ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - road car / track car / race car

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
A productive day again but a trip away next weekend and a busy period at work will slow things up for the next couple of weeks.

The passenger door card and window are now in which almost makes the interior complete. We'll sort of! There are a few wires that need sorting out from the front roof section. I have left the centre consol section as it is at the moment as I'm unsure what to do. I will be ordering a PMS shifter this week so I will make up my mind then. I have put the seat belts in (I will roll the tails up next time I work on the car to make it look tidier). Also I need to get the steering wheel on! I need some new mats (I did try skateboard gripper tape but it didn't work as well as I wanted due to all the lumps and bumps in the floor!)

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

I'm loving the seats now they have no covers on them. At last I feel low in the car.

IMG_0682.JPG

Most of today was spent making the new fibreglass boot fit. The aero catches are on but they were a tight fit to the edge of the boot. I just need to find a paint shop and get all the fibreglass parts painted silver.

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

Hubs are back a week today so work will start on making the car faster at last!

Attachments

• IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 350

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
These arrived today, some very shiny bits attached to some very rusty bits! Can't wait to get them on as once with they are on with all the other bits around them (new brake arrangement) I can tax and insure the car!

IMG_1105.JPG

I've also just realised the engine in the car cost less than each one of them 😊

Attachments

• IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 360

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
So we are back to depressing car looking sorry for itself mode!

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

All the fibreglass parts are off and waiting to be dropped off for paint and as mention before the car has no front wheel assemblies.

So I thought I would get the runner gear back on last Friday. I tidied up the hubs ready for the new bearings but changing the front wheel bearings took so long we ended up finishing at midnight! So hopefully I can get it done this weekend.
IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1452.JPG

A few choices on the direction of the car have taken place. Basically it's been off the road for 7 months now (I thought it would be 3 months ish), spare time for me is limited at the moment and spending that has got out of control that needed reining in! So I'm taking the easy route and leaving the 300mm discs on and running 16' wheels this year. This makes rebuilding faster. Also all the a/c equipment will stay in ATM.

Recently I took delivery of the new discs, calliper piston covers, all the anti roll bar bushes updated to poly bushes (that makes every bush poly now!) and this........

IMG_1503.JPG

Happy it's silver and not gold as I have seen many are!

Best news is I have a deadline to focus the mind, Castle Combe 17th July............:stig::smile:

Last edited:

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Hubs are on, again we would like to have gone further but although the car is in a garage it is/was chucking it down making it hard work.
IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1533.JPG

The new discs are on and the studs were swapped over to the current hubs. Hope to get the new anti roll bar bushes on for Saturday and finish all the little jobs around the hubs. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be waiting for paint for the panels before she hits the road again. Still there are 1001 things to tidy up in the short term including finding some 5mm spacers.

Anyway, looks like camber won't be an issue.......

IMG_1534.JPG

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Args...this pics with the hubs dosnt make my decission easier

I can't comment on how they work as I haven't driven it yet! But they quality is superb and I have yet to read a negative comment about them!

They're not cheap but they don't wear and with the limited quantity of them I guess the resale value of them is high?

As I say to the wife, think of it as an investment:tearsofjoy:

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
It felt like one step forward two steps back at the beginning of today. Manage to get the car out to finish off the hubs/brakes. It kept raining on and off making life hard. Sadly once the working on the calliper we found the seals to be toast.

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

This annoys me a bit as I want to start putting things together not taking them apart! Still we have an interesting brake set up now.....

IMG_1549.JPG

Managed to torque the hub up correctly and re fit and loctite the studs into the drivers side hub. I did have one set of repair seals but will carry out the calliper refurbishment at a mates who's as it's better equipped and we need to wait for a new set of seals for the other calliper.

Luckily it stopped raining so we managed to tackle a few other jobs. First off the steering wheel finally went on. The horn button isn't on correctly as I need to finish the wiring but the feel and position of the new wheel is awesome!

IMG_1547.JPG

It is on straight btw, the wheels weren't straight at the time of the photo!

Then we took the front bumper off ready for headlight washer delete and aero clips to be fitted. I'm toying with the idea of running the fatty induction again and making a cold air feed to the cone. We will see!

IMG_1555.JPG

We also took the opertunity to remove all the a/c bits apart from the compressor. The a/c radiator was bent like a banana! All this has gone from the car now.

IMG_1561.JPG

But the funniest part of the day was finding this written on the front cross member, think someone was upset to crash the car at some point 😂

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

It will be staying!

That's it for today, I managed to drop the bonnet, boot, spoiler and roof scoop off for paint. They should be back within two weeks and it's costing £280. I pretty happy with that

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Result the paint man called yesterday and he has already finished the parts. Managed to pop over and get them this morning and loosely fit them to the car.

I'm over the moon with the colour match. I know matching fibreglass panels is hard work, especially when they didn't have the car!

IMG_1785.JPG
IMG_1787.JPG
IMG_1791.JPG
IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1792.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG
IMG_1796.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG

The problem is they've done such a good job that I want to get the front bumper painted now (it has the usual damage a 12 year car with circa 100k would have). Must remember it's a track car and not a show car 😂

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Another day on the car, lots done but not much visually. Replaced all the brake seals. Turns out all the drivers side seals had melted. One of the pots was hard to remove and stuck so possible it was stuck on a bit? The difference in the pads from one side to the other is pretty big.

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

IMG_1850.JPG

Once done they were bolted back on with the new 5mm spacers.

