with the colour combo of the cage/harnesses. I need to get painting inside but I'm away next weekend so it may be a few weeks away. Roll on the longer summer nights!

IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Cage looks brilliant mate it's starting to come together mate , what was and where was the garage called you used when you went the ring going in July so always worth knowing if I have any issues

http://www.sesterheim-racing.com/

I had a business card but have lost it! I just found it retracing my steps using google maps! He is excellent but doesn't speak a word of English! Frank from the ringhaus pointed me in his directions. Frank/ringhaus is 300m or so from the entrance to the track (tourist day entrance not the main entrance). He called him and translated the conversation for me/him. Like I mentioned before when my rear wheel bearings broke I turned up at 11.00ish, he then had to order the part in and by 16.00 the car was ready to go. Can't ask for more 450 miles from home!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Little update, new job and a stag do have slow the pace up abit. I'm aiming to get the inside finished before I make a start on the outside. The hubs aren't back so there's no rush at the moment. I've removed the bonnet and boot for easier access for to the car. I also removed the stereo to find sime suspect wiring! Also fitted the blanking plate.
IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

I pulled out the internal wiring harness to make painting easier. Also I will re route this and remove what is not needed. I also removed all the upper wires for internal lights etc as I don't need them.
IMG_0349.JPG

Out came the grinder to remove some excess metal work. I have left in the mounts on top of the rear stuts as they look handy to use as mounting points to strap down track day wheels if I need to.

IMG_0350.JPG

The car is almost at internal paint stage now which will be a big step.

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

The bonnet went in the skip as it has a little rust and poor paint and lots of dents (free if anyone wants it? Skip goes soon!)

IMG_0354.JPG

Rain stopped play so it's back in the garage where I hope to do some more bits in the evening now I can get in it with no boot in the way!

IMG_0356.JPG

Next step removed all the electric windows and old glass, then rub down ready for paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    402.6 KB · Views: 190

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to get a second day at the car this weekend, first up removed the electric windows and front glass
IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

Then came a scary half an hour, cutting a big hole in the roof! Measure twice but once, it all went well to be honest. The new dremel multitool came in handy.

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

A productive weekend but many more are needed.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Managed a little paint test tonight. I'm happy with it but I will see what it is like when's it's dry. If it looks good it's full steam ahead once all the prep work is done.

IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
@Hyperhatch planning on racing or just tracking for now?

This year will be track days but I hope to race next year. I have my ARDS starter package but have just changed job and have a big extension to complete this year. The Clio is staying so I'm trying to get the the right bits done to it ready for when the time comes to race. I see you enjoyed the change from track days to race days?

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Managed another night on the car. Attached the fibreglass boot and spoiler temporarily.
IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

Managed to fit the bonnet with aero catches. Ended up finishing this in the dark 😅

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

Had another Clio 182 visit ade_cx .............

IMG_0436.JPG

So much envy at the moment 😂... this is currently at the position my car should be at..

I'm really not sure what to do in terms of 'extent' on my 172 as in an ideal world I'd buy a 182 and swap everything over once the 182 was fully stripped...

Maybe that'll happen next year if a car comes up cheap enough 😂

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
So much envy at the moment 😂... this is currently at the position my car should be at..

I'm really not sure what to do in terms of 'extent' on my 172 as in an ideal world I'd buy a 182 and swap everything over once the 182 was fully stripped...

Maybe that'll happen next year if a car comes up cheap enough 😂

There are a few Clios on this video from a track day I did. There really isn't much in the 172/182.

1min 50 sec - 2min 15 sec -182 vs 172 (it was a cup) side by side. Enjoy the 172 for what it it! I have Brembo 4 pots so was always going to brake last! If the camera could turn to the right you could have seen me and the other driver waving at each other 😂

Anyway isn't the extra 10bhp down the the exhaust/manifold?! Just get them?

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
This year will be track days but I hope to race next year. I have my ARDS starter package but have just changed job and have a big extension to complete this year. The Clio is staying so I'm trying to get the the right bits done to it ready for when the time comes to race. I see you enjoyed the change from track days to race days?

Oh yeah it's a different ball game, I also did it as I was getting bored of the car doing track days....when racing I am now probably a few seconds quicker on laps.
The feeling of being on the grid is amazing and extremely nervous.
Only probably is you just want to spend spend spend on the car ahah

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
One of the most tedious days of my life, masking off the cage then rubbing down the inside! However this has turned into a very satisfying day as the inside is now painted!

Before-

IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG

After-

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

I used silver smooth Hammerite. Rollered the flat bits and sprayed the corners. Cost approx £50. The colour match is spookily similar! And it will be easy to touch up if it gets scratch/damaged.

IMG_0529.JPG

Now I need to get a car in a garage with wet paint 😂

Also, take off as much masking tape that you can whilst it's still wet.

This will stop the paint from cracking along the edges when you take it off whilst dry.

(This is what I've always been told... Shoot me if I'm wrong 🙈:grimacing:)

P.S. I am super jealous now!!!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Also, take off as much masking tape that you can whilst it's still wet.

This will stop the paint from cracking along the edges when you take it off whilst dry.

(This is what I've always been told... Shoot me if I'm wrong 🙈:grimacing:)

P.S. I am super jealous now!!!

No worries! I didn't paint up to the masking tape. It was only there to stop drips/over spray etc. When the cage was fitted they painted a few inches around it. This made it a lot easier to pant!

IMG_0174.JPG

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Took the masking tape off of the cage. When I took it off of the gearknob the leather came off 😂 Time for the PMS upgrade I think!
IMG_0560.JPG

Also I have had a sort out of the internal wiring harness, the main reason being I don't want wires running across the car for no reason (not so much to loose the weight!).

IMG_0585.JPG

What went

IMG_0588.JPG

Suprised to find this a couple of times! French electrics........

IMG_0587.JPG

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Another late night, I think the neighbours think I'm crazy! The wiring harness is back in and clipped in, the rear door cards are in but best of all for the first time in 5 months the car has two permantly fixed in seats! The side mounting points have been adapted so they are both on their lowest settings. I sat in both seats for the first time (two different styles of seats) and I'm happy :smile:

IMG_0591.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG

Momentum on the build is good at the moment, I can't wait to get on with the next bits!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Another late night on the car but we are moving steadily forward.

Firstly I could look at the the new rear door cards in daylight. I'm happy with them.

IMG_0615.JPG

The first plastic window is in. I used the centre mounting bar and fixed the clip that passes through the hole on the original glass window. Super nevious drilling a brand new window :fearscream:

IMG_0618.JPG

Hard to see the window but it's in there!
IMG_0619.JPG

Also managed to get the drivers door card in. I have left the cables in for the mirrors, windows etc just in case I want to use them again. As with the rear I have used foam seal to stop any rattles (pointless in a car with no sound deadening?!).
Used the grey door handle straps and handle spacers. Just need to get the passenger one on now. Should be easier second time round.

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 155