ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Oil Over Fill problems?!

FF Titanium 182
Does this need draining? Over on the dipstick. Showed a mechanic friend of mine he said he would just leave it but you know what there like!

IMG_20150302_094940_zpsago33ddk.jpg

FF Titanium 182
No mate the road is pretty straight 2bh. Slightly cambered but hardly anything really

Ph2 172
I've seen them over filled like that before, probably be alright but I always drain it for peace of mind

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I don't get what being slightly over would do. Mine drinks oil a little, so i give it a few mm over the line when i renew oil each time.

FF Titanium 182
This is the point if its not going to cause problems its not worth the messy hastle but if it is then i will drain some of it out?

clio v6
Drain some out as it can in rare cases blow oil seals on engines but not that this is going to happen ,but just for the sake of a 10 min job and peice of mind just drain a bit out .:spanner:

FF Titanium 182
So what we lookin at here, get a bit drained out? Its not massively over and quite a few people have said shouldnt cause any issues...

182 Cup/V70 D5
old indian trick I learned when I was a biker - once tried to 'drain a little oil' after I slightly over filled after an oil change. Oil comes out with some bloody force and I struggled to get the sump plug back in quick enough and made a right mess. If you can get a plastic syringe and some tubing, draw the oil out through the filler if possible. Obviously a lot easier on a shallow motorcycle engine but worth a try. From what I remember, over filled oil can cause a bit of damage to the catalytic convertor or might end up with oil in engine box - can't remember where I've read either of these things but they spring to mind...

FF Titanium 182
Well i was told has to be quite a bit to cause issues with seals etc. i dont think 1/4 to 1/2 would make a massive difference but good idea wity the dropper.

FF Titanium 182
Thought i would re-check it outside work on more level ground as you can see. Got a normal full result so i think its just the road i done the original check on.

IMG_20150302_173440_zpsxk4otud3.jpg

IMG_20150302_173631_zpsezj6kncg.jpg

FF Titanium 182
im very suprised a slight bend it the road would make such a difference. Happy with check it there though was sat for over 4hours and sat almost flat so its all good

BG Clio 182
im very suprised a slight bend it the road would make such a difference. Happy with check it there though was sat for over 4hours and sat almost flat so its all good
Yeah mate. On my drive the oil shows right to the bottom of the stick and the coolant is way down. I check it when I'm in a car park or something and it's obviously spot on so I've just learn to check it when I'm out and about lol.

FF Titanium 182
I believe the oil level 'rises' when the nearside is lower and the level lowers when the drivers side is lower

Looks like that could be the case mate! The near side was slightly lower at the time of the first picture