ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO 172 CUP whats she worth

Hi,

can anyone tell me what my brothers clio cups worth, heres the details-

2002 mk2 (02)

Clio 172

40k miles (full service history)

Blue

standard engine

Standard alloys

upgraded front disks and pads

upgraded front speakers

2 owners from new

please advice of ruff price its worth as he doesnt no what its worth and wants to upgrade to a mk1 v6!

Asap

cheers

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

About £2... im gonna have to keep mine, have lost so much money on it only had it 6 months :(

Burgandy 174 sport t

no chance is it worth that ^^^^ I know thats what they say but....

just look about at whats for sale

172, Tiguan

Its worth 7 privatly if its in good condition, people panic to much when all they do is try and sell their own Clio on here and worry when it doesnt sell after a week!

Stick it in a local rag. People will have heard of the cars reputation but not know how much to pay, give it a few weeks, itll go.

[Edited by jon_r on 01 April 2005 at 11:57am]

I think £7000 would be a good price, I have seen cups going for good money recently.

you might even get away with £7250

/y0z

if he wants a quick sale less than 6 people just dont want them as they are old hat now especially with the 182 been so blody cheap i had my 172 for sale for about 3 months and not one interested person ended up trading it in for 6k

well they would they just dont want to admit they bought a car that plumets in price faster than a rock down a big hole ;)

Burgandy 174 sport t

hahaha I nearly bought a new one for less than that lol, obviously I know ur takin the piss though!! ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Big Iain on 01 April 2005
sorry if its just me but the peeps with cups are sayin its worth more???????

the 172 cups are in demand and seem to be holding their value a bit more.

i think people are realising what a good (and easily upgradable) car they are. unlike the 172 there is BAGS of space under the bonnet to do all sorts of modifications like bodies, radiator moves, as they dont have all the extra bits in there.

lack of abs is also a selling point to some people.

/y0z

Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 01 April 2005
if he wants a quick sale less than 6 people just dont want them as they are old hat now especially with the 182 been so blody cheap i had my 172 for sale for about 3 months and not one interested person ended up trading it in for 6k

i think you are well off the mark there dogmaul.

6000 would get you a MK1 172 with 50k miles.

/y0z

Burgandy 174 sport t

aye fair point y0z, me personally would rather have the bits there for the same price and take em out if I wanted to be able to catch a cup.

^
true.

but that is one thing this cup does have going for it.

one for sale means that (because of the lack of ABS) there are only about 10 left, so exclusivity is high

:)

/y0z

RENAULT CLIO 172 CUP

I paid £7200 for a 52 plate with a full history and 27k. It was registered Jan03. Alloys were slightly kerbed but bodywork mint.

I would say you will get £6500 to £6750 for an 02 plate with 40k.

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 01 April 2005

A Cup should be worth more than a normal 172 surely?
i dont really see how tbh, considering the cup cost about 3k less new.

Remapped derv Golf

Must be a very very early one if its an 02 reg.

I know EVO had an 02 long term test car but I didnt think many dealers got them until 52 reg.

Frostys was one of the first and his was a 52

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 01 April 2005

I doesnt really show yet but I think Cups will be worth more in a few years. Not much more as they werent "limited" enough but sure a few quid more.

I could have bought a 172 for less than a Cup at the dealer I went to - new.

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 01 April 2005

it probably shouldnt be worth more, but to most people its more desirable. its rarer, its a unique colour, it has different alloys. Okay, some creature comforts have been removed, but then again its also faster as a result. Out of the newer Clios id only bother looking at a Cup or 172 Exclusive, too many other on the road now, 182s are fast becoming common as hel too. basically a cup looks sporty, the 172 looks almost lost... in a "who am i/what am i" kinda way

Astra 1.9cdti XP

That fact that there is less of them make no difference. The MK1 is the rarest of them all and it makes squat difference to the price! People want the newest tool and at the moment thats the 182.

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 01 April 2005

That fact that there is less of them make no difference. The MK1 is the rarest of them all and it makes squat difference to the price! People want the newest tool and at the moment thats the 182.
do you know approx how many mk1s there are?

i disagree with you on that one Paul. The Willy 3 is also the rarest, but they are not worth the most, the Willy 1 is. Its all about ownership appeal and desirability to own. To me the Cup has more.

Dont get me wrong, the 182 is a good car even though I like to poke fun at these girly new Clios, but ask yourself this. Does it look like a proper hot hatch? does it look fast? does it stand out? does it look unique to the rest of the range? Now most 182 owners will probably be imagining the back of their car at this point thinking how can you get the 2 confused... but from every other angle it looks too similar to give a second glance. The Cup to me however is different, the colour and alloys make it stand out immediately, so you are in effect forced to look at its subtle but oh so worthwhile differences. In most articles I have seen on the 172/182s they always go on about how the Cup is rawer feeling, gives better feedback etc... They say the 182 with Cup options is great because it makes it feel a bit more like the Mk2 Cup... which in turn is only held in such high regards as it captures some of what was lost when the Williams ended production. For hot hatches people generally buy them because they either want a fast hot hatch... The true enthusiast will generally (if given the option) pick the car that is better to drive, more rewarding etc. Poor quality leather and some alcantera shouldnt really be affecting people thoughts on these type of car, if it was BMW I could understand, but added features on a French car are yet more things to worry about going wrong.

may get one when im looking for a downgrade or slower car tho! http://www.cliosport.net/forum/smileys/smiley3.gifhttp://www.cliosport.net/forum/smileys/smiley2.gifhttp://www.cliosport.net/forum/smileys/smiley15.gifhttp://www.cliosport.net/forum/smileys/smiley12.gifhttp://www.cliosport.net/forum/smileys/smiley11.gif

lol, nah, i really do like Cups, but im very happy with my Willy http://www.cliosport.net/forum/smileys/smiley3.gif. This will certainly be my last hot hatch tho, as fun as they are its time for something a bit bigger and more grown up... R33 V-Spec (ideally) or M3 next

LY R27

Surely they are more mk1 172s in the uk than cups. I beleive only 2400 cups were built for the uk and with the lack of driving aids the cup has they are alot in the scrappy!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

i disagree with you on that one Paul. The Willy 3 is also the rarest, but they are not worth the most, the Willy 1 is. Its all about ownership appeal and desirability to own. To me the Cup has more.

Isnt that what I said? The fact that the car is rare is not the most important factor. MK1 172 is pretty damn rare but they arent worth the most!