ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 - Tin Top

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Maybe a silly question but I may start racing my Clio however I am trying to find out what I would be allowed to go in....

I have a Clio 172 cup currently stripped out and few other mods not to bothered about that for now I can sort those things out.
What I am looking for is what championship can I go in as I'm presuming by the title that the 750MC is for 182 series only...what about the tin tops...does anybody race in these at the minute?
Or if anyone knows anything about where I can find out for information about racing in 172 that would be good
Josh

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Brilliant thanks for this, so you are in the A class in guessing?
How many are normally at the race meetings? I'm going to see how much I need to do to the car as I currently have it set up for track use only but from reading the regs I may need to change a few things

Go online and read a copy of the MSAblubook to build the car to their liking, mainly for saftey.

Yes I am in Class A, whats the spec of your car? If its very mildly modded it might be an idea to race in production class.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
So it's currently
Half cage - ( I know I would need full MsA cage)
Front and rear strut brace
RARB
Standard engine -(upgrade panel filter)
Brembo HC discs + carbon Lorraine Rc6 pads (front) RC5 pads (rear)
888 tyres (dry) federal rsr (damp/wet)
Front 12mm wheel spacers
Solid engine mounts + dogbone
Standard 172 manifold + cat but then miltek system 94-98db
Camber bolts -2.3/-2.5 negative on front + -1.5 camber shims on back
Gaz coilovers (not sure on spring rates etc etc)
Drivers seat + 3 point harness
Standard gear box
Think that's about it....
If someone could say what I need to change that's good haha
I believe I would need cut off switch for battery.
Car currently weights 980kg I think recently been corner weighted too.
@sonny172cup
Cheers Josh

Sounds like a very good spec, tbh you are better off running in class A, however you will need to up the power of the engine to be competitive, cams bodies and a diff is really a must.

Back to safety, you will need at least a 6 point cage (bolt in is fine) Safety Devices do a great 6 point.

Yes you will need a battery cut off but a FIA 6 pin one, this cuts power to the engine and earths the alternator, it will be tested prior to every race,the switch must be arms reach from driver when belted in and also a secondary means of cutting the power from outside the vehicle (T pull), electric variants are available.

Fire Ex needs to be minimum 2.25ltrs and again be able to deploy the ext from inside and outside the veh. (JJC do a good clubman pack).

You need tow eyes front and rear min 60mm hoop in bright colour

Seat belt has to be 6 point anchored using the correct FIS style plates.

Rain light to be fitted to rear or you can use the foglights, but a proper rain light is a great aid, if your ever in a spray all you will be following is the rain light in front.

Theres loads of other stuff too you really need to look at the blue book mate.

Where are you located? Why mot pop down to the next Tricolore Trophy race meet an have a cha with the lads and have a look around the cars.

Next meet is Cadwell Park next week (i wont be there) and one afternoon Silverstone in mid August

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
I'm in Cheshire mate around 10 mins from Oulton Park... I go cadwell often for my track days but it is a journey over there...
Ahh right okay few things will need to be changed then will have to have a read.
The regs for the standard class located on the same page?

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Ignore the last bit about regs just realised class A is the modified class....think I will come down to one at some point will have a look at the calendar, it's just getting my head around what I need extra and what I have to change so I can have a look around

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Yeah I meant class A sorry, so coilovers are okay in modified class then I presume

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Ahh right okay so really for me it's make the saftey to the 'blue book' then technically I could enter but may not be competitive in the class if people are on boddies ect ect
@sonny172cup
Think I have just watched some of your videos on Facebook, trying to figure of what sort of lap times are being done, I tend to do 2.08-2.10 around full circuit at Oulton

WRX
Tricolore races are generally on the Saturday Josh so we are at Oulton on the 3rd. With regards to times, Class A are around 2:02 iirc. I'm looking at around 2:07 in Production spec.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
No worries @-D4N-
Me and a mate are actually trying to bring 2 cars to the championship next year, we both currently have cars a similar spec to mine listed above so only a few things to change

