ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 resonating at 80mph + . More speed related than rpm.

Clio 172
Hi all,

Clio 172 resonating at 80mph + . More speed related than rpm. Ounce at 80+ if you back off accelerator it reduces but as soon as I reapply it increases. But only over 80mph. Any ideas lads

Clio 172
I haven't fitted it, but it does have purple bushes. Wheels are fine and checked. As I said it's more resonance.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Vibrating? I get a little at a similar speed but nothing below. Putting it down to driveshaft.

Clio 172
Yer, fine vibration. Gonna try moving engine forward in case it's touching rack. It all started when I notice one of the spring bolts between the manifold and the cat was loose. Tightened it up and now this.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
how on earth are you going to move the engine forwards. That's a highly unlikely scenario and it's better for you to make sure everything is nipped up and got the clearance it needs. What sort of noise? metallic, grinding etc. Is there vibration in the steering wheel?

Clio 172
After 80mph, when I accelerate the car hums and the steering resonates like a phone on vibrate ( I know....strange description) . But all started since spring bolt re fitted. If it was to tight or if it changed the exhaust position enough to touch steering rack.

Clio 172
Just checked the torque of the centre nuts and they were all well over 175nm so I have backed them off to 175nm. Will test drive tomorrow. Thanks all so far for your help.