ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup rally/race/track car

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Picked up the gearbox off @NorthloopCup tonight. He’s fitted the RSX diff, cw&p and reconditioned the box.

Can’t wait to get this on now. More looking forward to this than the sound of the jenveys.

I’ve also got the car booked in for mapping on the 25th of August at efi
4D745925-69C6-429C-BA17-8CB945399168.jpeg

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
New Clutch, lightened flywheel and box all fitted tonight.

Too a few goes to get the fly wheel on though. For a minute I thought I wasn’t going to fit

8464792A-B794-4CC4-AA8B-960B768262D0.jpeg

This was the hole in the old box
72CC85FC-8861-4C15-B579-E39D33516495.jpeg

Also got a new flange on the 182 manifold. No messing about this week.

Now it’s manifold and subframe back on.
Take it for a test up the road then back I. The garage to fit the jenveys
478856E2-58D0-4030-9250-DDDC61650749.jpeg

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Manifold and this shitty decat is off

507B2417-4788-41CC-8138-42C1300A40D5.jpeg

Hopefully on Monday night the car should be built back up. Just waiting on a new fitting kit for the exhaust and black series arb bushes which are both being delivered on Monday

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Haven’t done anything since Thursday but I’ve had a change of plan.

I was going to fit the box and subframe, have a couple of evenings driving it. Then fit the bodies before mapping.

But I thought sod it. I’m going to do it all at once.

So tonight unplugged all the loom. Just got to discount the ecu and up bolt the loom to the car.
Radiators off along with upper inlet and breather plate
Leaving it looking a mess

E7D856EC-4144-4CDB-898C-4DC73620B076.jpeg

1989B4EB-8A77-44B5-B96F-37747E2008FD.jpeg

Someone who’s had a loom off before... where do these wires go? They go through a grommet in the bulk head under the pas fluid
93DBBE66-19EB-4227-8E5C-AEC3733E710D.jpeg

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
only ones i can think of that aren't in the main plug are alarm?

Cheers ?? I had a quick look but I can’t get the in the to look properly with all the s**t in the garage. I popped my head in but my looks got a million cable ties and tape holding out the way

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
You know when you start something you wish you hadn’t
E9D4B16A-BBA3-4BB3-BADC-0183B4B7F46B.jpeg

The engine loom what came with the bodies has no plugs for the pas pressure switch or dephaser. The car the loom was off was running no vvt. So this loom is coming back off tonight. Old one back on and hopefully source a gen 90 ecu this week.
If I can’t the standard inlet is going back on for the time being

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
It runs.

Now ready for @bloke to finish some niggles and wire a few things up.

EBD7045E-964B-4BAE-BD58-5F2BB54FBCA7.jpeg

Golf rad with the bottom hose welded on an angle and pins welded for the subframe. It just needs a bracket in the top and the fans fitting
334FFD92-2595-4394-A3F6-0EB2620C79DF.jpeg

Nice! From your last update ‘you know when you’ve started something and you wished you hadnt’... I was starting to get worried it would end up like mine........taking months! ???

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Probably the tattyist looking engine bay on a Clio running itbs ?

4C45C1A2-27F9-4E20-8E5E-90E70589DA6E.jpeg

So the car ran and drove all be it up the road and back with no front end on it. Went to move it last night and the fuel pump isn’t priming.
Haven’t had time to check it properly but should be able to figure it out one evening this week.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Got the car started tonight by bodging a live feed to the fuel pump. I’m probably going it wire in a switch for the pump so I can turn it on manually because I can’t figure out what’s wrong and why the live to the tank goes neutral why ignition is cranked

The car pops and bangs like mad. I used to own an rs3 and the pops were loud on that but nothing like this

You can see in the video that it only revs to 4K in neutral. It did this the other day when it ran but cleared. Hopefully it’s just a cold start limiter

I’ve also got rid of the bms shifter and gone pms
514D3D0B-2349-4B9E-A161-629AE7E6C634.jpeg

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
It runs and drives...

Now time for mapping at efi on Sunday.

There is a video here of the new 5.25 final drive pull. Bare in mind I didn’t want to go all the way to the redline as it still isn’t mapped and the dephaser switch is still not wired in.

Since the last event the cars had...
Jenvey throttle bodies
Mk1 golf rad with custom mounts
Recon box
Rsx lsd
Rsx 5.25 final drive
Rsx lightened flywheel
Valeo clutch
182 manifold
Pms decat match the rest of my pms exhaust
Pms shifter
Whiteline arb
2x 9” slimline fans

Swipe for videos

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Catch tank and breather on. Just need to get the hose on a little further
FD3D0F5D-CB6C-43CD-AEF2-2D89698E6788.jpeg

Bumper pods ready to get wired up
C0C5E54A-3338-4272-8D72-57205D84983C.jpeg

BF9C63D0-49D3-4E55-BF1B-768454010BDC.jpeg

So to some new tyre pitches

2 new Kumho softs to go with another set of new super softs for the rear
7E61EBB6-F463-4DCD-A4D9-459AB38B60D9.jpeg

Set of used new style hankooks in soft
ABD57CD7-0B47-47E7-8EF0-BE88D571CE85.jpeg

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Paint the cam cover man ?