@Tony Hunter that is very good going have you a link to the spec of your car? Thanks

182cup & 172 racecar
No secret.
Hi comp engine built by BTM (Fred)
227 bhp
Ast suspension revalued and beefed up
Standard box with Megane 5th gear and gripper diff.
Pms strengthened rear beam.
Tdf ecu.
That's it really.
Oh, and big balls. :)

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Me and a friend will hopefully be joining next season, trying to get 2 cars in sponsored by his garage just need to plan how far we are going to go with them the spec of my car is the one I mentioned in this thread, his is similar but has a remap and few other little bits.
@Tony Hunter with sounding like an idiot now far off would we be without throttle bodies etc etc

182cup & 172 racecar
A standard engine on itb's we and an ecu to suit, are fairly competitive, but not a front runner.
We ran this in Tin Tops for a couple of years, on an old 97k crashed 172 cup engine.
Top 3 finishes all year.
It just gave up at Oulton Park.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Well mine is just needs a few changes such as new inlet/bodies plastic windows and a few other touch ups

My mate has a is a proper mechanic does a lot for ford tuning (RS/ST) so I think we will be doing his best we can as he currently has a 172 she'll and engine with only a few bits on!
@Tony Hunter how many are in the modified class?

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
A fair few then, looking forward to it hopefully will be joining next season with @Scottty4eva - he has a project thread running with the details.

Renault Clio 172
Hi Josh,
If you and your pal want to pop over to Wakefield, feel free. My car is a class A, and I will happily show you what we have done to it.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
@Apg100 Cheers mate, We will consider it thanks for the offer. Will you be at Oulton Park in October?

@TarkMalbot If you have a look in the 'Project Thread' at 'Scotts road to Tricolore Trophy' me and him are going to be joining the Tricolore Trophy next season, are you considering this too?

Renault Clio 172
@Apg100 Cheers mate, We will consider it thanks for the offer. Will you be at Oulton Park in October?

@TarkMalbot If you have a look in the 'Project Thread' at 'Scotts road to Tricolore Trophy' me and him are going to be joining the Tricolore Trophy next season, are you considering this too?
Hi, no mate. It's my daughters birthday, and I've been told the locks will be changed if I miss another one! I'm at Silverstone this weekend, and all been well at Castle Combe (even though it's miles away!)

182cup & 172 racecar
If it doesn't break, I'll be at Oulton, come and say hi.
Good to see more guys joining.

Big grids next year by the looks of it.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
@Tony Hunter me and @Scottty4eva will be coming down to inspect and get some ideas haha
I think mainly it's just to get an idea of what people are running and what we need for sure...if anyone could recommend somewhere for plastic windows that would be great or know of anyone selling any let me know :)
Do you have any videos I can view on YouTube?

182cup & 172 racecar
Just look up Burpspeed on YouTube.
I think there a burpspeed chanel as well, lots on there.

I used plastics for performance for my windows.

182cup & 172 racecar
Josh, this may be of interest to you.

I have just about confirmed, after many a discussion, a class for the hardened trackday goer.
It's a step up from Production class, and not a balls out Class A.
Production Plus
This will allow all suspension mods, plastic windows etc etc, but must run on standard engine and inlets.

This should help people that have an over specced car for Production, ie, most TD cars have coilovers etc already, so should help the progression from one to another.

Tony

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Josh, this may be of interest to you.

I have just about confirmed, after many a discussion, a class for the hardened trackday goer.
It's a step up from Production class, and not a balls out Class A.
Production Plus
This will allow all suspension mods, plastic windows etc etc, but must run on standard engine and inlets.

This should help people that have an over specced car for Production, ie, most TD cars have coilovers etc already, so should help the progression from one to another.

Tony
Do you know if they will be running in the same race as all the classes at the moment? Not this will bother me just wondering for numbers on the grid