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

Next up was the front anti roll bar bushes. Now all the bushes on the car are power flex.

IMG_1858.JPG

Finally we had time to fit the PMS shifter. I image this would be 10 times easier with a ramp! It took a little time to set up but feels good. Obviously I haven't driven it yet! Well happy it's silver/black as it suits the car.

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1859.JPG

There is an ever growing list of little jobs but we are starting to get there. The window bonder man is coming next week, that should be a big step.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to get the aero clips on the bumper today. Started in daylight and ended in the dark again:confused:

IMG_1904.JPG

Quickly clipped on the headlight washer blanks on but think I might remove them and paint them silver to match the car.

IMG_1906.JPG

I've gone about rouge with the next bit! As mentioned a few pages back I did try the 'fatty' induction cone fitter set up but took it off as I felt it didn't make the car any faster but........... I did like the sound of it. So I'm going to give the cone filter set up another go but this time I'm going to try and get some cold air up to the cone. It's a bit work in progress but the inlet to the cold air feed is in. As mentioned before the car will stay road legal at the moment so no pulling out the headlight etc and ducting air in that way. Instead I got given a couple of these duct inlets.

IMG_1910.JPG

I'm happy about robbing a bit of air from in front of the radiator as I don't run the a/c radiator now so air flow should be fine to the radiator. So out with the Dremel and we have the inlet temporarily in place now.

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

Then night stopped play again!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome little track car mate, similar to ours, we also have the TIT on our slam bar

you need the EPAS set up, ours blew its high pressure pipe at the ring fluid every where was a right ball ache

Thanks, haven't considered EPAS but might do one day. Just want to get it back on the road/track so no extra jobs at the moment! It's been off the road to long!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Second here for EPAS, makes a load of space in the bay as well.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Got to be honest I wouldn't even know where to start! Is there a link to the conversion? How much are the parts etc?

Not sure if there's a conversion guide on here buts its pretty straightforward, I did mine last year and I personally think it is a good improvement over the standard setup, especially as the assistance is adjustable so can be almost completely turned off on track.

Parts wise you're looking at the following

Cup Alternator setup £120 on average

EPAS column with Ecu £50, these do vary in price, and you'll need one with the lower half of the steering column as the original sport ones don't split down.

Ebay wiring kit with variable resistor £45, there is a cheaper one but the more expensive comes with additional bits for power supply that you need to buy separately otherwise.

Few metres of power/earth cable to wire up the EPAS ecu

I think that's it, I can pm you some more details if you decide to go down this route

Ads

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the advice on the EPAS @Ads29 & @Akay I will look at doing it next time it's all apart (unless is breaks before them!). Just need to get it moving under its on steam for the moment!

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Big step tonight! The Clio has all its windows again! Every one is polycarbonate except the front windscreen.

IMG_1978.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG

Mate of a mate who works for one of the big window companies fitted them. He also bonded on the new spoiler. Just need to wait so I can take the protective film off.

I've also fitted the canards to the front bumper.

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Slow progress again, tried to change the inner antiroll bar bushes but they wouldn't fit. Turns out I have 23mm ones and not the 25mm ones so new ones are on the way.

Tried to 'wrap' the mirrors but all the bends are to tight so it looks Crap! I will probably paint them to match the rest of the graphics.....

IMG_2260.JPG

All the induction parts are here so I will get them on soon so I can final fit the bumper.

IMG_2269.JPG

Also I have changed the headlight washer blanks to 'hammerite' silver which has tidied the bumper up. I can't get over the colour match:tearsofjoy:

IMG_2267.JPG

Literally days away from the first drive, this bush issue is so fustrating

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Had a final push to get the car moving under its own steam last night. First up the inner antiroll bar bushes. I had to order another set as I had the 23mm ones and not the 25mm ones. Even with the wrong ones it was increadible hard to get them to fit. We removed a lot of material from and outside and then they finally fitted in.

IMG_2321.JPG

IMG_2324.JPG

Then all the brakes were bleed, lots and lots of bubbles!!

IMG_2319.JPG

(Floating car!)

Then with darkness descending I thought I could drive the car for the first time in 7 months...........

Wheels on, start the car and let it idle whilst we cleared up the tools and then splutter splutter stop:rage:

As I kind of expected the battery is 'broken'. I charged it last week and it's not holding charge so I will order a new one and try again next week! So close but so far......

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome work, keep it up . Do you have any pictures of where the cage goes through the dash and specifically how it affects the wiring, uch and fuse box please ?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Fuse box has moved to the passenger footwell. The passenger airbag has been removed.
Both side airvent duct need to be cut.
The small speakers are removed/cut.
The supporting bar for the steering colum needs cutting and then a short stub section needs to be welded back in.
Apart from that is slides straight in:smile:
IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG

Car update-

For the first time since I have owned it I've wanted to set fire to the bloody thing! Seams like the alternator has failed and a few other teething problems have held up what should have been a simple run to the finish. Also work has gone crazy and the wife has been away so daddy daycare has been in action which means there has been no time to work on the car.

End result-

Tomorrow I will insure &Tax the car for the first time since October :yum::smile::cool: ready to deliver it to the mechanic to get the issues sorted and a full laser alignment carried out on Tuesday. Then I can put some miles on it ready for the track day that is now less than three weeks away!

Oh, and then sort out all the little jobs like finishing the induction box, pipes, fit the windscreen washers, remove the rest of the interior wiring etc etc etc!