I've been looking at tyres today. Funk me they're expensive ?

It’s a rally car not a show car ? I’ve bought another engine to be built at a decent spec, so that one will be nice and shinny.

Tyres are ridiculous. I paid £280 for them kumhos, £100 for the hankooks from us tyres and £320 for the super soft kumhos from tweeks.

Those hankooks new are £170 a tyre ?

What size wheels you running? Some good deals on 16” dmacks at the minute. I’m tempted to buy a set of turinis

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
It’s a rally car not a show car ? I’ve bought another engine to be built at a decent spec, so that one will be nice and shinny.

Tyres are ridiculous. I paid £280 for them kumhos, £100 for the hankooks from us tyres and £320 for the super soft kumhos from tweeks.

Those hankooks new are £170 a tyre ?

What size wheels you running? Some good deals on 16” dmacks at the minute. I’m tempted to buy a set of turinis

And I meant JD tyres not us tyres. Stupid iPhone

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Soft inters for the rear 220 each
Fronts i had a job lot part worns 80 each.
They work well down to the wire

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Everyone seems to rate Michelins. I probably won't go with anything too fancy to begin with, maybe try and pick up a few cheap part worns if possible, just for shakedown purposes.

Running 17" wheels doesn't help greatly I suppose.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yeah have read very mixed stuff about them online, but never really think you can put too much stock in it. Sure they're not as good as a Michelin, but would be very interested to hear an honest review. They are bloody cheap that's for sure.

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
I had some maxsports on the Puma and hated them. On the front they give no confidence turning in and on the rear it felt like they were constantly moving about. They have very soft sidewalls that gave the above affects. They offered good grip though but just didn't like the way they moved about. Have some sliverstones that are much beter and some used Dunlop that are better still. They are the only things I have used so far.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
ADF9AFA0-EAD9-490D-AF0C-E9E5CCA402E8.jpeg

Bonnet pod fitted and wired up. Also got the bumper pod wiring finished ready for them to fix on to the bumper.

61B89897-C6BC-4E8C-9CE3-49B68053E4F3.jpeg

Bought an upper pms engine mount as my red Ktec one kept coming loose and wouldn’t tighten back up.
I had to bend the throttle linkage out the way of one of the bolts on the mount.

I need to fit a longer throttle cable too as there isn’t enough adjustment on this one. It’s to small.
The throttle pedal inside the car is a lot higher than the brake pedal at the minute, which is horrible to drive in anger.
So I’m going to fit a new cable and maybe bend the ph1 pedal to get it in a better position.

Roll on the 7th and 8th of Sept

Still got some bits and bobs to finish off and get all my tyres on the right rims.

If anyone has 2 speedline 2118 let me know and I’ll buy them
141153B5-4CF8-4FA7-B61E-32F8979E2329.jpeg

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yeah will try and pop over. Not sure what time I will get there on Friday. Might be a bit tight to make the first car as leaving Essex at lunchtime.

It's about 220bhp. Nothing too wild, but it's a gravel engine, so probably not running the wildest cams. Still seems to go fairly well though, thanks to the clicky box. A few years back, when it was running an R&D H-pattern box, he lost second or third gear and it was still glued to the back bumper of a Group N Impreza on the straights, so it seems fairly potent! The prom has always come with a bit of bad luck for us, so fingers crossed for this year. A clean run would be nice!

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Goes well for 220bhp. Was having a look at past stage times in the week and was up there with one of the fast fwd.

Me and my brother had a race tonight. The 106 is 150bhp and 120lbft
Mines 194bhp and 170lbft

I only just start to pull away when I get into 4th.

Goes to show how much weight comes into it.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yeah it does seem to go well really. Last year was a shame. If it hadn't been for a bit of miscommunication and a stage maximum, we probably wouldn't have been far off a class podium. It seems to be getting fairly reliable now so here's hoping.

Weight is the big one. The 1600 stuff can go really well. That's the drawback of my car. I think it's going to depress me when I put it on the scales, especially compared to a Clio!

Clio Williams
Good luck for New Brighton. Watch them kerbs, they can do some serious damage. I'm hoping to get down for the Saturday as I'm working the Friday late. Though Saturday's weather is looking wet so I'll see.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Good luck for New Brighton. Watch them kerbs, they can do some serious damage. I'm hoping to get down for the Saturday as I'm working the Friday late. Though Saturday's weather is looking wet so I'll see.

I've got my water proof overalls all ready lol