ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 No power at coil cables\plugs

dci 105hp & rs172
hi mates

I have a clio 172, the engine runs fine but will not start.

Has fuel, pump is okay, but no energy in the coil cables / plugs.

crankshaft sensor is new.

What else can it be?

Clio 197
hi mates

I have a clio 172, the engine runs fine but will not start.

Has fuel, pump is okay, but no energy in the coil cables / plugs.

crankshaft sensor is new.

What else can it be?

Have you checked the +ve connection to the coil pack (inside the plug, 3rd metal pin). Is it getting 12V?

If so - do you have a spark at the coilpack end (to test- remove a lead and rest it close to the top of the coilpack - you should be able to see it sparking when cranking). If you have a spark then check the plug end of the lead for a spark.

If not then its a wiring issue between the battery and the coil pack connector.

Hope this helps.

Clio sport 182
when you put the key in the ignition and turn the key does the engine turn over ? does the led in the insturment panel flash when cranking over ?

dci 105hp & rs172
Have you checked the +ve connection to the coil pack (inside the plug, 3rd metal pin). Is it getting 12V?

If so - do you have a spark at the coilpack end (to test- remove a lead and rest it close to the top of the coilpack - you should be able to see it sparking when cranking). If you have a spark then check the plug end of the lead for a spark.

If not then its a wiring issue between the battery and the coil pack connector.

Hope this helps.

12v has the 3rd pin. coil/plugs cables has no power.

Clio 197
So there is no spark between the top of the lead and the coilpack connector - you may need an assistant to help crank the engine whilst you have a look & you may need to move it closer, trial and error really.

BUT if you have 12v to the coilpack but no spark then my guess is on the coilpack - try a working second hand one if you can before paying for a new one.

dci 105hp & rs172
I'll try to find a used coil.
This is tricky because there are few clio 2.0.

There is another model that uses a coil with the same reference?

Clio 197
Was the coil in working order ?

How secure is the wire/coilpack connection ? Does it have the retaining clip fitted?

Is it definitely not sparking , have you tried moving it closer and having someone else crank the engine?

dci 105hp & rs172
The retaining clip is from the plug coil, right?
Yes it has.

I can not understand because they never have the energy in the coil.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If the coilpack has 12v reference power and is known to be working on another vehicle then there is only one reason it won't be firing and that's the trigger lines aren't being controlled. These are ECU controlled earths and the only thing that normally stops these firing is when the ECU itself does not see/recognise "rotation" (Normally due to a fault on the crank sensor circuit).

Why was the crankshaft sensor replaced? Was it the newer blue unit and was the short wiring loom replaced at the same time?

Mick

dci 105hp & rs172
I replaced because the old one was in bad shape.

The new one is black, but not changed the wiring.

How to evade this problem you say?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The older crank sensors and the multiplug are a common weak point which is why Renault have updated them both to a newer "Blue" unit. I just wondered if this had been fitted when you changed the crank sensor as getting the wires the wrong way round would most likely cause this issue.

Ideally you need someone to look at the ECU's live data parameters to see if it is "Seeing" rotation when you turn the ignition key (eg - It is displaying an RPM value other than 0rpm when cranking) followed by a quick session on a scope to rule out an actual sensor VS wiring fault. As they're fairly cheap though you could just gamble and replace the sensor as Fred said above as it's most likely goosed.

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Ultimately yes but really, I prefer to know what the actual problem is before going out and spending money on parts based on a guess as it *may* be a wiring issue somewhere in the gearbox loom area (another common fault area on the X65)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It doesn't have to be CLIP, any decent diagnostic equipment should be able to see engine speed via the CAN/K-Line or via generic EODBII. Just bare in mind that the data output may be slow via a generic interface especially via something like ELM Scan but that doesn't matter for the purposes of this exercise... if you see the RPM value move from 0rpm to say 250-300rpm when cranking then the ECU is seeing rotation and the issue isn't with the Crank sensor.

dci 105hp & rs172
I've even made ​​a diagnosis before and had no sensor error. but I will check again if it sends signal.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Crank sensors never flag a fault code, you have to look at the engine speed parameter to see if its working or not