ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Cup

Hi Guys,

Basically I have a budget of around £2500, firstly does everyone think this enough to get a decent condition 172 cup? And if not how much extra am I going to have to spend to get a decentish one.

Secondly I have no idea what Im looking for. I've searched the forum and looked at the buyers guide but i don't really understand anything contained in there as im not very savvy when it comes to cars etc. Can someone explain to me the main things im looking for when it comes to viewing the potential car. Someone mentioned signing up to be a member for access to a buy/sell which id definitely be interested in doing.

Thanks very much for your help

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Yeah ull get a good one for that
Make sure belts have been replaced as this is vital. Dephaser pulley aswell

And check the service history etc

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yep a good cup can be had for that money mate. I'd invest in the membership fee though, especially as you admit your not that clued up on cars. Either stick a wanted thread up or check the for sale adverts, both of which you can view being a member. Good luck with the search :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If I wanted to buy a good cup, I'd want to spend £2500 too. That's a great budget.

Look for a recent exhaust, recent Cambelt and dephaser, recent suspension components etc. that money should buy you a sub 80k car with good paintwork, good quality tyres and full service history.

172 Cup
Yeah definately get a nice one for that. I wouldn't get too obsessed with mileage.
I bought a low miler and have ended replacing all the suspension plus cambelt and dephaser.

I reckon you'll get a peach for that budget.

Watch out as it's coming to winter though, winter = cup killing season!

No ABS semms to make preople forget how to drive :rolleyes:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I honestly can't remember the last time I needed to use abs, even on track etc. in the winter I find abs to be a real pain tbh.

RB 182 195bhp
You should get a great cup for £2500. There are a few on ph for that money that look mint.
I've owned mine a year, only had 3 occasions where abs would have helped at all tbh. It's only useful when one front wheel loses traction under braking but the other doesn't. No abs means one wheel locks up, normally in the wet but you just have to ease off and not be a tool about it. Just don't drive like a idiot, if tvr drivers can cope without abs and traction control, I'm sure Clio drivers can too :)