ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 phase 1 turbo

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I should have asked at the end of the other post, do you think the high ambient/track temps were a contributing factor?

NO doubt at all mate that they were a contributing factor, the last thing you want for reliability on a turbo is hot ambient temps, but at the same time it obviously shouldnt be a problem if all else was in order, but it does just remove a big chunk of your error margin.

I will be using some different injectors next time as like mentioned in this thread im right at the limit of the megane ones anyway, and its silly running injectors flat out, but its one of those things where when I put the engine together I was only originally planning on just under 300bhp as that was all I thought the car would really make use of, but the chassis with the new diff and new suspension etc takes the power so well I then ended up increasing it beyond that.

When I bolt it together next time I will do so with just over 300bhp in mind from the outset, so will make some slight spec changes accordingly.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Unlucky mate :( Hopefully things will calm down soon and you'll get some free time to work on it and get it sorted. :)

Ive got the head off now so I know what bits to order etc, but I will leave it till winter to even try and do the work now, as Ive got so much renovation work on the house and so many other cars that are more urgent to crack on with.

Oh plus we just bought an RB yesteday which no doubt will take some of the precious little time I have too.

Getting a bit silly clio wise now we have:
Williams powered Mk1
Ph1 turbo
Ph2 RS2
RB 182

whoopsy!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Ive got the head off now so I know what bits to order etc, but I will leave it till winter to even try and do the work now, as Ive got so much renovation work on the house and so many other cars that are more urgent to crack on with. Oh plus we just bought an RB yesteday which no doubt will take some of the precious little time I have too. Getting a bit silly clio wise now we have:

Williams powered Mk1
Ph1 turbo
Ph2 RS2
RB 182

whoopsy!

Glutton for punishment or what?!?! I sense a busy end to the year... ...and a busy start to the next! I'll be following your thread(s) with interest.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes mate. Pulled the head off yesterday before we went to collect the RB. Melted piston just like I expected.

Bit of molten piston material splattered on the head and no doubt on the turbo too (although that is still on the car at moment so haven't checked)

no det marks at all, so seems almost certain it was just lean on that cylinder, with the injector being most likely candidate.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Will get one at weekend but tbh there isn't a lot to see, just the edge of a piston melted and then it splatters head and piston so you get what looks like silver sand on it.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Busy man. All work or the other toys?

Guess winter approaching there's less opportunity for you to drive it anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah only event left I would have done probably is Trax anyway.

Lack of time is down to a combination of loads of weekend work for clients and doing building work on the new gaff.
Spent tonight welding up a tyre rack that I've mounted on the back wall of one of the garages for example. Not much fun but sadly all needs doing in order to free up space to get the cars in and work on them. Good thing is we will probably stay here quite long term so once I've got it all how I want it I'm going to be well setup for working on cars after that :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol. Not really interested in anymore tbh. I don't go drag racing and track it was spot on anyway. More power will not make it more fun particularly and will just knacker the box more often.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So far only used it at Combe, Llandow, Bedford, silver stone.

Suited all of them tbh. The diff was epic at a wet Llandow in particular though.

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
So the turbos back for next season then :) hopefully will get alot of track time with you guys this next year

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Started with fitting an EPAS setup on it today now that Im finally putting some time in.

Doesnt go straight into the Phase 1 though, the motor wants to occupy the space that the heater outlet for the drivers vent lives in, the brackets for mounting it upto the dash rail are slightly different as well.

Lots of swearing and a bit of cutting and got the column in now although thats means I now need to remake the pipework around it or blank off the outlet to the drivers vent as the standard ph1 pipe isnt going to fit, was a lot more hassle than I expected TBH as I was thinking it would only be a half hour job swapping the column. If anyone else is doing it, you need to remove the motor off the column, push the motor up by the motor (I trimmed the outlet back to give more space) and then while you have the motor tucked up there, get the column loosely into place then reattach the motor in situ then bolt the column up, all in all a bit of a pain!
Will be worth it in the end though just to get rid of the pipework from the bay and remove the resorvoir etc as its a pain working on it with all that and the extra pipework for the turbo etc, so anything that makes it less cramped in the bay is a good thing.

Sadly couldnt fit the rack I got yet though as the one that turned up from ebay is a 3.25 turns one not a 2.75 one. And the Ecu and the control unit havent turned up yet either.

Am also going to fit the cup brake setup (I bought Dan's one when his cup got crashed into at combe as I figured one day I would want to do it on the turbo so may as well do it now while the engine is out) to clean the bay up a bit further and cause I just dont want ABS so its pointless having that lot on there.

Not going to try and get it ready for bedford now, as there are too many jobs left for small amount of time off Ive got between now and then, and I dont want to be rushing the engine build and mapping it on the way there etc and all that drama like Ive done with lots of cars in the past, would sooner just miss that one event and end up with an 6 weekends extra on my side as probably not going to be out again till april.
Plus Lesley prefers the 182 and bedford is her favourite track so she'll be pleased that one is going instead.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
After seeing the size of the Williams/16valver hubs I don't blame you tbh mate. They're tiny in comparison, as I'm sure you are aware!

Still normally strong enough and are lighter so in some ways better. Main problem though is the shafts. Williams ones are expensive and hard to find and valver ones are shorter than I require. Where as 172 ones are cheap and available readily both new and second hand.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Still normally strong enough and are lighter so in some ways better. Main problem though is the shafts. Williams ones are expensive and hard to find and valver ones are shorter than I require. Where as 172 ones are cheap and available readily both new and second hand.
Yeah the weight reduction did enter into my mind when I saw them. Shame the shafts are a pita really.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I used spacers on the cv joints and valver shafts when I was on r19 arms on my last mk1 but the new one is a touch wider and would be pushing it too much length wise even with the 10mm cv spacers.