ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Track WIP

Range Rover Sport
Well, not much has happened as of late.

Had this arrive yesterday:
m9801j.jpg

So today I took it to TCR to have it fitted:
52zabn.jpg

2a4qmnl.jpg

Only drove it back from TCR so not had chance to really see if it's made any improvement however hopefully i'll get half hour the weekend to have a little drive out.

Range Rover Sport
Not been too much progress in all honest. Had a nightmare with the wheels. Buying/Selling was let down a few times which in turn meant I had to let people down.

However finally I see the light and picking some wheels up over the weekend.

Anyway, I'm trying to cut down on the spending at the moment as the idea was to keep it a budget track car (Not that it will happen) however I was doing a little research on here for things to do that wouldn't cost much to do.

Anyway I'll let the pictures do the talking:

1zdnblz.jpg

i3cie8.jpg

t8rlsy.jpg

121uzqs.jpg

25jii5i.jpg

29z7jpe.jpg

I bought a cheap 'heat gun' from eBay which cost circ £10.00 and got to work, I was amazed at how heavy the compound which I am guessing is some sort of tar. I used a screw driver, thinking back a plastic scraper of some sort would have been much better as I did catch the paint a few times. Once removed I then used AG tar remover and used a wheel brush to clean the excess tar.

Like I say I'm amazed how heavy the 'tar' is once its gone hard again. I would guess a saving of 3kg each side. Including the roof and boot I think the weight saving must be around 10kgs. Now to me a hour or two and a saving of 10kg is well worth it.

Only managed to do the drivers side as I ran out of tar remover, I did go a little OTT using it.

Clio 172
I did that with mine a month back, I hated it and I haven't got the patience! Mine was worse on the roof, I ended up painting over some of it, it was that bad!

Range Rover Sport
I did that with mine a month back, I hated it and I haven't got the patience! Mine was worse on the roof, I ended up painting over some of it, it was that bad!

Basically took me 5 minutes per strip. The idea in the long run is to have the interior painted. However we're talking many moons away.

Touch wood I didn't find it too difficult however the roof I believe will be the worst to do.

Range Rover Sport
The drivers footwell looks good Aaron.

The tar patches in the front doors and rear quarter are also worth removing ;)

Yes I'll be doing them all. Need to get some more tar remover though and be a little more 'collective' with the use.

A little hesitant to use the heat gun around the fuel tank so the one behind the front seats I may find harder to do. (Vertical)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yes I'll be doing them all. Need to get some more tar remover though and be a little more 'collective' with the use.

A little hesitant to use the heat gun around the fuel tank so the one behind the front seats I may find harder to do. (Vertical)
Don't worry about the fuel tank mate. I welded my cage feet in with the tank still in place!! Lol! No issues there either.

Range Rover Sport
Right I've now done the passenger and boot.

I have the roof, under rear window and one attached near fuel tank.

I did use white spirit but it's not as good as tar remover so I'll pick some up mid week and do the remaining next weekend.

I'm glad I'll be able to use the heat gun, had visions of blowing myself to pieces.

Range Rover Sport
Not much in terms of great progress, just little things:

Firstly, I noticed the centre section of the exhaust was a slight bit lower than normal, so I replaced the middles exhaust hanger.

Old
29zwkmu.jpg

New
f4612.jpg

Finally got around to picking the wheels up. They'll not be stopping black however for now they'll be fine. I've fitted a set of the Nankang NS2-R 'semi slick' tyres to them and I must say I'm very impressed with them (120).
4hfqrp.jpg

Now I have been searching for a rear wiper blank for months, I come across a member doing a GB on carbon fibre products. Luckily they do a rear wiper blank in carbon, while not what I wanted in terms of colour I thought the carbon fibre one would be fine while I concentrate on other areas of the car as the current one I took a hacksaw to remove the rear wiper.

Extremely excited when it finally turned up, however after opening the jiffy bag I cant say I was that impressed. It either looks second hand or extremely poor made. For now it'll have to do and as its only our track day car I suppose its not the end of the world however if it was my road car I doubt it would be getting fitted. Doubt the iphone will pick up the problem. It looks when/whoever has lacquered the blank has put too much on and its run. Also the carbon isn't the neatest near the edges. However like I say at the moment it'll do.

2zdoa5s.jpg

2ltjy0z.jpg

vf9tg3.jpg

n4uxpd.jpg

2zdoa5s.jpg

Range Rover Sport
Wheels scrubbed up lovely chap, glad I wasn't on the list of let downs :)

No, buddy you were extremely helpful. The wheels were treated to a little back to black lol.

Not or really let down with the wiper blank, just not the quality I was expecting.

Civic FN2 Track Car
I had some bullets and wing mirrors made by them and they were terrible I sent them straight back the same day.

Range Rover Sport
I had some bullets and wing mirrors made by them and they were terrible I sent them straight back the same day.

Thats a shame, I was hoping it was just a poor batch or something.

Like I say at the moment it'll do.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
If you have not got all the tar out I found WD40 good just sprayed it on and it wiped off with a cloth.
Also spray the interior with rattle cans I did mine cost about £15 with paint and plastic sheets to cover the car and it is a very good finish and looks 100% better.

Range Rover Sport
I've thought about painting the interior, I just think I'd make a total mess of it.

Last edited:
  Range Rover Sport
I'm going to do a little but of reading on this as I do like the idea of getting the interior painted. Thanks.

Range Rover Sport
no problem
I think I seen your car down TCR about 2 weeks ago they told me they had just fitted the PMS strut brace and mounts

Yes that would have been mine. Just adding 1 bit at a time.

Slow process but it'll get there one day!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Trying to track down Midnight if anyone has details. He has taken payment for wheels and is now not replying to PMs
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Lt Columbo