ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Gearbox Issue

2002 Clio Sport 172
Hello, I've recently joined the Renault scene with a clio sport 172. So far I've had terrible luck, blew some parts out of the diff casing when I changed into third at 70kmh. So far I have just bought a second hand gearbox to go in, however I can't select any of the gears by hand with the selector. Is there something I'm missing? Should it easily go into gears by hand? I am able to turn the input shaft but the output doesn't spin.

Very new to having gearboxes out of cars and whatnot so any help would be appreciated, thanks.
20180412_192949 (1).jpg

2002 Clio Sport 172
That is true, I kinda pointed out the obvious. Anyway yeah, I cant select any gears by moving the selector with my hand so I'm worried aha.

2002 Clio Sport 172
Nope, I've tried every possible position. I dont want to put too much force on it but I am putting alot, doesn't budge. There is a point where I push it in and move it in one direction it engages into something? I see the selector at 5th gear move but it doesnt go in gear and input shaft still spins by itself. I guess this is what I get for buying a gearbox in "unknown condition". I don't even understand how my diff blew out of my other gearbox.

2002 Clio Sport 172
Not sure, haven't taken the box out yet to look. Has a big hole in the casing and broken bevel gears from diff. If my current gearbox is still good assuming it was just the diff that blew, could I swap the diff from the box I just bought onto my current box? (Edit: And would it be difficult?)